CFZ Player development: Best candidates for a breakout season

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The addition of impactful talent doesn’t just automatically happen when players are acquired in the draft or free agency. It must also include the development of young players- taking your draft picks and refining them into good NFL players. The Cowboys the last several seasons have become not only one of the better drafting teams in the league, but also one of the better developers of NFL talent. Development is part coaching and part having patience.

Every year, a young player or two emerges from the shadows and becomes a breakout player. I would define a “breakout player” as a someone who has never played a big role with the team who becomes either a starter or role player with impact. Recent examples include Cedee Lamb in 2020, Tony Pollard, Cedric Wilson, Travon Diggs and Terrance Steele in 2021, Tyler Smith, DaRon Bland and Dorrance Armstrong in 2022.

So…Who will emerge this year as the Cowboys’ breakout players who will have impact? Here are my candidates:
  • Sam Williams- he had a good rookie season with 4 sacks and 9 QB hits. And that was accomplished while only playing about 15 snaps a game. He needs to add some off-field maturity as exemplified by his car accident last year. But his talent is obvious. He could be a major upgrade in the pass rush this year.
  • Jake Ferguson- last year’s 4th round pick had a decent rookie year with 19 receptions and 2 TDs. I expect to see major growth in year two, probably doubling his receptions and TDs. The trio of Ferguson, rookie Like Schoonmaker and last year’s UFA surprise Peyton Hendershot, the TE position can be a real strength.
  • Matt Waletzko- a shoulder injury kept him sidelined last year. If he’s healthy, stronger, and has learned more about adjusting to the NFL game, Waletzko could be a key role player for the OL this year.
  • Deuce Vaughn- I know many fans see him as too small and a long shot to even make the team. That could happen. But having seen Deuce play for KState numerous times, I think he can be an impactful player by mid-season.
Who’s on your list of breakout players this year and why?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh man this could be a long list, or short list, depending on the opportunities given.

I would add Daron Bland. though some may say last year was a break out season. But this season could be more so. He could solidify his CB spot taking over for Gilmore depending if he gets to play some CB as opposed to the slot.

Though it may not be a breakout type season, but one of the WR's can step up and at least be the solid 4th WR. Will be be Fehoko or Tolbert or someone else?

Can one or even 2 of the younger DL step up as well. Golston, Odighizuwa, or even Bohanna step up.

Mukaumu was looking decent toward the end of the year, how much playing time does Bell get. Does the light go on for Joseph and Wright.

Probably a few other players as well. But for some it is a make or break TC. Joseph, Wright, Coyle, does he do enough to move up. At LB, Jabril Cox, Harper.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • Sam Williams- he had a good rookie season with 4 sacks and 9 QB hits. And that was accomplished while only playing about 15 snaps a game. He needs to add some off-field maturity as exemplified by his car accident last year. But his talent is obvious. He could be a major upgrade in the pass rush this year.
Just a feeling but I feel like Williams will be beasting this season. His production was totally rookie-driven last year. Experience should add some seasoning. I hope we will all sit back and watch him cook this season, regardless if it will be as a situational player.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Chauncey Golston
Sam Williams
Damone Clark
Israel Mukuamu
Deuce Vaughn

I feel the defensive players will breakout as they get an opportunity this season. Golston and Mukuamu got crucial snaps vs 49ers and balled, so they seem ready. Clark is in position to make an impact. Sam needs to play more snaps over Fowler and DA. Deuce is a Playmaker added to the offense he should do well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a feeling but I feel like Williams will be beasting this season. His production was totally rookie-driven last year. Experience should add some seasoning. I hope we will all sit back and watch him cook this season, regardless if it will be as a situational player.
I agree about him. I saw several times where it was close but no cigar and he just missed in making a big play. I expect a year of experience will help him to seal the deal more.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chauncey Golston
Sam Williams
Damone Clark
Israel Mukuamu
Deuce Vaughn

I feel the defensive players will breakout as they get an opportunity this season. Golston and Mukuamu got crucial snaps vs 49ers and balled, so they seem ready. Clark is in position to make an impact. Sam needs to play more snaps over Fowler and DA. Deuce is a Playmaker added to the offense he should do well.
I should have included Damone Clark. He certainly showed some big potential last year. Israel Mukuamu also should be on the list. He had several good moments late last year.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Idk if he counts as a breakout, exactly, but Michael Gallup being healthy and confident in the knee should make a huge difference for him.

From this list, I think Waletzko could be a real difference-maker. While I don't expect it, assuming Tyron misses his annual games, Waletzko could start at LT.

conner01

Reaction score
Idk if he counts as a breakout, exactly, but Michael Gallup being healthy and confident in the knee should make a huge difference for him.

From this list, I think Waletzko could be a real difference-maker. While I don't expect it, assuming Tyron misses his annual games, Waletzko could start at LT.
I like Wally a lot. I don’t expect this to be the year because his technique and strength was where he needed to grow as a player. An nfl off season can work wonders but technique is really huge. But I think he’s a guy who could develop in time into a solid player

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Offense - TEs and WRs & OL , hope schoonmaker can contribute effectively and Fergusson, Pendershot takes another forward step, plus Jalen Tolbert finally starts something , either route running , separation or stretching the field. OL - backup tackle and guard some one emerges from the likes of Waletzko, Chuma, Farniok and Richards.

Defense - DE, LB & CB- Sam williams should figure out some things ( plus better conditioning) , Clarke finally show why he was a steal , Bland to realize his full potential .

if these things happen we will have a very competitive team.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I like Wally a lot. I don’t expect this to be the year because his technique and strength was where he needed to grow as a player. An nfl off season can work wonders but technique is really huge. But I think he’s a guy who could develop in time into a solid player
Yea, strength will probably be the question.

But he should have been able to do a ton of technique work over the last ~7 months. It's not just one offseaosn.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
He needs to breakout, but I dont know about his head and heart. Im on the fence with him. Has all the talent but not sold about the rest of him yet.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
How can a rookie be in consideration?

Shouldnt they have to Break In before they Break Out? smh

Tolbert
Cox and Harper
Fergie and Hendersot
Bland
Maybe Bell
Tyler Smith - He already showed to be capable, but I think hes on track for Pro Bowl consideration

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can a rookie be in consideration?

Shouldnt they have to Break In before they Break Out? smh

Tolbert
Cox and Harper
Fergie and Hendersot
Bland
Maybe Bell
Tyler Smith - He already showed to be capable, but I think hes on track for Pro Bowl consideration
I think when a rookie exceeds expectations, he's having a breakout season. I think Tyler Smith had a breakout season last year and firmly believe Mazi Smith will this year.