CFZ Please remind me, why did we cut Mike White?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'll bet the Jets did. They made him the starter today. They wanted him to start in favor of the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft, as well as the 18th overall pick in the 2008 draft. They saw something the Cowboys coaches didn't
He's two years removed from Dallas, and developed. This was one game, and while he looked really good with no real pressure against a so-so defense, it's still just one game. I wish him luck, but he was the very definition of inconsistent when he was here, and that's not what you want in a backup QB.

Loso86

Reaction score
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.
Everytime he has a good game this thread pops up. There's a reason my man, plus he was back up for a reason. Guve it time!

Carson

Reaction score
I had this conversation with my Jets friend buddy yesterday.

White looked like a disaster in multiple preseason games. He did not flash anything that made him look more than a backup on a good day.

Maybe we did not let him play to his abilities and forced him to be conservative. I feel that’s what Dallas does in the preseason as all of our QBs typically play with a conservative approach

joseephuss

Reaction score
I'll bet the Jets did. They made him the starter today. They wanted him to start in favor of the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft, as well as the 18th overall pick in the 2008 draft. They saw something the Cowboys coaches didn't

They had to start someone over Wilson. He has been very bad this season. Even when he is good, it hasn't been that good. Maybe they will go back to him in a few games, but he was just not cutting it.

At this point, Flacco's draft status has no bearing on any decisions. He has been slightly above average his entire career and below average the last few years. They know what he brings to the table and it isn't much. Plus at 37, he will not be a part of the Jets future. They have to figure out what White has and if he can be part of their future.

The Cowboys may have seen what the Jets coaches did. The difference is the Cowboys have their established starter. The Jets do not. The Jets have to keep developmental QBs on the roster.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think term Gunslinger was used as well. Boy did he have arm talent though. The ball seemed to fly out of his hand when he threw it.
Lol he wasn’t a gunslinger at all
Looked more like a scared puppy making slow decisions

tyke1doe

Reaction score
First, we can't keep EVERYBODY!

Second, some players need time to grow and develop. Who's to say they would have gotten the chance here? I think by his own admission, Jimmy Smith said he had some growing up to do.

Third, we have a glitzy, glamourous culture that doesn't cater to everybody. I am convinced had Zeke Elliott been drafted by the Baltimore Ravens, he would be ready for Canton induction. I honestly believe that had Cee Dee Lamb been drafted by the Minnesota Vikings, he would have put up as good a numbers as Justin Jefferson. Sometimes, players aren't where they need to be to grow.
Yes, I know we love the Dallas Cowboys, but Dallas isn't for all players.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Man it’s tough we let him get away.

I know yesterday was only one game, but in the limited starts he’s had I believe he’s had a few big yardage games.

Maybe he doesn’t let go of the starting job.

JayFord

Reaction score
What oppourtunity would he have had in Dallas?

its not always poor management or poor decision making sometimes its just you need to be elsewhere and theres no oppourtunity for growth at your current place of employment

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Mike White has developed into an ideal backup QB, but I would tap the breaks on this guy after yesterday. He had four games last season and flashed huge upside in the Cincinnati game. Still he had 8 interceptions in those four games, only three of those did he start and one he only threw 11 passes before being replaced by Josh Johnson. Advanced metrics didnt look too hot either.

White has the upside to flash big games against bad teams, but also has the potential to lose you a game with 3 turnovers and taking a bunch of sacks. Perfect fit for a team like the Jets last season, a team like the Cowboys are probably better off with a Cooper Rush type plays within the system, may never throw for 350 yards in a game, but also keeps you in every game.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
… Because the great Cooper Rush beat him out. ;)

We just want a backup who stays cool and doesn’t make mistakes and based on both guys limited experience, sounds like we picked the right player.

Reaction score
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.

It's amazing how often player's capabilities go unrecognized, QBs in particular. Seems like their skill sets need to be married to just the right system and surroundings. Look at Geno Smith in Seattle,,,, and Russell Wilson for that matter!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was awful here. Now you can say the coaches still should have seen the potential and that's fair but I remember being high on him and alarmed at just how bad he looked.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Because he isn't very good. He had a good game this week but it wont hold up. He had one good start last year, then look like he didnt belong in the NFL when he played Buffalo