CFZ Please remind me, why did we cut Mike White?

shabazz

Reaction score
Anybody who watched Mike White play in the preseason that year understands why he got cut. He stunk in Dallas. Good on him to finally start showing up three years later. But he outstunk Rush and the other kid they picked up in free agency that year.. Austin Davis?

Got to trust the coaches that saw him every day. In the end they decided that Whitey was no dam good.

I wish him all the best

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
but its anciant history and rush won the job and now is the backup..and???????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Ten Jets didnt even see white that way, proof? Flacco started many games and was brought in as the backup, NOT WHITE, 3rd on the depth chart
Next

c54650b7278f88a3eeaa7aa7d5fce4f7.jpg
I gave my opinion about something that took place four years ago. You don't think I know it was ancient history. I said nothing about White or his place with the Jets and their players. You dropping the mike like we were having an argument.

If that's the case, how are you going to argue me out of my very own opinion? It's ludicrous of you to even think that that's possible. You can argue someone out of their own opinion. SMH.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I gave my opinion about something that took place four years ago. You don't think I know it was ancient history. I said nothing about White or his place with the Jets and their players. You dropping the mike like we were having an argument.

If that's the case, how are you going to argue me out of my very own opinion? It's ludicrous of you to even think that that's possible. You can argue someone out of their own opinion. SMH.
sorry, disagree his release was not a mistake.. now move on from this horrible post by the OP which btw we had a year ago..

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.
How many games has White started since 2018??????? If White is that great, then why didn't he un-seat Wilson a couple of seasons ago, since he signed with the Jets in 2019???? I'll admit he had a game against Cinny, but it's just one game, let's see how he does the rest of the season before tearing into the Cowboys for releasing him.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Our former 2018 fifth round pick started today for the New York Jets and his numbers were 22-28-315-3TD-0INT.

In 2018 the Cowboys kept two quarterbacks as Dak Prescott started and played every down that season.

The quarterback they decided to keep was Cooper Rush, no argument there. However, they found nothing in Mike White that made them decide to keep both White and Rush.

The Cowboys cut Cooper rush before the season and nobody wanted him, which allowed him to be on the practice squad, available to activate if needed.

White ended up on the Jets practice squad and, due to injuries to the other QB's he actually started a game in 2021 against the Bengals, the eventual conference champion.

White threw for over 400 yards in his first start and the Jets upset the Bengals.

I think this is a classic example of excellent evaluation by the scouts and poor evaluation by the coaches.

It's not the first time in Cowboys history, I'm thinking of posting a list of players that the Cowboys cut only to have really good careers.

It would include guys like 1983 second round pick LB Mike Walter, 1978 second round pick RB Todd Christiensen, 1992 second round draft pick Jimmy Smith, 1977 tenth round pick, QB Steve Deberg, and 1970 third round pick LB Steve Kiner. There are a lot of interesting stories there.

White just wasn't very good here. Maybe not the right scheme, maybe not the right coaching under Garrett, or maybe he just needed another year. Here's a couple links on White's time in Dallas. I don't like giving up on players too early and probably did on White, we didn't with Terrance Steele.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sp...quarterback-mike-white-is-done-in-dallas/amp/

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/mike-white-player-stats?category=passing&seasonType=pre

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yeah, I think he had a nice game a year ago and someone made a similar thread. He started the next week and looked horrible. But that's what makes backups, backups...wildly inconsistent.
and yet this is so 2019 tim e to MOVE ON, .man, the estrogen in here and hindsight is boiling over HES GONE MOVE ON...Maybe we can talk more about Cooper LMAO..even though its played out and in fact CEEDEE is a #1 and has the same or better stats then AC 2 straight years now and this year without protection from the almighty Jerry rice clone in Coop..:rolleyes:o_O

Right both subjects are tired.at least the latter is more fresh.

we have our B/U hes 5-1 now as starter?? yup MOVE ON TIME!!!:facepalm::thumbdown::huh::rolleyes:

blueblood70

Reaction score
White just wasn't very good here. Maybe not the right scheme, maybe not the right coaching under Garrett, or maybe he just needed another year. Here's a couple links on White's time in Dallas. I don't like giving up on players too early and probably did on White, we didn't with Terrance Steele.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/sp...quarterback-mike-white-is-done-in-dallas/amp/

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/mike-white-player-stats?category=passing&seasonType=pre
another FOUR years you mean.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mike White looked good during preseason his rookie year, but fell off dramatically during preseason his second year. He looked borderline terrible. No one on the board was complaining after we cut him. He obviously has developed a lot since then and has played very well for the Jets when given opportunities.

Proof

Reaction score
I'll bet the Jets did. They made him the starter today. They wanted him to start in favor of the 2nd overall pick in the 2021 draft, as well as the 18th overall pick in the 2008 draft. They saw something the Cowboys coaches didn't

yeah abysmal starter play lol

lukemartin79

Reaction score

Steve Wisniewski was a second rounder taken by Jimmy. He was a very good OL for the Raiders for over a decade.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Steve Wisniewski was a second rounder taken by Jimmy. He was a very good OL for the Raiders for over a decade.

Sure, but he wasn't cut. He was traded and one of the picks Dallas got in return ended up being used to draft Daryl Johnston.

I was really hoping Dallas would keep Jimmy Smith back in the day, but I understand why they ended up parting ways. I liked what I saw watching him in training camp and pre-season in 1992 and hoped he could turn into a good player. I was worried he would end up being a good receiver for the Eagles who signed him after being released by Dallas in 1994. Fortunately Philly cut him prior to the season and he went un-signed until the off season in 1995. He didn't do much his first year in Jacksonville, but then in 1996, the lights came on and he turned into a very good wide receiver.

JayFord

Reaction score
i mean 5 pages of Mike White?

i wish the kid all the success in the world but lets wrap this one up

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Sure, but he wasn't cut. He was traded and one of the picks Dallas got in return ended up being used to draft Daryl Johnston.

I was really hoping Dallas would keep Jimmy Smith back in the day, but I understand why they ended up parting ways. I liked what I saw watching him in training camp and pre-season in 1992 and hoped he could turn into a good player. I was worried he would end up being a good receiver for the Eagles who signed him after being released by Dallas in 1994. Fortunately Philly cut him prior to the season and he went un-signed until the off season in 1995. He didn't do much his first year in Jacksonville, but then in 1996, the lights came on and he turned into a very good wide receiver.
Cowboys were pretty deep in talent at that time across the board, including WR. I really didn't remember him until he became a big player for the Jags, and they mentioned him being a former Cowboy during a game. He was blind in one eye I think too.

rambo2

Reaction score

They cut Mike White because he didn't make the team and who cares they have Dak.

Cabrito

Reaction score
Seattle should be given more credit for being patient and believing in Geno Smith, ironically a former 2nd pick of the Jets. That dude is completing 72% of his passes and outplaying many QBs this entire year (not just one game).