Poe: 4 Sacks in 402 snaps

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Poe has had kind of a strange career trajectory. He showed alot of promise as an inside rusher early in his career and it propelled him to two Pro Bowl births. However, his last two years in KC he was used primarily as a traditional two gap NT and minimized him as a pass rusher.

After leaving KC, he had meager production as a rusher in Atlanta and in his first year in Carolina. However last season, he tallied 4 sacks in 402 snaps. Im not sure what his advanced stats look like, but thats very good production for a defensive tackle. Particularly a 1T/NT.

The question is, is that an anomaly. Or did Poe get back into a groove as a rusher
I looked at some tape of his.

He reminds my of Antwain Woods with his build and striking ability.

But overall much better than Woods.

So Poe should help Woods and Trystan Hill..another blunt hammer type tackler.

As for your. question about interpreting his stats..

I do not wegh that heavily.

I look more at effort, motor, team play and big plays.

He has all that.

Now that he will have a new team, new playmates in McCoy and Tank and some quality LBers..

good play should bloom.

I try not to overstate the importance of McCarthy as the HC as the universal cure-all for every little niggle problem..

but..

Poe will be given a huge chance to be a leader on our defense by McCarthy. That right there should be worth about 5 sacks right away.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collapsing the pocket is still pressure. I think some of the other posters in this thread are confusing run down and pass down responsibilities of a DT

Poe was used as a pressure player early in his career. By his third year he was considered one of the better young DT's in football. After that KC just basically parked him as a strickly 2 gap NT. Last year its seems he may have been used more as a pass rushing DT
Your response was to a question that specifically asked why we were talking about sacks as a standard for evaluating a 350 DT, not pressure.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
In a 4 man rush, you defensive tackles are pass rushers. Not space eaters

Generally, you'd replace Poe on passing downs ... but it's good to have someone who can get to the passer when the opponent passes on rushing downs.

One of my problems with how we've put together our defense is that we've generally had players who are only good at one or the other. For example, Antwuan Woods is a strong run defender but fairly useless against the pass. Maliek Collins was fairly decent against the pass, but not very good against the run.

ultron

Reaction score
Not just that but a big boy like this with the addition of McCoy will drastically help free up our LB’s to seek and destroy. I expect Jaylon Smith to get home on more of those blitzes that he attempted last year.

SSoup

Reaction score
Yeah, Poe's 2019 was a weird outlier. He had a 4.5 sack season and a 6 sack season early in his career with KC. Then he had a 4 year run where he got 1, 1.5, 2.5, and 1 sack in full seasons. Then in 2019, he got 4 sacks in only 11 games and 10 starts. So, probably a fluke compared to the previous 4 years.

The Panthers defense as a whole collected 50-something sacks, so everyone was feasting on that defense. McCoy had 5 sacks, but that followed seasons of 8.5, 7 sacks, and a couple 6 sacks years. So McCoy's sack production is less of a fluke -- but then again, he's also trending downward in that category so it's possible he gives us less as his slide continues.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Generally, you'd replace Poe on passing downs ... but it's good to have someone who can get to the passer when the opponent passes on rushing downs.

One of my problems with how we've put together our defense is that we've generally had players who are only good at one or the other. For example, Antwuan Woods is a strong run defender but fairly useless against the pass. Maliek Collins was fairly decent against the pass, but not very good against the run.
Im not sure that you do replace him, if he is going to be productive. You can use a big DT as a pass rusher if they are athletic enough. If Poe hasn't lost too much of his athleticism, then he could be a 3 down DT here

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not necessarily, each defense is different it depends on what they are being asked to do
Even if they are not going to put the QB down, they still have to be able to push the pick back. For a bigger DT, you still need some explosion off the snap for that