Poe: 4 Sacks in 402 snaps

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
DT are supposed to take blocks to allow LBs and DEs to get free. Sacks for them are rare.
in some defenses yes, however in other types, attacking defenses, they can shoot a gap and break the pocket down and pressure QB from inside. that's what Marinelli wanted and had before, but never accomplished.

dwmyers

Reaction score
Plus, if you truly believe Marinelli didn't have a big say in persuading Jerry which defensive players to draft, I've got a piece of swampland in Florida I'd like to sell you. It is prime real estate!

I think there is a narrative that Marinelli spoiled any chances the Dallas defense had of greathood by convincing Jerry to draft Taco instead of TJ Watt and that without a 235 poundish pass rusher, we became a dismal failure. And it's a narrative, a story and while it's entertaining, I don't think it's convincing.

in 2018 we had two guys who could have stepped into the role of 6'+ish 235 poundish pass rusher, and their names were Jaylon Smith and LVE. Both, IMO, would have been really good at it had we had them rushing full time.

The way position coaches work with scouts wrt the draft is they are the ones who say that 'for these positions, these traits are ideal' and so forth. I do believe Marinelli set those standards, but outside of that, I believe he had no more influence than any other position coach. Draft choices in Dallas are made by consensus, and I think they agreed on Taco. Sorry, but this "I want mediocre talent and I want it now" discussions of the Evil Marinelli misplace his role and status in the Dallas structure. They make him more important than he really was, and take the blame away from the real reason folks were fired, which is that the team wasn't responding to the coaches. Had they had an average impact on the players, then Dallas goes 10-6, and we'd be in the playoffs, easily.

jnday

Reaction score
Quoting the Wikipedia

That Bears record makes him look competent as a DC, you know. It was the Lions he was a horrible HC for.

The real question, the one that gets me, is Marinelli the one who let Kevin Hatcher go after he began to be a decent 3 tech? How many DTs did the Jones family let go in their time running the franchise starting from the moment they were pursuing the 4-3 seriously?

I know it's popular in Dallas circles to blame Marinelli for everything from global warning to the coronavirus, but he wasn't buying the groceries, and he wasn't abnormally focused on the exterior of the defense.

Belichick drafts from the inside out.
The Jones value talent and draft from the outside in (yes, with the exception of OL. Somehow they learned that.).
Marinelli did go to the grocery store a couple times. He bought a Taco and a Hill. If there was any lesson to be learned from that it is don’t let Marinelli buy groceries. Both of his hand-picked DL was terrible picks and there was better defensive players on the board. Everybody knew that there was better players available, but nobody in the War Room would stop him. Good times.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Poe: 4 Sacks in 402 snaps and one TD pass. lol

Yes I want the Cowboys to get a DT that can not only stuff the run but provide some inside pass rush. Of course those guys are rare. Poe ain't one of them.

But if he can at least force the o-line to devote more time to the middle of the line, should open things up a bit more for Lawrence, et al. Too many times I saw our DEs miss sacks because they had to run a bit far from the outside and were just a tick late to the quarterback. If the o-line has to squeeze together a bit more and let our DEs get closer at the start, it will help.

I'm not looking for a huge improvement in the interior pass rush, Collins wasn't great but he was no slouch, but I'll take what I can get....

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who cares how many sacks the guy has? He's there to hold his ground and keep the guards off our linebackers.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The problems we faced were due to both DT's rushing and neither anchoring. Whomever was playing the 1, woods or other would sometimes work too hard to go around the blocks. This freed up the center to block the MLB which meant their RB was left all alone vs our single high safety. There were also times our dline penetration worked and we get them for a loss. When teams used our penetration against us marinelli failed to adjust accordingly. We have good LB's who can make a play but not if they are being blocked by a 300lb center. This is why hayden was affective but not great, he held the double team and allowed others to make the play.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Getting a sack at his spot is kind of the cherry on top. Hopefully he absorbs blocks and McCoy still has enough juice/vet savvy to kind of take advantage

StuckMojo

Reaction score
If they are expecting a pass play the first move may be backwards depending on the call.
I understand that but many times last season they would just drop back in a sprint when it wasn’t an obvious passing down and we would get burnt on a running play or short underneath route.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
I’m just excited we got a big boy in there. First up, Zack Martin, McGovern, Looney, and Connor

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I, for one...am amazed at all the NFL football experts chiming in. You'd think the forum has their own NFL Super Bowl winning teams...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If we choose to look for a DT who will cause pressure for a QB, Dontari Poe isn't the one most likely to fill that bill.

Try looking at Gerald McCoy for that. What Poe does best is to anchor like he's been screwed into the ground. ;)

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aaron Donald says hi...
Aaron Donald is an exception. To bad there aren't 32 of
Aaron Donald says hi...
I'd love to have him, but since we don't we have to make due with what we have. That said, we will follow my theory and have our DTs take blocks and stuff the run and not rush the passer, with the exception of obvious passing plays. Unless you have a magic Aaron Donald pill we can give these guys.