Twitter: Possible week one starting line up

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you dont know if ANY of these guys will pan out...regardless of position or round.
we'll never be picking this high again...taking slater in the scenario i layed out in my opinion is a solid pick.
but like i said...i think we take surtain and move on to rd2.
there are alot of ot's in this class i like up and down the board.

What’s your opinion on Stanford’s Walker Little?

morasp

Reaction score
Offense is above average unless someone gets hurt, defense is still below average. Doesn't really move the needle that much. Urban will probably be an improvement in the run defense. Those guys from Atlanta were on a worse pass defense than ours. And Kazee is coming off an injury that's hard to come back from.

cowboyec

Reaction score
What’s your opinion on Stanford’s Walker Little?
it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being one of the best.
love his size.
i believe he was an opt out and the yr before had an injury...but when he was on the field...he's very impressive.
strong.
athletic.
if we were to go OT in rd2...alex leatherwood,little and mayfield would be my targets.
i have seen some stuff with little in the 3rd.
but it feels like 2nd rd for him.
but he's one of the ot's i like.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If were starting Hill he better take a big step in his game or it's going to be a long season.

Neither Hill nor Gallimore is considered a big-time run defender. Maybe they'll develop into one, but I'm not counting on it.

Without adding to the DT position in the draft (which I hope we will), I believe our run-down defense is more than likely going to have Urban, Woods and Lawrence out there because they are our best run defenders.

We could go DE Urban, DT, Gallimore, DT Woods, DE Lawrence or DE Lawrence, DT Urban, DT Woods, DE Basham/Gregory.

I do think the team hopes that Hill and Gallimore will be the DTs on passing downs, but Watkins might be a possibility at one of those spots (he has better pass-rushing numbers than either Hill or Gallimore). Watkins also could be an end option on running downs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Serious question to answer ........will the changes on defense be enough? We've added three new players, ( four if you include Gregory). Are they truly upgrades are replacements. In other words, how much of an upgrade is Neal over Joe Thomas at LBer or Kazee over Woods for a team the finished dead last. The bottom line, it appears the FO is saying last year's defensive issues were more Nolan/scheme than talent.

Don't be surprise if our base defense has Watkins, Urban, Tank, Gregory. Remember his left side of the line uses 3-4 like personnel.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being one of the best.
love his size.
i believe he was an opt out and the yr before had an injury...but when he was on the field...he's very impressive.
strong.
athletic.
if we were to go OT in rd2...alex leatherwood,little and mayfield would be my targets.
i have seen some stuff with little in the 3rd.
but it feels like 2nd rd for him.
but he's one of the ot's i like.

He's one of my favorites as well and I wouldn't mind at all if he was the pick in round 2.

cowboyec

Reaction score
He's one of my favorites as well and I wouldn't mind at all if he was the pick in round 2.
pat donovan 2.0.
i really like the guy...and he is just getting started.
only the Lord make's m that big and athletic.
he could be a late 1 pick...wouldnt surprise me at all.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Neither Hill nor Gallimore is considered a big-time run defender. Maybe they'll develop into one, but I'm not counting on it.

Without adding to the DT position in the draft (which I hope we will), I believe our run-down defense is more than likely going to have Urban, Woods and Lawrence out there because they are our best run defenders.

We could go DE Urban, DT, Gallimore, DT Woods, DE Lawrence or DE Lawrence, DT Urban, DT Woods, DE Basham/Gregory.

I do think the team hopes that Hill and Gallimore will be the DTs on passing downs, but Watkins might be a possibility at one of those spots (he has better pass-rushing numbers than either Hill or Gallimore). Watkins also could be an end option on running downs.

Maybe they go:

Dlaw, Urban, Gallimore, Randy unless they want to keep him fresh for passing downs

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
pat donovan 2.0.
i really like the guy...and he is just getting started.
only the Lord make's m that big and athletic.
he could be a late 1 pick...wouldnt surprise me at all.

Same here. especially for a tea like Kansas City after they cut their two starters.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Maybe they go:

Dlaw, Urban, Gallimore, Randy unless they want to keep him fresh for passing downs

On run downs? I expect Woods to be in there. He's only on the roster as a run-down defender. Urban also is only a run-down defender. It will be interesting to see where we play him, though. If Quinn wants a big end on running downs, he could stick Urban at end. I'm also curious about Watkins. He's not considered a great run-down defender, but that was playing 3-4 end. If we put him at 4-3 end on running downs, he might fare better.

I'm hoping it's a moot point, though, and we get some better interior players early in the draft. None of the moves we made in free agency are absolutes as far as making our defense much better, especially on the line. I do think Urban will improve the run defense, wherever we play him because he has proven results there. Outside of that, I'm not sure. Basham isn't a bad run player on the outside, but he played more OLB than DE with the Jets.

One of the problems that we have had is that we don't have interior players who are good at both pass rushing and run defending, and I still don't think we do. Hill, Gallimore and Watkins (inside) are better against the pass than run, Woods and Urban are stout against the run, but offer little against the pass. That makes it more predictable how to attack the defense.

starfan1

Reaction score
Offense is stacked. Defense is weak in the front 7, secondary is starting to look promising.

Hopefully we get more than one starter in the draft. Either a DT or safety.
I may be the minority here but Im encouraged with what was transpiring with Hill pre-injury and Gallimore looked ok at times year 2 may be better. I am meh on Woods but as a rotational guy ok. Thats not saying that I dont want to grab someone in draft but I dont feel like its dire if they come back healthy.

Where does Christian barmore from Alabama project? Or does he play same position as the other 2.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
You’re telling me other players lifted them up. Well isn’t that with a team With great coaching is supposed to do. Come on

Well, I guess you could point to coaching as to the reason for the Chief’s success and not Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce. But, I think that would be stupid.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
On run downs? I expect Woods to be in there. He's only on the roster as a run-down defender. Urban also is only a run-down defender. It will be interesting to see where we play him, though. If Quinn wants a big end on running downs, he could stick Urban at end. I'm also curious about Watkins. He's not considered a great run-down defender, but that was playing 3-4 end. If we put him at 4-3 end on running downs, he might fare better.

I'm hoping it's a moot point, though, and we get some better interior players early in the draft. None of the moves we made in free agency are absolutes as far as making our defense much better, especially on the line. I do think Urban will improve the run defense, wherever we play him because he has proven results there. Outside of that, I'm not sure. Basham isn't a bad run player on the outside, but he played more OLB than DE with the Jets.

One of the problems that we have had is that we don't have interior players who are good at both pass rushing and run defending, and I still don't think we do. Hill, Gallimore and Watkins (inside) are better against the pass than run, Woods and Urban are stout against the run, but offer little against the pass. That makes it more predictable how to attack the defense.

Problem is we have 2 starters and 8 other bodies. Your right we will just have to wait and see how they play together in camp and of course after the draft.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If they can get an upgrade at 1T I’ll take that. I think we could be league average with that unit. Hill/Gallimore as your DT starters is scary though. Those two should probably be in a rotation with each other and have a true 1T come in.

I like Gallimore as the nickel pass rush 1T, which is arguably more of a starter than a run defense 1T. Don't like Hill as a starting DT, 3T or 1T, at all. Should just be a rotational pass rush DT, if that.

I'm hoping McCoy comes back for 3T. Draft a true quality run stuffing 1T. Nickel starters are McCoy and Gallimore. I can see drafting a 2nd or 3rd round 3T too if McCoy isn't back. Need someone to jump the roster on Hill at 3T.

With who we've got now, I'd start Gallimore and Woods, then drop Woods for Hill on true passing downs, moving Gallimore to 1T.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
On run downs? I expect Woods to be in there. He's only on the roster as a run-down defender. Urban also is only a run-down defender. It will be interesting to see where we play him, though. If Quinn wants a big end on running downs, he could stick Urban at end.

Talk was that Quinn did this at Seattle - use an oversized run defender DE on base downs - and that's the role that Urban has.

Some noise that Urban gives you something with batting down balls. Can't find numbers to back that up, though.

If we *had* dumped Jaylon, or there was any prospect of Jaylon's leg recovering to 2018 levels, the defense could be pretty interesting with Jaylon/Gregory/Basham playing LB behind Urban to provide a standup blitzer behind Urban.

Anyone know if at Seattle Quinn was pairing his big run defense DE with a standup LB blitzer behind him?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I may be the minority here but Im encouraged with what was transpiring with Hill pre-injury and Gallimore looked ok at times year 2 may be better. I am meh on Woods but as a rotational guy ok. Thats not saying that I dont want to grab someone in draft but I dont feel like its dire if they come back healthy.
Hill looked better at pass rush at times, but was still bad news in run defense. He's a downhill 1gap 3T, and may never fit playing 2gap. I consider him a rotational pass rushing DT at best. Between his lack of technique when drafted, his lack of fit to our defense, Marinelli giving up on him, Covid, and his injury, he's still not much more than a raw rookie with only 2 years of exclusive rights left. I'd rather bring in a young 3T to develop than spend the development snaps on Hill.
Easily, draft a 3T and a 1T rounds 2-3. Make Hill a pure rotational pass rush DT. Let Woods go.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The injury thing is a pretty substantial “given”. He looked better by attrition and being the last man standing, not because he was particularly good.

He can be upgraded upon today. And not worry about affording him.

I hope you’re right but I have the opposite opinion. He looks like he has no mind for the game and little idea of what he’s supposed to be doing out there. A dog chasing cars.
His overall grade by pff was 70.8

starfan1

Reaction score
Hill looked better at pass rush at times, but was still bad news in run defense. He's a downhill 1gap 3T, and may never fit playing 2gap. I consider him a rotational pass rushing DT at best. Between his lack of technique when drafted, his lack of fit to our defense, Marinelli giving up on him, Covid, and his injury, he's still not much more than a raw rookie with only 2 years of exclusive rights left. I'd rather bring in a young 3T to develop than spend the development snaps on Hill.
Easily, draft a 3T and a 1T rounds 2-3. Make Hill a pure rotational pass rush DT. Let Woods go.
whats Barmore's projection?