Please Sign Dez, 1 year deal or 1 day contract?

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stephen-jones-dez-bryant-texted-150028444.html Dez wants to sign a deal with the Cowboys and Stephen is discussing it in the media. The artickle goes on to say that a 1 day deal is far more conceivable.

• Dez has passion.
  • Red Zone threat.
  • Could be a 600 yd 7 TD receiver.
  • Is open to taking on any role.
  • Would be great out of the slot.
  • A chain mover.
  • The man is a real Cowboy, born and breed.
  • Dez knew that Garrett sucked.

Dez would be a great bridge in this new offense that creates specific roles for skill players in certain down and distances. MM created schemes in GB to manufacture efficiency on 3rd downs and in the red-zone. I think Dez has been humbled and this is a chance for Dez and the Cowboys to redeem themselves. The Boys took Witten back and they should do the same for Dez. Just give the man an opportunity, he deserves that.

Go Dallas!!!

First off Witten was gone for only ONE season, Bryant hasn't played a down since 2017. Witten never had a serious injury, Bryant tore his achilles tendon. Witten never lead the league in drops, Bryant's last season he played he did and the season before he was 1 drop away from leading that season too. Witten is a recipient of the Walter Payton Man Of The Year award, Bryant got arrested for hitting his mother. Witten holds several Cowboys records like most career receptions, most career receiving yards, most catches in a single game, most games started and then NFL record for most catches by a TE in a single game, Bryant pouts and marches off the field to the locker room before a game ends because he didn't get a ball thrown to him. Bryant became a locker room problem, Since Bryant signed his last contract he failed to get 1000 yards and his play went down hill. Bryant ended up as a one trick pony.

The players McCarthy used in special situations also did other things like play special teams, Bryant doesn't. The Cowboys owe Bryant NOTHING!!!!! Bryant wouldn't be great for anything or any team or he wouldn't have sat the first 9 weeks after getting cut by the Cowboys. He needs to thank the saints for being so desperate after losing a couple of their receivers to injuries and signing him only to tear his achilles tendon on the very first practice after they signed him. Bryant is a has been and never to be again player.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
People love to throw around "locker room cancer". Until negotiations for his big contract, Dez was called the heart and soul of the team. Who would have a problem with Dez after all these years? Dak? I don't remember him complaining.
People that don't want that turd spreading his crap all over the place would have a problem with Dez. He's not as well-liked at the Star as you seem to think.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel Stephen is just making it known that he's accessible to those trying to contact him, especially those who have played for them in the past. He really has no alternative as a team leader but to show due respect to Dez and others who would like to be considered for a tryout. Whether Stephen might be willing to invite Dez for a tryout in the future remains to be seen. I doubt he'll be invited to rejoin them in the future but we'll see. Don't hold your breath.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm ok with it. There are no guarantees that both Coop and Cobb will be back as well as Witten. Dak is going to need someone to throw to and they are familiar with each other. If MM is good with it, who am I to argue.

Coach MM isn’t the GM.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Some people forget what an inferior player Dez became by the end of his career. They would rather think of Dez as the player he was in his prime. These not so realistic expectations are borderline insane.

he had a broken leg and an Achilles problem.

you try running with that.

TheStarInFLA

Reaction score
Some people forget what an inferior player Dez became by the end of his career. They would rather think of Dez as the player he was in his prime. These not so realistic expectations are borderline insane.
I always fall into that momentary nostalgic trap every time. I think because I remember the Year of the Catch and how magical it all felt. Romo could throw the ball blind into the bleachers and Dem could go up and get it. What a shame of wasted talent.

DanA

Reaction score
I won’t argue with anyone who says Dez had:
  • Too many drops post big contract
  • Too many injuries
  • A limited route tree
  • An issue controlling his emotions
But I will argue that there’s more chance of him making an impact on the roster than Lance Lenoir or Codey McElroy.

We’re talking about the 90th spot on the roster for a guy that is only 31 and at 27 was a top 5 reciever in the league and the best RedZone weapon in the game. It costs a UDFA spot to look at him and he can be sent packing at any time....I don’t see the downside in taking a look.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/stephen-jones-dez-bryant-texted-150028444.html Dez wants to sign a deal with the Cowboys and Stephen is discussing it in the media. The artickle goes on to say that a 1 day deal is far more conceivable.

• Dez has passion.
  • Red Zone threat.
  • Could be a 600 yd 7 TD receiver.
  • Is open to taking on any role.
  • Would be great out of the slot.
  • A chain mover.
  • The man is a real Cowboy, born and breed.
  • Dez knew that Garrett sucked.

Dez would be a great bridge in this new offense that creates specific roles for skill players in certain down and distances. MM created schemes in GB to manufacture efficiency on 3rd downs and in the red-zone. I think Dez has been humbled and this is a chance for Dez and the Cowboys to redeem themselves. The Boys took Witten back and they should do the same for Dez. Just give the man an opportunity, he deserves that.

Go Dallas!!!
Dear Fellow Cowboys fans who want Dez back-

Quick story- My first favorite Cowboys player when I was a kid was the great HOFer Bob Hayes. Bullet Bob was the most exciting player in the NFL for a decade. But by the end of 1974 season, he had a lost a step, and his decline was apparent to all. We traded Bullet to the niners where he played one year and then had the good sense to retire. He was done. He knew it. Fans knew it. He retired as one of the greatest. Bullet Bob was one of the few who realize when it’s really over. (Latest example- Mr. Tom Brady needs to retire)

Back to Dez....it’s over man. Even if he thinks he can still play a little, we don’t need a roster spot being taken by a once great player who can’t be consistently good. It’s over man. It happens to every former great athlete. It’s just the athlete and their biggest fans that are the last to realize it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dear Fellow Cowboys fans who want Dez back-

Quick story- My first favorite Cowboys player when I was a kid was the great HOFer Bob Hayes. Bullet Bob was the most exciting player in the NFL for a decade. But by the end of 1974 season, he had a lost a step, and his decline was apparent to all. We traded Bullet to the niners where he played one year and then had the good sense to retire. He was done. He knew it. Fans knew it. He retired as one of the greatest. Bullet Bob was one of the few who realize when it’s really over. (Latest example- Mr. Tom Brady needs to retire)

Back to Dez....it’s over man. Even if he thinks he can still play a little, we don’t need a roster spot being taken by a once great player who can’t be consistently good. It’s over man. It happens to every former great athlete. It’s just the athlete and their biggest fans that are the last to realize it.
I think that last injury may have done him in. I would how ever give him the respect of letting him try out in camps. Let’s see what he does have. If he is able to play ENOUGH snaps per game at a high level to be worth the roster spot then ok. I like the idea of some TE work. MM seems to scheme his TE open and actually uses them. But this is also Moore calling the plays so I am not sure how much of this is MM Offense. Lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that last injury may have done him in. I would how ever give him the respect of letting him try out in camps. Let’s see what he does have. If he is able to play ENOUGH snaps per game at a high level to be worth the roster spot then ok. I like the idea of some TE work. MM seems to scheme his TE open and actually uses them. But this is also Moore calling the plays so I am not sure how much of this is MM Offense. Lol
It’s over for Dez. How do we know? Teams in the NFL are so hungry for talent, they sign or invest many times in players that still have talent but have off field problem. Look at Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon. Complete head cases but they still have talent so multiple teams this last season were interested in them.

If Dez still had it, he would have already had teams knocking on his door. He’s done. The NFL is politely telling him that and he and Cowboys fans should listen.

cern

Reaction score
"Ain't too proud to beg"......the temptations. One of my favorites.

glimmerman

Reaction score
It’s over for Dez. How do we know? Teams in the NFL are so hungry for talent, they sign or invest many times in players that still have talent but have off field problem. Look at Antonio Brown and Josh Gordon. Complete head cases but they still have talent so multiple teams this last season were interested in them.

If Dez still had it, he would have already had teams knocking on his door. He’s done. The NFL is politely telling him that and he and Cowboys fans should listen.
K. Don’t be surprised when he is at camps for a try out. And when players go down with injury he maybe picked up during the season. If TO wasn’t such a head case he would have had another year or two.

SpaceCowboy99

Reaction score
K. Don’t be surprised when he is at camps for a try out. And when players go down with injury he maybe picked up during the season. If TO wasn’t such a head case he would have had another year or two.

TO was actually good. Dez only had raw physical talents and when those left, he had nothing else to fall back on because he never put in the time learning routes, plays, playbooks, you know, what professionals are expected to do.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the sentimental history of this FO, I won’t be surprised if he gets a tryout. Instead of inviting him to a tryout, Jerry should just invite him to his suite for all home games next year. That would be the kindest thing to do rather than giving him some false hope.

glimmerman

Reaction score
With the sentimental history of this FO, I won’t be surprised if he gets a tryout. Instead of inviting him to a tryout, Jerry should just invite him to his suite for all home games next year. That would be the kindest thing to do rather than giving him some false hope.
I am betting he has a open invite. Remember seeing him hanging out with JJ at a concert or something. My thing is that if he don’t have it anymore like your saying then I don’t want him taking up a spot. If he can earn it then ok. Cut Crawford and pay Dez. Make it incentive based.

glimmerman

Reaction score
TO was actually good. Dez only had raw physical talents and when those left, he had nothing else to fall back on because he never put in the time learning routes, plays, playbooks, you know, what professionals are expected to do.
I agree. He rested on the jump ball and Romo made him successful.

cern

Reaction score
Stephen is the guy who said b.c dez was a distraction that had to be dealt with. Despite jerry saying dez would be a cowboy in 2018, Stephen flat out released him without even seeking any compensation. This is tantamount to an nfl slap in the face. Can't see Stephen changing his mind.

Staubacher

Reaction score
:facepalm:.......I hate the off season......it brings out the stupid in some people
This Dez fixation is the height of fan stupidity. The guy is desperate for another NFL job so he tweets that he wants to play for Dallas again. He's washed up and damaged goods let alone a team cancer.
My God we've moved on in so many ways now some moronic fans wanna bring back this guy?