Portland ME and Providence RI

waldoputty

Reaction score
thanks in advance, anyone familiar with the 2 new england cities?
mostly curious about how friendly people are, cost of living, quality of medical care and restaurants.
in providence, most curious about their portugese restaurants and how hot it gets in the summer.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
thanks in advance, anyone familiar with the 2 new england cities?
mostly curious about how friendly people are, cost of living, quality of medical care and restaurants.
in providence, most curious about their portugese restaurants and how hot it gets in the summer.
Providence is a crappy little city, with a really bad traffic system. There are literally streets that run one way from both ends, toward the middle....and a serious lack of street signs. There are places where they're missing two or three in a row, which makes it very hard to find your way, especially if you turn on to one of the aforementioned one way streets.
As far as the temperature, in Summer it probably averages about 85, with a max of about 98, in most summers.
No idea about the restaurants.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Providence is a crappy little city, with a really bad traffic system. There are literally streets that run one way from both ends, toward the middle....and a serious lack of street signs. There are places where they're missing two or three in a row, which makes it very hard to find your way, especially if you turn on to one of the aforementioned one way streets.
As far as the temperature, in Summer it probably averages about 85, with a max of about 98, in most summers.
No idea about the restaurants.

thanks runwild, which part of providence were u in? i am interested in the area close to brown univ in the east portion of providence.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I used to live just outside Portland, beautiful area. It is a very different world and lifestyle over there. People are friendly, but weird, which changes the further South that you go. Cost of living is nothing compared to the WC.

Stay away from Providence :thumbup:

what dont u like about providence?
i am most interested in the eastern part of town (east of downtown) close to brown univ and the cafe/shopping area.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
thanks runwild, which part of providence were u in? i am interested in the area close to brown univ in the east portion of providence.
I didn't live there, but I used to deliver a lot of furniture all over the city. The whole place sucks. There are parts that look kind of nice, but getting there and getting out takes much longer than it should, for such a tiny city... and there's probably not one person there who isn't a Patriots fan. Lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
what dont u like about providence?
i am most interested in the eastern part of town (east of downtown) close to brown univ and the cafe/shopping area.
The Eastern part of Providence, not coincidentally, abuts the town of East Providence, which is a crapfest in and of itself.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Worried about global warming, or tsunamis?

the sea is rising but probably not an issue for my lifetime.

where i am currently is 400 ft elevation.
i am looking at leaving though so looking at options.
however i prefer something at least 50 ft above water.

hurricane flooding is #1 issue and i would be a lot more comfortable with somewhere at least 50 ft elevation.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
the sea is rising but probably not an issue for my lifetime.

where i am currently is 400 ft elevation.
i am looking at leaving though so looking at options.
however i prefer something at least 50 ft above water.

hurricane flooding is #1 issue and i would be a lot more comfortable with somewhere at least 50 ft elevation.
The highest point in the state is only 812 feet.. not relevant, but funny.