Poll: What to do with Dak?

What do u want to do with Dak this off-season?

• Let Dak walk, draft multiple QBs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sign Dak long term, draft a QB round 1

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Reports I heard today are Dak is seeking $36 million annually. If that's true I'm not doing an extension.

Frankly, I'm not signing any QB to that type of extension unless he's got the look of a future Hall of Famer. Paying a good QB like he's great, just because he's the best one you have, isn't going to make that QB better. It's just going to weaken his supporting cast, which will actually make your team worse.
36 a year for how many years? If it's longer than 4 years than that's a bargain. Plus on a contract the most important number is guaranteed money not the average yearly salary

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I would transition tag him and check the wind before FA and the draft. If I got the feeling he was going to be a no show, I get a FA QB, draft a QB in the 1st, possibly trade up for Tua and rescind the tag after the draft. Tua is a lefty, so was Moore, I like that.

I tell my new HC that the plan has changed and he gets to bring Tua along slowly, do what he can with the FA QB and I immediately add a year to his contract giving him a 6 year deal. The circumstances changed after his hiring and I'd want him to feel good about the change. In fact, he might be more in favor of the change than the GM.

And think of the merch possibilities for Booger. On opening day 2021, Tua can put lei's on all the women entering the stadium and Booger can sell t-shirts that read "I got Leid by Tua". The concessions can sell Cowpoi. And best of all, Rowdy can do a torch dance at halftime and maybe set himself on fire.
Tua could possibly be a HOF QB, but with his injury history are you not worried one bit? This team isn't getting younger and now you need how many years before Tua is ready?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Not sure why the hell anyone would let a 4 year starter with a winning walk with no compensation. It makes no sense.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
36 a year for how many years? If it's longer than 4 years than that's a bargain. Plus on a contract the most important number is guaranteed money not the average yearly salary

So paying substantially more for Dak is going to improve the Cowboys? Unless you think he's going to turn into an elite QB that's a bad decision.

After 4 years I think he is what he is, good but not great. Now we're going to tie over 15% of the salary cap to him? Cuts will be made elsewhere, making the Cowboys a lesser team. Again, unless you think he's going to keep improving to an elite level. I have my doubts.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tua could possibly be a HOF QB, but with his injury history are you not worried one bit? This team isn't getting younger and now you need how many years before Tua is ready?
If his hip is good to go, he should be ready in 2021 and the other injury was one like Mahomes got on his lower leg. They brought him back in a little early and ran him on a sneak and he got a dislocated knee. That's a freak injury like Tua's and from what I've read he should fully recover.

He is a QB I would take a chance on more than Burrow or Herbert in this draft and I like both of them. Tua gets the ball out like Mahomes and that lefty reverse spin wasn't a problem for his receivers. It does present a problem for DL trying to hit the ball because they're not used to that delivery. And DB's are not used to that reverse spin and he throws with authority.

If the Doc clears him, I would go for him but I don't know what MIA would demand in a trade. I know any QB in the draft is a risk but the reward if he pays off is huge. I like Lawrence in 2021 too but not as much as Tua because of his delivery into tight windows, he already throws a NFL type pass.

But I am dreaming, they're not going to do that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure why the hell anyone would let a 4 year starter with a winning walk with no compensation. It makes no sense.
They don't have much choice if they can't sign him and if he no shows, they need to rescind the tag.

I also don't think any team is going to give him what he wants and give the Cowboys 2 1sts. The timing with the tag is the major challenge. They cannot leave this in his court and just let him walk in at the last minute and get paid and not know the offense.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak can't even get 50% for a new mega-deal?:huh:

Times are a-changing with the Cowboy nation as you can fool some of the people some of the time....you know the rest.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
So paying substantially more for Dak is going to improve the Cowboys? Unless you think he's going to turn into an elite QB that's a bad decision.

After 4 years I think he is what he is, good but not great. Now we're going to tie over 15% of the salary cap to him? Cuts will be made elsewhere, making the Cowboys a lesser team. Again, unless you think he's going to keep improving to an elite level. I have my doubts.
Because the salary cap will go up and by then the salary of QBs will be 45 plus maybe even in the 50s by then. I believe Dak is a franchise QB and I also believe McCarthy will help get Dak in elite status.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If his hip is good to go, he should be ready in 2021 and the other injury was one like Mahomes got on his lower leg. They brought him back in a little early and ran him on a sneak and he got a dislocated knee. That's a freak injury like Tua's and from what I've read he should fully recover.

He is a QB I would take a chance on more than Burrow or Herbert in this draft and I like both of them. Tua gets the ball out like Mahomes and that lefty reverse spin wasn't a problem for his receivers. It does present a problem for DL trying to hit the ball because they're not used to that delivery. And DB's are not used to that reverse spin and he throws with authority.

If the Doc clears him, I would go for him but I don't know what MIA would demand in a trade. I know any QB in the draft is a risk but the reward if he pays off is huge. I like Lawrence in 2021 too but not as much as Tua because of his delivery into tight windows, he already throws a NFL type pass.

But I am dreaming, they're not going to do that.
I'm higher on Tua than Lawrence if his injuries check out. I'm not a doctor so I'm not going to claim I know. Thanks for your input, I enjoy reading from people more knowledgeable than me.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
truth be told, he isn't worth 40M.
It doesn't matter if he is worth $32M, $35M or $40M. That really doesn't have much to do with what he will get paid. His deal is the next in line and it will be more than the last one. Just like the next QB to get paid, his deal will be worth more than Dak's. Like it or not that's the way it works right now in the NFL.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I know their are about a million Dak threads but I wanted to see by-the-numbers how divided the fans are.

I’m in a rush making this, hopefully I didn’t leave out any obvious possibilities...o_O

If you don't have a feel for what the opinions are about what to do about Prescott after the continuous nonstop threads about Prescott that pop up every day, then can I suggest a different hobby to take up your time.

kskboys

Reaction score
It doesn't matter is he is worth $32M, $35M or $40M. That really doesn't have much to do with what he will get paid. His deal is the next in line and it will be more than the last one. Just like the next QB to get paid, his deal will be worth more than Dak's. Like it or not that's the way it works right now in the NFL.
It matters if you want to win a super bowl. It matters a lot.

Didn't you see Wilson complaining that he needs more talent around him? That's what happens when you hold the team hostage for a monster contract. You go from super bowl appearances to earlier playoff exits.

sean10mm

Reaction score
What is this "reports say" crap? It's all rumors and none of it should be taken seriously.

We all know sports journalism is trash in 2020 but people are just taking twitter gossip as gospel and it's dumb.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't matter is he is worth $32M, $35M or $40M. That really doesn't have much to do with what he will get paid. His deal is the next in line and it will be more than the last one. Just like the next QB to get paid, his deal will be worth more than Dak's. Like it or not that's the way it works right now in the NFL.
Yep and what's going to be interesting is to see if there's a run on getting all of these young guns re-signed before they're facing what the Cowboys are or if they want to wait and let Mahomes set the ceiling. If I've got Jackson, Watson and even Mayfield, I've got to play this a little cagey.

They're all trying to figure out what the Cowboys could have signed him for at the end of last season vs where they are now. Could they have gotten him for Cousins and Garoppolo money, high 20's?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Didn't you see Wilson complaining that he needs more talent around him? That's what happens when you hold the team hostage for a monster contract. You go from super bowl appearances to earlier playoff exits.
Losing all of their RB's contributed to that, at one time they were leading the league in rushing. His is a different set of circumstances, they expect to win with the run and D and him making plays. That's their plan. They didn't plan on their run game going off the rails.

But I agree with the situation with Prescott. If they capitulate to his contract demands, they better hope they stay the healthiest team in the league. We've seen what it's like with just the RB or WR1 out.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think you offer Dak 2 years at 33 mil all guaranteed. Then draft one in 2021 that you think can replace Dak.
If dak turns that down, put the tag on him that lets other teams make offers. Try and get brady or fitz.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Sign him $35-$38 range. Tag him and you’ll be staring at $42 million when negotiations come back around....

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

Could it be that Seattle defense got old and they let those players go? Offense lost some players too like Beastmode to retirement.

Setackin

radioactivecowboy88
Reaction score
If you don't have a feel for what the opinions are about what to do about Prescott after the continuous nonstop threads about Prescott that pop up every day, then can I suggest a different hobby to take up your time.
Chill keyboard warrior...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Make Dak the highest paid QB. It’s time for him to prove he can carry this franchise to a Super Bowl.

No more excuses . He has a top 10 defense, #1 offense , Fat Mikey and his SB swag to boot.

Time to sink or swim with our Rookie sensation. Lol

It’s nice to see the majority of Pollsters agree. Ha
Pay the man whatever it takes.

Last edited: