Video: Phylliss George Found Out Roger Staubach Was a Playboy

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Phyllis George, who with Jane Kennedy pioneered beautiful women sportscasters doing one on one interviews, died over the weekend.

However, it made me remember her most famous interview with Cowboys Playboy QB, Roger Staubach, stating he enjoys sex like any other Playboy.

At the end, Staubach brought out his three children and wife to prove it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yeah Roger had some good ones. I can't find it but there was one time Fran Tarkenton was asking Roger if he was upset he didn't get to call his own plays. Roger replied by saying what they do works and you can't argue with success. Something to that effect. Then proceeded to tell Fran that maybe if Bud Grant called the plays he might have won a championship by now. LOL!!

plasticman

Reaction score
I remember it. You couldn't find two quarterbacks with a more dissimilar life style like Staubach and Namath. Roger correctly pointed out that it doesn't mean that their sex drive was any different, Roger was just more discreet and monogamous.

RIP, Phyllis George, former Miss Texas and Miss America, First Lady for the state of Kentucky, lover of football, sports reporting pioneer, and mother.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
LOL. When he was watching film with Dak, he said, "This one was a mistake." It embarrassed his wife and family, but I would tell them not to worry. Fans didn't think less of them.

rags747

Reaction score
Phyllis George, who with Jane Kennedy pioneered beautiful women sportscasters doing one on one interviews, died over the weekend.

However, it made me remember her most famous interview with Cowboys Playboy QB, Roger Staubach, stating he enjoys sex like any other Playboy.

At the end, Staubach brought out his three children and wife to prove it.

No, the quote was I enjoy sex just as much as Joe Namath.

ShortRound

Reaction score
lol smooth.

BN5v43o.gif

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Roger never said he enjoys it as much as any other Playboy! That was an obvious misquote from the get-go.

What he actually said was "I enjoy sex just as much as Joe Namath. The only difference is I do it with one girl."

Big difference there between the misquote and the actual quote. Roger was about as clean-cut as clean-cut gets. :D

kskboys

Reaction score
Roger had a bunch of girls. So, one time he asked Walt Garrison what he was doing to get a boy. Walt replied, "I don't know, but I'll tell you what, if you want to bring Mary Ann(Roger's wife) by the house, I'll try and get ya one."

Walt said Roger was POed at him for 5 years for that crack!!!

plasticman

Reaction score
How much of a playboy was Roger Staubach?

Hint: When he was the MVP of Super Bowl 6, he was presented with a sporty Dodge Charger. He asked if he could trade it in for a stationwagon because he already had three children..........yeah........he was an animal.......

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a couple parts of the great Roger Staubach’s personality that many may not know:
  • He was occasionally a trash talker. He threw some big time shade at the skins bench on several occasions over the years. In a reg season game against the Rams, Roger got sacked by a rams defender at the end of a game where the rams were beating us. Roger jumped up and said, “We’ll see you chokers in the playoffs”. The next time we played the rams was in the ‘75 NFC Championship game and we upset them 37-7. Roger let them know he remembered that sack.

• He was really funny- Staubach had a very dry sense of humor. He was known to make teammates laugh in the huddle to keep things loose. When asked if he had ever seen the stoic Tom Landry laugh, he once quipped, “No but I’ve only been here 5 years.”
The greatest Cowboy was/is a great person too. That interview with Phylis George was a classic.
She was a trailblazer. RIP Phylis Goeorge.

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
He was really funny- Staubach had a very dry sense of humor. He was known to make teammates laugh in the huddle to keep things loose. When asked if he had ever seen the stoic Tom Landry laugh, he once quipped, “No but I’ve only been here 5 years.”

I got a better TOM LANDRY-related quote from Howard Cosell on MNF just before a Cowboy game:

"Here he is,Tom Landry, the laconic head coach of Dallas Cowboys. Despite his taciturnity, he has led the Cowoys to the playoffs in 9 of the last 10 years."

Who other than an English professor, English major in college or some smart kid studying hard for the SAT's knew what the hell he was saying! I did.