Poll: What to do with Dak?

What do u want to do with Dak this off-season?

• Let Dak walk, draft multiple QBs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sign Dak long term, draft a QB round 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

garyo1954

Reaction score
Make the announcement, "We're keeping all our options on the table."

sean10mm

Reaction score
I'd tag him and give him a year under McCarthy, then based on how he does either pay him or not.

If McCarthy actually pushes him into all-pro/Super Bowl contender territory, who cares if he's expensive? If he doesn't pan out let McCarthy pick his man in 2021.

e: I'm morbidly impressed that the unproven $40m demand rumor just won't go away.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
33M max sounds good .
The problem from what I understand is Dak doesn't want a very long term contract like Zeke got. He wants more of the 3 year type so he can get another big contract when everything goes up. The 40 million that came up is what he wants if he signs the 7 year deal but would take around 35 +/- if he signed the 3 year. I don't believe Dak wants 40 million for 3 years though.

I don't have a link to the article as I read it months ago but it seems legit. I could, however, be completely wrong.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I'd tag him and give him a year under McCarthy, then based on how he does either pay him or not.

If McCarthy actually pushes him into all-pro/Super Bowl contender territory, who cares if he's expensive? If he doesn't pan out let McCarthy pick his man in 2021.

e: I'm morbidly impressed that the unproven $40m demand rumor just won't go away.
Reports are if he is tagged he will hold out of offseason workouts. With a completely new coaching staff that would be terrible

JBS

Reaction score
How do you have every option under the sun, even sown options that make absolutely zero sense, yet, trading dak isn't a choice?

Tag and trade gets my vote

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
"Cousins and the Commanders attempted to work out a long-term deal before the start of free agency, but could only come to an agreement on the exclusive franchise tag on February 28, 2017, becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to be franchise tagged in consecutive years." -wiki

The cousins deal was an exclusive franchise tag .
He was tagged twice. First time was non exclusive

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Yup, but the good thing was that they weren't stuck with cousins for 10 years .
I'm no fan of Cousins, but he did lead the Vikes to the playoffs and played well down the stretch. Why would they have been stuck with him for 10 years, they might not be well run, but not even they would sign a 10 year contract. Haskins hasn't proved he will be the guy and if he isn't it might well be 10 years before the Commanders be considered contenders.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
We Interrupt This Program....:lmao:
3oajld.jpg

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Transition tag him. See what his actual market is. Then decide if we can let him go or match the offer. We could sign a veteran that won't require 27 million a year and draft a guy to groom behind him for the next year.

PhilMc90

Reaction score
Get him on a long term deal and move onto Cooper and building out the rest of the squad

Getting rid for me puts the team back at least 2 years as a new QB will take time to settle and have a team built around them

Franchising delays the inevitable - it’s already cost them at least 5mill a year by not getting the deal done last off season. Can’t see anything other than him signing for an even greater amount eventually if he’s franchised

Too many pieces in place for me to even consider moving on from Dak plus he’s coming off a hell of a year stat wise and just keeps getting better and better

snapper

Reaction score
Sign him ASAP.

He may not be the second coming of Joe Montana, but he can win. Get er done, Jerruh.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Other: Big Mike is going to want to work with Dak to see How it goes. You just can't push MM to be married to Dak. Franchise him and work on the "D" side of the ball. If a QB falls in the right spot then take a flyer. Dak is good..."Special" is not a term I would use. keep looking.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They should have committed when the Eagles amd Rams committed to Wentz and Goff

Why do people keep saying this as if Dak has no choice?

He didn't show any signs of being in a hurry to get a deal done whether the Cowboys wanted to or not. He bet on himself, expecting the price to rise.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He isn't getting 40 million. Most likely it's 33-37 million unless they don't get him signed before Mahomes, Jackson, Watson

Reports I heard today are Dak is seeking $36 million annually. If that's true I'm not doing an extension.

Frankly, I'm not signing any QB to that type of extension unless he's got the look of a future Hall of Famer. Paying a good QB like he's great, just because he's the best one you have, isn't going to make that QB better. It's just going to weaken his supporting cast, which will actually make your team worse.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would transition tag him and check the wind before FA and the draft. If I got the feeling he was going to be a no show, I get a FA QB, draft a QB in the 1st, possibly trade up for Tua and rescind the tag after the draft. Tua is a lefty, so was Moore, I like that.

I tell my new HC that the plan has changed and he gets to bring Tua along slowly, do what he can with the FA QB and I immediately add a year to his contract giving him a 6 year deal. The circumstances changed after his hiring and I'd want him to feel good about the change. In fact, he might be more in favor of the change than the GM.

And think of the merch possibilities for Booger. On opening day 2021, Tua can put lei's on all the women entering the stadium and Booger can sell t-shirts that read "I got Leid by Tua". The concessions can sell Cowpoi. And best of all, Rowdy can do a torch dance at halftime and maybe set himself on fire.