Pick One: Knox, Raymond, or Sternberger

The Realist

Reaction score
Please don’t draft Dax Raymond. He didn’t even come close to dominating a low level of competition. I’m not a fan of older prospects either. I haven’t been thinking of TE before 4th round since Witten came back. If we do take one I hope we would trade down slightly from 58 to top of 3 and take Knox perhaps. Too many other needs.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Line all three up but you only get one (doesn’t matter which round).

Which TE are you wanting to walk away with?

If we play the hypothetical that we’d have to use a 2nd to get Jace and could get Knox with a 4th, I’ll take Knox.

Sternberger is the best player without question for me, but I like the value of Knox’s traits in the 4th.

A year 1 TE isn’t getting a lot of snaps this year so give the kid with high upside we have time to develop.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I know we haven't brought these guys in but if we're really starting to look at TEs that may be more receiver than blocker we should. Warring or Oliver whichever one is there on day 3. On NFL.com they're both rated higher than Sternberger and Warring is rated above Knox.

Kahale Warring
Overview

Exciting and ascending, Warring is still a relative newcomer to the game, but he has the size, speed and athleticism to become a versatile, high-impact player on the pro level. He has the competitiveness to handle run-blocking duties and the talent to line up in the slot. While his production won't catch your eye, his tape does with quickness and ball skills that should make him a more productive target in the NFL than he was in college.
Strengths
  • Chiseled, athletic frame with very good size
  • Has blocking toughness and just needs to improve technique
  • Snaps hands and hips into engagement
  • Good radar in space as move-blocker
  • Races off snap and into seam with plus acceleration
  • Early speed to lose linebackers
  • Nifty, quick feet for sharp directional change in routes
  • Talented to work all three levels as receiver
  • Former basketball player and it shows
  • Able to post up defenders and win body positioning
  • Sudden leaper with springs to win at the high-point
  • Makes mid-air ball adjustments
  • Ability to run past or drag tacklers after catch

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kahale-warring?id=32195741-5275-2700-ebaf-ccabda046f86

Josh Oliver
Overview

Above-average, mid-air athlete with plus ball skills who was forced to deal with coverages that were consistently shaded in his direction thanks to an excessive target count. Oliver's route-running and ball-tracking talent allow him to work beyond the first level and can help NFL team's looking to push the ball downfield. Oliver will flash as an in-line blocker at times but might need to enter the league as a TE2/3 who works from the slot until he becomes more skilled and consistent at the point of attack.
Strengths
  • Highly regarded by teammates
  • Has put in necessary time and work to improve his body and skill set
  • Heavily-targeted primary receiver asked to work all three levels
  • Good hip flip for easy work-around against jamming linebackers
  • Uses fully formed route tree with all the branches
  • Good balance and attention to detail in his routes
  • Accelerates to separate out of turn and stems
  • Good speed alterations to adjust to throws behind him
  • Able to maintain top speed throughout ball-tracking if needed
  • Majestic, bounding strides to rise and capture high throws in deep middle
  • Superb body control and catch radius to turn incompletions into catches
  • Developed quick hands thanks to throws that were put on top of him prematurely
  • Catches through crunching blows from safeties sniping at him
  • Shows capacity to improve and help in pass protection
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-oliver?id=32194f4c-4952-4360-2a59-44a3fa93d63f
There’s always that one guy that doesn’t Anna play by the rules...

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Sternberger by a wide margin.

I think people are selling him short with the Escobar comparisons. They both have soft hands and a large catch radius, but Escobar failed because dude was too soft and timid. Sternberger plays with much more physicality.

You watch Sternberger play and you can see he doesn't lack confidence. There was one play in particular vs. Alabama where he lowered his shoulder and made a Bama defender's helmet go flying. Then he gets right up into dude's face.

He's more Hunter Henry than he is Escobar.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Please don’t draft Dax Raymond. He didn’t even come close to dominating a low level of competition. I’m not a fan of older prospects either. I haven’t been thinking of TE before 4th round since Witten came back. If we do take one I hope we would trade down slightly from 58 to top of 3 and take Knox perhaps. Too many other needs.

There’s nothing you can do; it’s fappening.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Sternberger by a wide margin.

I think people are selling him short with the Escobar comparisons. They both have soft hands and a large catch radius, but Escobar failed because dude was too soft and timid. Sternberger plays with much more physicality.

You watch Sternberger play and you can see he doesn't lack confidence. There was one play in particular vs. Alabama where he lowered his shoulder and made a Bama defender's helmet go flying. Then he gets right up into dude's face.

He's more Hunter Henry than he is Escobar.

I don’t get the Escobar comp. at all. Honestly, I think he and Jarwin’s skill sets aren’t that dissimilar. I really believe if Jarwin was 5th or 6th round pick for us folks would be much higher on him, but because he was undrafted free agent they see him expendable trash.

Some of those catches he made in the last quarter of the season Witten couldn’t make even in his prime.

Last edited:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I really don't think we need to use a premium pick on a TE. Maybe get a blocking TE late in the draft.

Jarwin and Schultz need time to develop. If they don't draft a TE at all it will be fine with me.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Knox.
last time we took a TE from SEC...it worked out really well.
I like Knox's game.
Knox’s hands are suspect. Don’t like him.

Just watched more of Raymond’s highlights and think he’s going to be a stud. He’s fast w/ great hands. I want him first then Sternberger.

Last edited: