Players at 58 That Wont Upset You

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
And that’s why I see guard as another possibility. Looney or a Center in the draft wouldn’t hurt, or a guard to take Looney’s spot if he has to fill back in for t-fred..

agreed an interior offensive lineman might be exactly what we need in case something does go horribly wrong. Essentially it would be insurance in case something went wrong with Frederick still as we're not sure just how it feel will he will be this year.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Thornhill and Savage are Safeties.
Samuel (note no s at the end) is a slot receiver.
Furgeson is a DE from LA Tech.

You can go to this link and find any guy being talked about. Towards the upper right is place where you can type in the last name and find those guys if you’re not sure of position.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects

I use that one and CBS, But The Zone feeds my draft info primarily lol

And alot of Zoners are as good or even better than all the Big Name pundits that everyone else likes to follow.

Especially in regards to what this team both needs and doesn’t need, yet ends up being a major upgrade anyways..

I value alot of posters info on the draft annually...

And thanks to all who do the work...

cnuball21

Reaction score
Off the top (and those that I think are actually realistically available at 58):

Thornhill
Savage
Samuels
Ferguson (shades of Greg Ellis)

I just think a WR in the 2nd would be foolish.

If we didn’t have a #2 I felt great about I could get on board, but it seems like a wasted pick IMO.

You can’t get a #3 / slot WR in the 4th or later.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I just think a WR in the 2nd would be foolish.

If we didn’t have a #2 I felt great about I could get on board, but it seems like a wasted pick IMO.

You can’t get a #3 / slot WR in the 4th or later.

What if it turned out to be a talent that looks better than our #3 WR, or even better than Gallop? Is that truly wasted?

BPA isn’t wasted if it’s truly BPA, assuming it upgrades your roster effectively and immediately...

DFWJC

Reaction score
Anything less than this fanspeak simulation will upset me.

58: R2P26

WR DK METCALF
OLE MISS
90: R3P26

S JUAN THORNHILL
VIRGINIA
128: R4P26

EDGE ANTHONY NELSON
IOWA
136: R4P34

DL RENELL WREN
ARIZONA STATE
165: R5P27

CB JUSTIN LAYNE
MICHIGAN STATE
241: R7P27

RB ELIJAH HOLYFIELD
GEORGIA
LOL

Good luck with the total fantasy joke that is Fan Speak.

Juan Thornhill at 128? Yeah right.
....would be all over him at 58

cnuball21

Reaction score
What if it turned out to be a talent that looks better than our #3 WR, or even better than Gallop? Is that truly wasted?

BPA isn’t wasted if it’s truly BPA, assuming it upgrades your roster effectively and immediately...

If you’re drafting someone that would be a clear cut upgrade over Gallup I’d listen...but it’s not a strong WR class. Who do you think offers that at 58?

If you’re talking about upgrading the WR3, hard pass at 58. Again, you can get that person much later in the draft and the #3 WR in our scheme is like the 5th receiving option in the team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off I hope we go BPA to some degree or trade down, others might believe we go BPA according to need but sometimes you get a dud when u do that. There are certain positions if taken at 58 that some might consider to be a waste such as corner, running back, and maybe even guard but the value might be hard to pass on like maybe a guard lol. Some people might even believe taking a TE would be a waste but if the talent is there and he’s pure BPA, well u just gotta take it..

Ok here is the list of positions that I believe we could upgrade, some might be obvious, others maybe not so much. Positions that I believe we could use an upgrade at are down below.

Name the potential player that could Possibly fall to us at 58 for the following positions that you Wouldn’t be mad about us taking:

Safety-
1-Tech-
3-Tech-
DE-
WR-
OT-
G-
TE-
Other ______.
Trade Down.

Late 2nd (#58) is more likely than the 1st to have multiple players with similar grades.

Occasionally there will be a high rated player such as in 2009 when the Cowboys had pick #51 and passed on a player they had rated as a 1st round pick (LeSean McCoy was drafted at #53).

The McCoy example is an exception to the norm.

The years of Cowboys leaked draft boards and other years when their media guys (Broaddus and crew) revealed after the draft how the Cowboys had some players rated gave us some insight. They normally had multiple players with similar ratings available at their 2nd round pick.

I would not trade down. Maybe trade up. They have OK players at almost all positions but need more impact players regardless of position.

One true impact DLineman added would make a big difference.

I would take 1 impact DL over the combination of an OK TE and OK Safety.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Late 2nd (#58) is more likely than the 1st to have multiple players with similar grades.

…....
This is a really true and important point.

The odds are way higher that at 58, we will have several players rated in the same tier at multiple positions.

Now, if someone is still there that we have rated way higher than the rest (so not in the same tier as the rest) you almost have to take that player regardless of position.
or make a trade down, get an extra pick, and still get one of the guys in the larger tier.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
If you’re drafting someone that would be a clear cut upgrade over Gallup I’d listen...but it’s not a strong WR class. Who do you think offers that at 58?

If you’re talking about upgrading the WR3, hard pass at 58. Again, you can get that person much later in the draft and the #3 WR in our scheme is like the 5th receiving option in the team.

I don’t watch college football. I’m posing the questions to garner educated responses from those that do. I have no idea which WR would fall to us at 58 that is potentially better than Gallop. Purely hypothetical at this point anyways.

And excellent point about WR#3. I can see Garrett and Moore possibly lobying for an impactful replacement for Beastly...

I hope it ends up being a 1-Tech, 3-Tech, or Safety at 58. Will settle for the rest on my list if the value is there...

cnuball21

Reaction score
I don’t watch college football. I’m posing the questions to garner educated responses from those that do. I have no idea which WR would fall to us at 58 that is potentially better than Gallop. Purely hypothetical at this point anyways.

And excellent point about WR#3. I can see Garrett and Moore possibly lobying for an impactful replacement for Beastly...

I hope it ends up being a 1-Tech, 3-Tech, or Safety at 58. Will settle for the rest on my list if the value is there...

OK, well if that's the case I'll help you out and inform you that there will not be an impact WR available at 58 that will be a significantly better prospect than Gallup was.

The Realist

Reaction score
Off the top (and those that I think are actually realistically available at 58):

Thornhill
Savage
Samuels
Ferguson (shades of Greg Ellis)

The weak side end from La Tech or where he goes reminds you of Ellis? Isn’t he much smaller and known for quickness?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
OK, well if that's the case I'll help you out and inform you that there will not be an impact WR available at 58 that will be a significantly better prospect than Gallup was.

Not even a Sleeper?:omg:

Remember Gallup at 3 was considered a Sleeper Pick, nobody was banging on trees to pimp this cat. Colorado isn’t sexy for those other Alumns many fancy.

Fan of Gallup, wouldn’t mind another one if one fell to us...

cnuball21

Reaction score
Not even a Sleeper?:omg:

Remember Gallup at 3 was considered a Sleeper Pick, nobody was banging on trees to pimp this cat. Colorado isn’t sexy for those other Alumns many fancy.

Fan of Gallup, wouldn’t mind another one if one fell to us...
'
For a team with 2 solid, young WRs you don't draft a "sleeper" at 58.

Gallup was also not considered a sleeper, he was a very well known prospect among the folks that follow the draft, he just went to a small school. A lot of analysts had him in their top 100, and he was PFFs highest graded receiver the year he came out.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Occasionally there will be a high rated player such as in 2009 when the Cowboys had pick #51 and passed on a player they had rated as a 1st round pick (LeSean McCoy was drafted at #53).

The McCoy example is an exception to the norm.

The years of Cowboys leaked draft boards and other years when their media guys (Broaddus and crew) revealed after the draft how the Cowboys had some players rated gave us some insight. They normally had multiple players with similar ratings available at their 2nd round pick.

I would not trade down. Maybe trade up. They have OK players at almost all positions but need more impact players regardless of position.

One true impact DLineman added would make a big difference.

I would take 1 impact DL over the combination of an OK TE and OK Safety.

Great point.

#58 is about the last point of the draft where you have a good shot at finding starter material, trading that 2nd for two 3rds or an extra 4th is a suckers game. That's how you get 09'ed again. I don't think we really have the ammo to trade up far enough to make it worthwhile, but I wouldn't move down either.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Great point.

#58 is about the last point of the draft where you have a good shot at finding starter material, trading that 2nd for two 3rds or an extra 4th is a suckers game. That's how you get 09'ed again. I don't think we really have the ammo to trade up far enough to make it worthwhile, but I wouldn't move down either.

With how loaded this draft is along the DL, I honestly believe we'll see a 1st rounder or 2 drop to the 2nd.

If that's the case, and we can move up inside the top 50 to grab him I'm in.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
'
For a team with 2 solid, young WRs you don't draft a "sleeper" at 58.

Gallup was also not considered a sleeper, he was a very well known prospect among the folks that follow the draft, he just went to a small school. A lot of analysts had him in their top 100, and he was PFFs highest graded receiver the year he came out.

Perhaps you are correct. I don’t recall any hoopla about Gallup. They need more coverage of rounds 3-4. Lots of good players out there you hardly hear about till after the draft..

No more head cases and injury delays though, 58 needs to be a day one player...

cnuball21

Reaction score
Perhaps you are correct. I don’t recall any hoopla about Gallup. They need more coverage of rounds 3-4. Lots of good players out there you hardly hear about till after the draft..

No more head cases and injury delays though, 58 needs to be a day one player...

Lol, that we can agree on my friend. Someone with NO off the field drama or injury concerns would be nice!