Pollard was actually not in the protection plan for this play

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Kellen Moore said they would try some things in the preseason just to see if they worked and would toss out the ones that didn't work.
Well hopefully they toss that one, but I looked at it again after I got a copy of the game, and I think now it was mostly on dak as well as poor play design.
He has to get rid of the ball quicker like throw it at pollards feet.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
i was about to say if anyone missed the block it seen to be witten. Look like he wanted to get out and run that 2 yard route too fast and whiffed on the block.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Agreed.

What also is failed to mention is that if Pollard was indeed supposed to leak out as an outlet for a check down by Dak he was waaaaaay to slow in turning around and facing Dak to be a target.

You block a blitz or throw right past it.

If Pollard just swings right and turns to Dak, it's a trivial throw with acres of empty green in front of Pollard.

That should be basic football for a back. If there are no defenders in front of you, don't try to block, just give the QB an easy target. It's a two on one scenario. Separate the two and let the defender choose, and give the ball to the guy he doesn't choose. Automatic win. If you try to block and fail, the QB is humped.

From the sounds of it and the look of it, that was the design, and that was what Dak expected.