CFZ Players' perception: Outcoached or outplayed?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you noticed something about the different teams over the years that they share?

Once the open questions about coaching start, they seem to hide behind that.

We saw that with Wade Phillips when they flat shut down on him and Garrett took over and they responded favorably.

With the Cowboys, it always seems to be blamed on the coaching. And they sure let that run wild in the media, don't want any hardball questions coming their way when there is a scapegoat available.

I see a lot of blame here laid on the coaching, primarily the HC, OB and OLC. But what about the execution?

Was the wrong play called or was it poorly executed?

I am not defending the coaching because I think it is mediocre but then I know what the HC's job really is, to make the GM comfortable.

Just make sure you weigh calling vs execution when you make your call.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Have you noticed something about the different teams over the years that they share?

We saw that with Wade Phillips when they flat shut down on him and Garrett took over and they responded favorably.

With the Cowboys, it always seems to be blamed on the coaching. And they sure let that run wild in the media, don't want any hardball questions coming their way when there is a scapegoat available.

I see a lot of blame here laid on the coaching, primarily the HC, OB and OLC. But what about the execution?

I am not defending the coaching because I think it is mediocre but then I know what the HC's job really is, to make the GM comfortable.

How are you supposed to execute when the other team knows the play you are running because your OC refuses to adjust?

glimmerman

Reaction score

I saw more than 1 play that was a incomplete pass in coverage and the other side of field had someone standing there wide open. Why Dak looked so shocked I can’t figure out. He had been around long enough. He didn’t see any coverages he didn’t know. I did see they ran a lot of plays that would allow them to run the ball but we passed anyway. Most of Elliot’s runs he was tackled by the last guy available. He was a few runs away from him slipping a tackle and taking a long one.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Obviously the answer is a little of both. I have always maintained that much of the Cowboys' success especially on offense was a result of great players doing great things as opposed to great scheme. I do think the offensive line execution has deteriorated since Joe Philbin came onboard. And that is impacting everything we try to do on offense. But the line was mostly okay in run blocking last Sunday.. and really only started to fail in pass blocking once we completely abandoned the run and started allowing the defense to pin their ears back. But if I had to weigh it I would say the issues on the offensive side this Sunday were 70% coaching and 30% execution. No way can I let the coaches off the hook for failing to capitalize on a 5 yards per carry rushing attack.

Adreme

Reaction score

Does the team have weaknesses? Yes. They OLine is not good. Tampa was able to get pressure with 4 and drop 7 into coverage and were basically daring Dallas to run.

The problem, and why it can often fall to coaching, is that when you have something that is working, in this case it was Zeke basically getting 5 yards every time he touched the ball, you should just keep doing that until it does not work. Make them adjust and not just wait on the pass. Tampa knew Dallas would go away from the run. They were willing to give up those 5 yard runs everytime Zeke touched it because they knew they would not stick to it.

Meanwhile there has been another problem that you can look at and say there is a coaching problem and that is a failure to adjust. The Cowboys tend to have a good first drive both on offense and defense but then the other team adjusts, because that is what good coaches do, and then the Cowboys just do nothing for several quarters because they do not know how to counter adjust. Players have to execute but it is the job of the coaches to come up with a plan and find openings. The Cowboys recent coaches have failed at doing that.

Last edited:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
There is a tendency here to look for scapegoats and to put THE blame on some single aspect.

The reality is, the blame can usually be spread over many aspects and the ultimate failure is from the stacking up of all the little failures.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It's ABSOLUTELY the coaching.

But exactly WHO hired these under qualified people so they could have control and input?

No one worth their salt would ever coach under these circumstances. The only shot is Payton, because those two are friends already.

Payton knows what he is getting into, and Jerry needs to give up a little on his end, even if it's behind the scenes. He has shown he will do that when desperate, and we are headed that way.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Coaching does account for quite a bit of the failure here. It's like someone can have Shaq on there basketball team but the coaches scheme could be having him shoot nothing but 3 pointers. How's that gonna work out?

Same is true with the coaches in football, all players have talent at varying levels to even make it this far. It's up to the coach to scheme around there weaknesses and utilize there strengths.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Does the team have weaknesses? Yes. They OLine is not good. Tampa was able to get pressure with 4 and drop 7 into coverage and were basically daring Dallas to pass.

You kinda have this backwards. When you drop 7 you're daring the other team to run not pass. But the line was not nearly as bad as it could have been. Smith was better than average.. and McGovern/Farniok were at least serviceable as was Biadasz. Zack was Zack. Terence Steele however probably had the worst day of any of the linemen..

The problem, and why it can often fall to coaching, is that when you have something that is working, in this case it was Zeke basically getting 5 yards every time he touched the ball, you should just keep doing that until it does not work. Make them adjust and not just wait on the pass. Tampa knew Dallas would go away from the run. They were willing to give up those 5 yard runs everytime Zeke touched it because they knew they would not stick to it.

Meanwhile there has been another problem that you can look at and say there is a coaching problem and that is a failure to adjust. The Cowboys tend to have a good first drive both on offense and defense but then the other team adjusts, because that is what good coaches do, and then the Cowboys just do nothing for several quarters because they do not know how to counter adjust. Players have to execute but it is the job of the coaches to come up with a plan and find openings. The Cowboys recent coaches have failed at doing that.

People claimed all offseason that "you can't stick to the run because Zeke only gets 3 ypc.." and I have always countered that it doesn't matter how successful Zeke is running the ball, Moore isn't going to feed him because that's not how he wants to play offense. Zeke averaged 6 ypc in the first half.. but only got 8 carries. How the hell does that happen? Especially when it was never more than a 6 point game.

RS12

Reaction score
Meh. TB did nothing exotic. Normally if you hold Brady to 19 points you have a shot. When you have a QB that cant win from the pocket, the talent around him needs to be premium. It isnt.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used to hate getting the bye week after 3 or 4 games. For a long time now we have it around week 7 to 9. Which breaks up the season nicely.
Now I wish we had it in week 4 again. I do think this year though, the 1st bye week is not until week 6.

My reason, gets Dak an extra week with no game being played. And any talk of firing MM will be over, as Jerry won't fire him mi season. However, since the bye week in in week 9. There will be all kinds of talk until then. I know it will be based on the record though. If bad, the talk will heat up, if hanging around .500, the will it cool down or not.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
You kinda have this backwards. When you drop 7 you're daring the other team to run not pass. But the line was not nearly as bad as it could have been. Smith was better than average.. and McGovern/Farniok were at least serviceable as was Biadasz. Zack was Zack. Terence Steele however probably had the worst day of any of the linemen..

People claimed all offseason that "you can't stick to the run because Zeke only gets 3 ypc.." and I have always countered that it doesn't matter how successful Zeke is running the ball, Moore isn't going to feed him because that's not how he wants to play offense. Zeke averaged 6 ypc in the first half.. but only got 8 carries. How the hell does that happen? Especially when it was never more than a 6 point game.

Tell that to KM , he went pass pass

75boyz

Reaction score
Like you Coach, I was also in absolute disbelief at McCarthy admitting at playoff loss post-game presser last year that he had zero input to the offense and that was by his own choice as to no involvement during the game.

Now fast forward 9 months and along with the publicized mantra of he's going to fix the penalties as first priority, there is the reports that he will be more involved in the offense.

Fast forward even further to a few days ago and it's reported that McCarthy doesn't even know the playbook terminology of the offense.

I mean, really?

You can't make this s**t up!

Adreme

Reaction score

Thank you that was what I meant.

817Gill

Reaction score
Tampa LB explicitly said he knew what we were going to do and we did it. You need all pros everywhere to win with zero strategic advantage.

And what players would we even blame? Dennis Houston and Matt Farniok for having no business playing that many snaps in an NFL game against a good team and being expected to play well enough to win?

And I like Farniok just saying that the players on the field on offense cannot be blamed when they aren’t supposed to be NFL starters. That’s on the FO.

fredp22

Reaction score
we have bad coaching

1- the execution you mention is a byproduct of good coaching not player talent.
2- you dont go thru 26 years of players and not win without it being the coaching thats at fault. Jerry has killed many good players careers (Romo, Dez, Ware, Zeke, Witten, Tyron, Frederick....etc). To much talent for it not to be coaching
3- The same players that leave our team find success (including getting to SB) playing with other teams.
4- teams play better with better coaches. Jimmys team slowly collapsed when he left. Look at Lombardi and Packers, Shula and Miami, Landry and Cowboys. You think Landry had 20 years of great players or Shula 20+ years of good players? Packers were perennial losers till Lombardi and collapsed immediately when he left. You think it a coincidence KC started winning when Reid got there?

I could go on but our problem is coaching. We've had to many good players and teams for it not to be. Coaching means a lot more than you stated in your thread

Creeper

Reaction score
Sun Tzu wrote, if the soldiers do not obey the orders of the generals it is the fault of the generals. Every time you see a false start penalty repeated you have to blame the coaches. A coach simply cannot allow that to go on without punishment or the team will get the idea that penalties don't matter enough.

The defense did not commit a single penalty Sunday night. The offense committed 8. Seems to me like Quinn did his job. But the OC clearly did not. The offense has been holding and false starting for a few years. Boy Genius is not getting it done.

If Peters is ready, benching Steele this week explicitly because he could not stop his fat butt from twitching before the snap would tell the whole team the coaches really do care about this stuff. Sun Tzu recommended that any soldier who fails to obey orders be executed in front of all the other soldiers to ensure that not following orders will not be tolerated.