CFZ Pivotal Season for Cowboys and Dak Prescott

Bermystar12

Reaction score
There are many ways to spin the events of this offseason, each of which have been covered more than adequately right here in our community.

Did the Jones' do enough to acquire quality players / depth outside of the draft? No probably not, I don't think many (if any) would argue that. Their reasonings have been debated back and forth since the SF playoff game ended with many interesting suggestions raised. That debate, like many others, will never end...

Was Tyler Smith the right OL for this team? A reach on a project? A smart investment in a mauler to return glory to the run game?

Is Ceedee a true number 1 WR? Can he be?

Is the defense legit? Or were they too much feast and famine and unlikely to reproduce?

Can Diggs be a lockdown CB? Can Micah maintain his pace?

None of these questions are likely to be answered prior to September 11 kickoff, and even a few weeks after, but they'll all be secondary to one very interesting development. The question of Dak's ability to be a next level leader at QB will be answered, bit by bit, week by week for 18 weeks, live and in color!

In the past Dak has thrived when all his weapons are polished and ready to go, and when the artillery is well stocked - Great OL, Top flight RB, stable of WRs. Any time those things weren't in place his step back in production was noticeable. However, there were always other factors as well - the ankle, the shoulder, the calf - well now, six years later, fully healthy for the whole offseason, for the first time ever, those other factors don't exist.

Can Dak put this team on his back and deliver results? Can he do more with less as we have seen truly elite QBs do? Love him or hate him, all Cowboys' fans should be hoping the answer to these questions is yes unequivocally. But one thing is for sure, they will be no longer up for debate by the time the dust settles on the 2022 NFL season.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I think the key to this entire season is in the hands of Joe Philbin and the OLine . As they go so goes the offense . Not worried about the defense but when you look at SB winners they take the field and they SCORE POINTS . Into the 30’s lately .

DQ and his crew can ball hawk recover fumbles give the O field position but then you got to punch it in .

Bermystar12

Reaction score
I think the key to this entire season is in the hands of Joe Philbin and the OLine . As they go so goes the offense . Not worried about the defense but when you look at SB winners they take the field and they SCORE POINTS . Into the 30’s lately .

DQ and his crew can ball hawk recover fumbles give the O field position but then you got to punch it in .
Amen brother. Philbin has not been my favourite, and I'll admit to wanting him gone. But he is still here and his task is nearly monumental. But along with Kellen they have to build an offense that can succeed with this OL. Hope they get it right. I am hoping for plenty 2 TE looks. OJ Howard available...jussayin lol

RonWashington

Reaction score
Amen brother. Philbin has not been my favourite, and I'll admit to wanting him gone. But he is still here and his task is nearly monumental. But along with Kellen they have to build an offense that can succeed with this OL. Hope they get it right. I am hoping for plenty 2 TE looks. OJ Howard available...jussayin lol

Along these lines yes running the ball is nice and I thought Malik Davis between the tackles fit right into a three headed attack the defense had to stop fresh legs . Shuttle them in and out as I’ve seen SF do effectively with its bright young innovative coach … I’ve not seen enough of Dowdle to have any confidence in that .

And prove me wrong but showing guys like Watkins the door not to mention Tafua at edge but keeping Ridgeway ?

Bermystar12

Reaction score
Along these lines yes running the ball is nice and I thought Malik Davis between the tackles fit right into a three headed attack the defense had to stop fresh legs . Shuttle them in and out as I’ve seen SF do effectively with its bright young innovative coach … I’ve not seen enough of Dowdle to have any confidence in that .

And prove me wrong but showing guys like Watkins the door not to mention Tafua at edge but keeping Ridgeway ?
Yeah, I am genuinely hoping the staff are able to establish and commit to a dominant run game. I thought that the day they made the Tyler Smith pick, it only makes sense, more so with the Tyron injury.

Malik Davis was someone I hoped would stick, the power he ran with and finished with would be awesome paired with Zeke and Tony, especially should Zeke miss anytime he could have been the finisher. Dowdle is solid but I don't think he brings a special dynamic like Davis' power (but hey, I'm no coach).

I will still reserve my final analysis on roster cuts though because a lot of it is just playing the numbers for now.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Unfortunately every season since the mid-90's has seemingly been a pivotal season for the Dallas Cowboys, not obviously because of Dak. There are many questions about the team given the WR depth, OL depth, and if Zeke can rebound but none of us will know anything until the season begins. Until then all we can do is hope for the best.

Bermystar12

Reaction score
Unfortunately every season since the mid-90's has seemingly been a pivotal season for the Dallas Cowboys, not obviously because of Dak. There are many questions about the team given the WR depth, OL depth, and if Zeke can rebound but none of us will know anything until the season begins. Until then all we can do is hope for the best.
Preface - I'm not a US Citizen, but thank you for your service...no words homie.

Hope against hope. What good is a brand new clean slate 0-0 season worth if we can't at least hope! I'm with you brotha!

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Dak only counts for 19 million against the cap this year. He already counts for 23 million in 2025 after his contract has already expired. What you are watching is the Cowboys essentially going all in. Pivotal season? Completely agree. Very little reason to think the team will be better next year or the year after when Dak cap hit is 50+ million.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don’t think anything really changes if the cowboys go .500 and miss the playoffs; all of those questions we can just ask again in 2023. Dak is in no danger for at least the next couple of years, and all this does is build in excuses as to what Dallas needs to do for Dak next offseason. If CeeDee goes out and gets outplayed every week by Gallup, he’ll still be the starter and likely #1 in another *pivotal* season next year, except you’ll pick up his fifth year option no matter what so even then it isn’t that pivotal. Diggs will get his monster deal after this year regardless of how he plays, 2022 was more enough to carry over and Jerry knows he’ll get it in FA if he leaves.

I think every year feels pivotal for fans, as well as an elderly coach. But what would Jerry really change if the season didn’t go as well as he wanted?

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Dak is fine regardless of how he plays.

Everyone else will be blamed first. Moore fired, McCarthy fired, and the draft will be focused on getting him different weapons to try.

Dak is the safest players on this team when it comes to who's job is on the line. It's unfortunate, because he's a problem, but it's also true.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I think Dak will have big stats likes passing yards and completion %. But where he fails is under pressure in the 2 minute drill and red zone. We NEED 80 yards at the end of the game to win and he turns into check down Charlie. Dalton Schultz for a 3 yard out pattern. Throw to the RB... He gets so scared that he holds onto the ball that causes most of his sacks. Red zone is the same. I was a big Dak fan his first few years too. As a team we aren't good enough to overcome Dak.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dak only counts for 19 million against the cap this year. He already counts for 23 million in 2025 after his contract has already expired. What you are watching is the Cowboys essentially going all in. Pivotal season? Completely agree. Very little reason to think the team will be better next year or the year after when Dak cap hit is 50+ million.

The perplexing part is why Jerry & Co., in knowing Dak's cap hit jumps from $19.7M in 2022 to $49.1M in 2023, didn't do more this off-season to surround Dak with more talent. Instead there is a lack of depth in the WR group as well as the O-Line group (not to mention seeing if Zeke bounces back) so if the approach was Dak needs to prove himself worthy of the new contract with less talent than I for one am confused.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak wont last 3 games before hes hurt and misses significant time due to this shabby left side of the line with a weak center as well. FIRST, Farniok was CLEARLY the better center in camp and during games. Secondly, Tyler Smith isnt even close to being a tackle in the NFL. Hes a guard that needs 1 year to adapt to the NFL level if hes gonna play LT. This aint Tulsa. Jerry is a magnanimous moron. We need 2 sign a Vet starter at LT. Tyler has a high ankle sprain as well.

Bermystar12

Reaction score

Everyone else will be blamed first. Moore fired, McCarthy fired, and the draft will be focused on getting him different weapons to try.

Dak is the safest players on this team when it comes to who's job is on the line. It's unfortunate, because he's a problem, but it's also true.

I don’t think anything really changes if the cowboys go .500 and miss the playoffs; all of those questions we can just ask again in 2023. Dak is in no danger for at least the next couple of years, and all this does is build in excuses as to what Dallas needs to do for Dak next offseason. If CeeDee goes out and gets outplayed every week by Gallup, he’ll still be the starter and likely #1 in another *pivotal* season next year, except you’ll pick up his fifth year option no matter what so even then it isn’t that pivotal. Diggs will get his monster deal after this year regardless of how he plays, 2022 was more enough to carry over and Jerry knows he’ll get it in FA if he leaves.

I think every year feels pivotal for fans, as well as an elderly coach. But what would Jerry really change if the season didn’t go as well as he wanted?

I think you are both right about Dak being safe. I don't think there's a chance at all that his place on the team is in question. What I do believe though is that it'll be hard to deny whther or not he is able to carry the team, as is expected of elite QBS. This team, this year, is set up to be successful only if Dak can be great. So I believe the Dak debate on that end will be settled. Sure there will still be arguments, but the question, in my estimation, will be answered one way or another.

Thanks both of you for the insight feedback

Bermystar12

Reaction score
The perplexing part is why Jerry & Co., in knowing Dak's cap hit jumps from $19.7M in 2022 to $49.1M in 2023, didn't do more this off-season to surround Dak with more talent. Instead there is a lack of depth in the WR group as well as the O-Line group (not to mention seeing if Zeke bounces back) so if the approach was Dak needs to prove himself worthy of the new contract with less talent than I for one am confused.
Yeah, the inability to acquire talent this offseason has been perplexing.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

He needs 7 more years and then he will be ready. It's a process.