Twitter: Possible week one starting line up

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The biggest mistake that McCarthy could make would be for him to force Quinn to adhere to a defense that isn't his. I doubt that's what he meant when he tried to explain his ideas. He's anything but the most linguistic of speakers, to begin with. We'd better wait and see what's in store for a defense that isn't even in MM's wheelhouse. Dan Quinn seems like someone who's his own man. Let's wait and see what's in store defensively, before jumping to any half-baked conclusions about being forced to run Nolan's defense, rather than his own.

Croomraider

Reaction score
The idea of using yet another first round pick on an OL nauseates me. How in the world can all these good teams build OLs without throwing the draft resources we do at OL?

Between an OT like Slater at 10 and a trade down.............100 out of 100 times, trade down.

Yup, it's kindof crazy to think how much we've invested in the Oline. Continue to invest high leverage picks and
the same fans still cry for more OLine. Lol -------- Please, please just give me some Defense.. BPA (defense only) lol

Flamma

Reaction score
Yup.

we all saw the Nolan train wreck happening...from the day he was hired.

honestly, they let KRichard walk so big Mike could hire his buddy to run the defense.

smart.

hoping Quinn can bring some of that #LegionOfBoom magic back to us.

I hope so too. But the legion had multiple impact players throughout that entire defense. We have like 1. Well, he's being paid like one. It is what it is. There's only so much you can do with that.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
What's worse than a front office that can't fix problems? A front office they doesn't know there's a problem.

That defense is garbage.

OK. Then what would you have them do? You can’t fix something that’s broken overnight.

All in all I think it’s a move in the right direction. The secondary would be better (how could it not).

But what it sounds like, based on their moves and McCarthy’s press conference, is that they’re expecting significant improvement simply by having a real offseason and getting everyone back healthy. 6 of the 11 starters in Jon’s starting lineup went on IR last year and on defense Hill was coming on strong before he was injured.

They also have 10 draft picks. They need to find at least 2 starters.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
3rd in tackles, per NFL.

led the team in tackles. Again.

Even a headless chicken will eventually bump into something.

The amount of times he follows the ball he's bound to make tackles. The issues are that when the offense cut's back or any change of direction he's found wanting/out of position and gives up a big net deficit against the plays he makes.

I'm sure OC's play loss leading plays to get him moving horizontally, to then play the big pay-off cutback.

Last edited:

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
OK. Then what would you have them do? You can’t fix something that’s broken overnight.

Change the drafting strategy. We need to incorporate a certain amount of 'needs based' drafting, especially, after the first round.

DT for example. Get away from picking the higher ranked athletic highlight reel 3-tech on Defense. We've got DLaw, Gregory, Neal and even Jaylon to pressure, what we need is an 'enabler' at IDT, a 1-Tech that attracts double teaming and allows the gaps for the pass rushing unit to perform.

GMO415

Reaction score
Serious question to answer ........will the changes on defense be enough? We've added three new players, ( four if you include Gregory). Are they truly upgrades are replacements. In other words, how much of an upgrade is Neal over Joe Thomas at LBer or Kazee over Woods for a team the finished dead last. The bottom line, it appears the FO is saying last year's defensive issues were more Nolan/scheme than talent.

5-12

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That D hasn’t changed at all from last season......Smh
Some of the DBs look different, and Wilson and Diggs will be coming in with some experience, so that part could be better.

bigE79

Reaction score
I agree with the positive outlook. I don't understand the constant whining and complaining. Some fans complain about the current members of the team, draft picks, and FA's. What can the organization do to appease the ire of the fan base?
Winning more would be a great start.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Connor Williams was arguably our best OL last year given injuries.
The issue with him is that if he plays that same way again he will get paid a lot more than we will touch.
He's likely starting and playing well then moving on.

Hill has a profile as a 3rd down pass rusher. He is still no where near strong enough to start inside right now. BUT he is also still a year younger than Neville Gallimore who drafted a year later. Hill just turned 23 yesterday. He is going to end up a stud imho but he doesn't need to start this year.
:laugh:

basel90

Reaction score
Serious question to answer ........will the changes on defense be enough? We've added three new players, ( four if you include Gregory). Are they truly upgrades are replacements. In other words, how much of an upgrade is Neal over Joe Thomas at LBer or Kazee over Woods for a team the finished dead last. The bottom line, it appears the FO is saying last year's defensive issues were more Nolan/scheme than talent.

Huge defensive hole up the middle , weak LBs and DTs , mostly as last year , will result in a lot of rushing yards . Again jerry did not leave enough cap space to fill that gap . I think fans recall the nightmare games against the browns , cardinals and others running at will.