CFZ Philosophical Difference Might Have Been Option Routes

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I have seen this topic being bounced around on social media, that the big philosophical difference between KM and Big Mike was the option routes.

Most of Dak's actual ints (not picks where the ball hit the WR in the hands and bounced off), but actual picks were misreads on option routes. The WR reads the coverage one way and Dak reads it another way or the WR runs the route wrong by going behind the safety instead of crossing his face. Almost all of Dak's picks in the middle of the field this year were misreads on option routes, see Green Bay game as a perfect example.

The Garrett/KM offense uses a lot of option routes whereas Big Mike is more of a West Coast guy that uses very little option routes and instead focuses on short, quick passes and RAC yards. Most the routes are predetermined and dont change based on coverage, but the coverage dictates where the ball goes. Philosophically speaking, using more West Coast plays with fewer option routes seems like it would be a big benefit to Dak, especially if he and the WRs are just not reading the coverage the same.

Maybe Big Mike wanted to change the offense to use a lot fewer option routes and KM disagreed since a large portion of his playbook is based on using option routes throughout the entire route tree.

So, I dont know if I believe this 100% that this was the main area of friction between KM and Big Mike but I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think.

Haimerej

Reaction score
McCarthy passed 58% of the time in Green Bay. Every offense has option routes, even west coast offenses. Dallas passed 51% of the time this year. If McCarthy's philosophy involves putting it in Dak's hands that much more, then next year is going to be fun, regardless of how it plays out.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
McCarthy passed 58% of the time in Green Bay. Every offense has option routes, even west coast offenses. Dallas passed 51% of the time this year. If McCarthy's philosophy involves putting it in Dak's hands that much more, then next year is going to be fun, regardless of how it plays out.
Personally I think we need to run the ball a lot more, like 60/40 run to pass ratio.

Limit Dak to 20-25 passes a game.....................he needs to be more of a game manager than playing hero ball.

silvernblu

Reaction score
I have seen this topic being bounced around on social media, that the big philosophical difference between KM and Big Mike was the option routes.

Most of Dak's actual ints (not picks where the ball hit the WR in the hands and bounced off), but actual picks were misreads on option routes. The WR reads the coverage one way and Dak reads it another way or the WR runs the route wrong by going behind the safety instead of crossing his face. Almost all of Dak's picks in the middle of the field this year were misreads on option routes, see Green Bay game as a perfect example.

The Garrett/KM offense uses a lot of option routes whereas Big Mike is more of a West Coast guy that uses very little option routes and instead focuses on short, quick passes and RAC yards. Most the routes are predetermined and dont change based on coverage, but the coverage dictates where the ball goes. Philosophically speaking, using more West Coast plays with fewer option routes seems like it would be a big benefit to Dak, especially if he and the WRs are just not reading the coverage the same.

Maybe Big Mike wanted to change the offense to use a lot fewer option routes and KM disagreed since a large portion of his playbook is based on using option routes throughout the entire route tree.

So, I dont know if I believe this 100% that this was the main area of friction between KM and Big Mike but I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys think.
But Dak needs to throw it where his guy or nobody can get it.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
i remember earlier in the year Mike put Moore on notice when he said we should run the ball more, i think even twice, so maybe hes switched to more run focused on this offense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Was this McCarthy passing or Rodgers audibling out of run plays? Maybe that was a big part of the friction that got them at each other's throats? But in reality the WCO features a ton of quick passes subbing for the running game anyway. It would be interesting to look at the air yards Rodgers' passes traveled in Green Bay under McCarthy vs what Dak's have been under Moore. But I don't think the air yards stats go back past 2018..

visionary

Reaction score
One BIG thing that McCarthy needs to do if he is going to have hope of success of success is your practice practice practice the screen game

If we can effectively run screens that adds a lot to the offense to slow down the rush

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Moores choice routes were terrible. Often times the WR would go into more defensive traffic. I won't repeat the curl route nonsense. But you can just blame the QB, it's easier. But the plays where Dak didn't throw an awful ball, there's plenty of evidence illustrating the route confusion. I encourage the All 22, it's amazing what you pick up seeing the whole field.

Another example of poor coaching is that Prescott specifically ranks high in play action plays. Makes me question scheme when we played the 49ers, we didn't run a playaction play until well into the 3rd quarter.
It's been a recurring problem with OCs in Dallas going back to 2007. Abandon or completely ignore situational play success, same as the running game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Personally I think we need to run the ball a lot more, like 60/40 run to pass ratio.

Limit Dak to 20-25 passes a game.....................he needs to be more of a game manager than playing hero ball.
I wonder if he, himself will be able to play that way, even if Jerry signs off.

Much like Jerry and son, Prescott thinks he is better than he actually is by a longshot.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
Stop routes

Recently a couple items have reappeared suggesting Amari Cooper was not a fan of the constant stop routes, and ignored the play call, leading to a 9 route which got a touchdown against the Eagles. He then mentioned it to reporters. Some speculated this caused a riff with the former leadership (OC), which could have lead to his departure.

So If McCarthy was opposed to Cooper being traded, that could be part of it too.

HungryLion

Reaction score

This is all well and good but the offense can’t keep having a RB who gets 2 ypc and run this much. It just won’t work.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Stop routes

Recently a couple items have reappeared suggesting Amari Cooper was not a fan of the constant stop routes, and ignored the play call, leading to a 9 route which got a touchdown against the Eagles. He then mentioned it to reporters. Some speculated this caused a riff with the former leadership (OC), which could have lead to his departure.

So If McCarthy was opposed to Cooper being traded, that could be part of it too.
Agreed. This possible friction between Amari Cooper and Kellen Moore might have been more truthful than the rumors of friction between Dak and Moore.

CWR

Reaction score

CD will do really well with YAC in a WCO. I'd also love to see how Turpin does. Getting him the ball with space to operate could be dangerous.

Daks biggest challenge will be hitting a crossing route in stride, and putting touch on the ball. He has a tendency to fire in the shorter passes and throws too many a step back. If he can get passed that the new offense will be great. We really could use some more speed though.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

Very good point. Heard Keyshawn Johnson talk on the radio saying the QB knows which side to throw to presnap, based on man or zone coverages. It's a more simplistic scheme and the receivers should have a smoother adjustment with Dak.

mardwin

Reaction score

Ok, that means we are paying Dak 40M for something Rush can easily replicate at a more club-friendly salary.