Pick One: Knox, Raymond, or Sternberger

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
TEs Dawson Knox, Dax Raymond, and Jace Sternberger are all confirmed as 30 pre-draft visitors, so you know they have something more than just a passing interest in each of these guys.

Obviously, the Cowboys aren’t limited to just selecting from these three TEs, but just as thought experiment let’s say the Cowboys were going to take a TE and it had to be one of these names.

Which one are you taking and why?

cowboyec

Reaction score
Knox.
last time we took a TE from SEC...it worked out really well.
I like Knox's game.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The common denominator among all three of these guys is that they all move well in the open field.

I’m actually higher than most on Dalton Schultz developing as a solid #2, but he doesn’t have what these three guys have.

cowboyec

Reaction score
The common denominator among all three of these guys is that they all move well in the open field.

I’m actually higher than most on Dalton Schultz developing as a solid #2, but he doesn’t have what these three guys have.
I like Schultz also...but adding any of these 3 or Drew Sample whom I really like also to Jarwin and Schultz...thats a good lookin' TE group....and considering how young they are...should be good for awhile.
Witt teachin' em....can only help.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Knox - 6'4" 250 Age 22 - Still learning the position, he was a high school WR and QB before his growth spurt. Also ran track and played basketball in high school.
Raymond - 6'4" 245 Age 24, maybe 25 - Did his 2-year LDS mission out of high school and then redshirted a season at Utah State. Graduated from high school 6 years ago. I like him but my concern is that he's as good (physically matured) as he's going to get.
Sternberger - 6'4" 250 Age 23 (I think) - Originally recruited to Kansas as defensive end. He also went to a junior college before transferring to Texas A&M.

Got to talk to some NFL people this last weekend. One NFL coach suggested Travis Kelce when I asked him his opinion of Knox.

Angus12

Reaction score
Sternberger or Knox.

I don't like drafting age, and Raymond will be a 24 year old rookie. Has he started to peak already?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Im gonna go with Knox. I like the upside and with Witten back this year we may not need as much immediate production.

I like Schulz as an pure inline TE. Should become a plus and is enough of a receiving threat to be able to pass out of big personel groupings

reddyuta

Reaction score
Knox is really getting the hype,wouldnt be surmised if he sneaks into the 2nd Rd.

cnuball21

Reaction score
TEs Dawson Knox, Dax Raymond, and Jace Sternberger are all confirmed as 30 pre-draft visitors, so you know they have something more than just a passing interest in each of these guys.

Obviously, the Cowboys aren’t limited to just selecting from these three TEs, but just as thought experiment let’s say the Cowboys were going to take a TE and it had to be one of these names.

Are we saying based on taking one in the 3rd or just overall where we thing they'll go?

Jace is the most polished but if you're telling me I could have a guy like Knox and his potential in the 5th sign me up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Knox

Knox
6-4, 254
4.51 forty
Good blocker despite limited experience.

Raymond
6-5, 255
Does not really block.

gmoney112

Reaction score
You know who I want.

I'm hungry and don't want any hippy cuisine.

Only thing that can quench this appetite is Stern Burgers.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Are we saying based on taking one in the 3rd or just overall where we thing they'll go?

Jace is the most polished but if you're telling me I could have a guy like Knox and his potential in the 5th sign me up.

Line all three up but you only get one (doesn’t matter which round).

Which TE are you wanting to walk away with?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Have never watched Raymond, don't like Sternberger, really don't like Knox

Knox is just all measurables and no game: he never even scored a touchdown in college despite starting for 2 seasons. Finished with 15 freaking catches last year. He's been a preseason hype sleeper seemingly forever because of his athleticism, but he never even came close to putting it together. As a 5th round pure-upside dart throw, sure, but I'd be ticked if we drafted him any earlier.

Sternberger feels like one of those Gavin Escobar or Dalton Schultz type player: a smooth mover who's not explosive enough to separate from NFL linebackers. And he doesn't offer much as a blocker either. I guess it wouldn't kill me if we picked Sternberger in the 3rd, because we're in such dire straits at TE (some writer said that Jason Witten is already the Cowboys' best run blocking TE straight out of the ESPN booth, and I'd believe him), but I wouldn't be hyped about it either.

From what I've watched, the only real TEs I like in this class are the Iowa guys (both of them are going to be frickin' studs) and Irv Smith. Still need to watch Drew Sample, and apparently this Raymond too.

Smith, I can see pretty easily how he fits. He's nothing special in any one area, but he's versatile enough to play in-line, slot, and H-back, and fast and polished enough to make it as a receiver. Kind of a high-floor, low ceiling move TE. He'd most likely require our second, and while I wouldn't love the pick, I wouldn't hate it either. He'd be a day 1 starter here.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Just got done with a few cutups.

Sample is a dawg when it comes to blocking. Effort is a big part of blocking for skill players IMO, but effort alone doesn't beat NFL linebackers. What makes Sample so impressive is that he brings that "punisher" mentality as a blocker - he's just going to grab on and ride you out of the play until the whistle - with the frame and strength for it to translate to the NFL level. He should be a hell of a pro blocker.

As a receiver though, he is a 1000% projection. Literally the only route that Washington asked him to run was a 2 yard drag across the line of scrimmage. There is basically nothing to go off of him as a receiver (looking it up, he did get 26 catches this year, which somehow is almost twice as much as Dawson Knox). He tested as a dead-average 50th percentile athlete at the Combine, which is really intriguing cause the average NFL TE is a still a good athlete. So there may be some receiving potential there with him yet. Just as an armchair Youtube scout, I can't see enough to make any sort of prediction for the pro level. This is why Will McClay gets paid a bit more than I do.

Dax Raymond...I like this guy. He has decent speed, but more than that, I like the twitch that he has. He can make some very sudden cuts and breaks. Catches the ball away from his body too.

24 year old rookie sucks, small-school competition and coaching kind of sucks, his blocking really sucks (he puts in the effort, but his "technique" is literally just running into a guy and grabbing him), but purely as a "big slot" TE, I can see him having the potential to work out. I have no idea where he is valued at, but I would take a shot on him in the 4th or 5th. Kind of looks like a little better version of Blake Jarwin.

Gaede

Reaction score
Have never watched Raymond, don't like Sternberger, really don't like Knox

Knox is just all measurables and no game: he never even scored a touchdown in college despite starting for 2 seasons. Finished with 15 freaking catches last year. He's been a preseason hype sleeper seemingly forever because of his athleticism, but he never even came close to putting it together. As a 5th round pure-upside dart throw, sure, but I'd be ticked if we drafted him any earlier.

Sternberger feels like one of those Gavin Escobar or Dalton Schultz type player: a smooth mover who's not explosive enough to separate from NFL linebackers. And he doesn't offer much as a blocker either. I guess it wouldn't kill me if we picked Sternberger in the 3rd, because we're in such dire straits at TE (some writer said that Jason Witten is already the Cowboys' best run blocking TE straight out of the ESPN booth, and I'd believe him), but I wouldn't be hyped about it either.

From what I've watched, the only real TEs I like in this class are the Iowa guys (both of them are going to be frickin' studs) and Irv Smith. Still need to watch Drew Sample, and apparently this Raymond too.

Smith, I can see pretty easily how he fits. He's nothing special in any one area, but he's versatile enough to play in-line, slot, and H-back, and fast and polished enough to make it as a receiver. Kind of a high-floor, low ceiling move TE. He'd most likely require our second, and while I wouldn't love the pick, I wouldn't hate it either. He'd be a day 1 starter here.

Great breakdown. I agree completely.

Knox is all upside--not a big fan. Sternberger, I like but not really. Definitely reminds me of an Escobar-type of player. Raymond is old and has a long list of injuries.

Smith is a solid starter.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Knox, Sternberger and Raymond distant third for me.
Knox has the most upside of the three by far and blocks better than either Sternberger or Raymond.