Possible WRs to trade for:

Reaction score
It is so funny. I was just watching the Cowboys/Bengals game, and I was wondering what T.J. Houshmandzedeh's contract situation was with Cinci. I love his grit, and he can definately be a #1. When I booted onto Yahoo!, there was an article on Yahoo! Sports listing the top 10 players who should or could be dealt by the NFL trading deadline. At #3 was our own Mr. Houshmandzedeh. The writer states that "He's going to be a free agent. He's going to get paid. The Bengals won't pay him, which is a joke, because he is one of the few players on that team you could even begin to call a leader". He named the Cowboys as one of the top 5 teams who would be interested.

What intrigued me about T.J. in the first place, besides his considerable skill, was the fact that he was an avid Cowboys' fan growing up. Phil Simms said, "He could even name the entire roster, each player's number, etc. How stoked would he be should he be traded to Dallas. The only problem I have is that the Ben-gals would try to squabble 2 #1 picks out of us. I'd give up one in a heartbeat. I know he's 29, but if he stays in great shape, he could play for another 8-9 years. He's had at least 90 catches & close to 1,100 yds. per season the past two years.

Another player who intrigued me was Roy Williams of the Lions. All the writer could say about Williams is that he might play harder for another team. We were one of 4 teams listed as possibilities.

Even though I like the "Housh" man, I can't help loving Roy Williams. He is more of a #1 WR at 6-2, 220. He had a monster year in 2007 with 82 catches, 1,310 yds., for a killer 16.0 average. You gotta have that kind of production from your #1 guy. Williams gave the Lions all his love last year, thinking things had finally turned around. They haven't, and he will never have those kinds of numbers for them again. He is starving to go to a winner like Dallas. Williams is 26 & won't be 27 until December. He's got at least 10 yrs. of quality football left in him, but I would still hate to get burned like we were when we gave up two #1s for Galloway.

Part of me doesn't want to give up our 2009 1st rd. pick because of Brian Orapko, OLB, Texas. This guy is a freak, and at 6-4, 255, runs a 4.6, Bench Presses-515, Squats-600, Power Cleans-380. He went into the Colorado game with 6 sacks, and would have had another 2-3 if he hadn't gotten tackled just before he hit the QB, or caused a holding penalty. He would be perfect on the left side. I know we have Spencer, who seems to be getting over some nagging injuries, but you can never have too many pass rushers. I say, "Bring it!"

Reaction score
Not another 1st round linebacker......

But if he is best available... Sure why not....

Ellis will whine again and get himself cut and Spence Diddy needs a guy to give him a breather....

Id rather see a good WR prospect but Calvin Johnson isnt in this draft and Harvin and his 4.3 speed will be long gone..

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
LEWIS DISPUTES HOUSHMANDZADEH TRADE RUMORS

Posted by Mike Florio on October 9, 2008, 8:00 a.m.
Bengals coach Marvin Lewis addressed on Wednesday reports linking receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh to the San Francisco 49ers.
Boy, that’s a bad rumor, huh?” Lewis said. “Number one, you’re going to get a club in trouble for tampering. That club has already been penalized once this year, very harshly.
“Number two, what club in its right mind would trade for a player that’s going to be an unrestricted free agent? Again, if you’re going to start a rumor, make it a good one. OK? Make it something that makes some sense to people inside the NFL. It’s unfortunate.”
Though we agree with the notion that the Niners aren’t planning to try to swing a trade for Houshmandzadeh, we disagree with the two reasons Lewis has provided.
First, it’s not tampering for a team to engage in internal discussions regarding a possible trade for a player under contract with another franchise. Tampering arises only if the team has communications with the player or his agent aimed at enticing him to join that team.
Second, plenty of teams in their right mind would trade for a player who is going to be an unrestricted free agent. As part of the deal, the team would sign the player to a long-term contract.
In fact, the second point made by Lewis underscores the absurdity of the tampering case against the Niners from a year ago. Bears linebacker Lance Briggs was playing pursuant to a franchise tender that applied only through the end of the year, pursuant to a contract that prevented the use of the franchise tag on him again. The Niners got in trouble for talking to Briggs’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, regarding a possible extension. But what the hell did the Bears think the Niners were going to do? Send a first-round pick to Chicago for a ten-game rental and the chance of signing him to a new contract even though the franchise rules prevented him from signing a new deal until the start of the 2008 league year?
Anyway, Lewis is right — the Niners don’t want Houshmandzadeh. But the coach’s reasoning has more holes than his team’s roster.
===

There is a great deal of truth to what Lewis says here. Too bad many people are not listening.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Alexander;2320895 said:

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis addressed on Wednesday reports linking receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh to the San Francisco 49ers.
Boy, that’s a bad rumor, huh?” Lewis said. “Number one, you’re going to get a club in trouble for tampering. That club has already been penalized once this year, very harshly.
“Number two, what club in its right mind would trade for a player that’s going to be an unrestricted free agent? Again, if you’re going to start a rumor, make it a good one. OK? Make it something that makes some sense to people inside the NFL. It’s unfortunate.”
Though we agree with the notion that the Niners aren’t planning to try to swing a trade for Houshmandzadeh, we disagree with the two reasons Lewis has provided.
First, it’s not tampering for a team to engage in internal discussions regarding a possible trade for a player under contract with another franchise. Tampering arises only if the team has communications with the player or his agent aimed at enticing him to join that team.
Second, plenty of teams in their right mind would trade for a player who is going to be an unrestricted free agent. As part of the deal, the team would sign the player to a long-term contract.
In fact, the second point made by Lewis underscores the absurdity of the tampering case against the Niners from a year ago. Bears linebacker Lance Briggs was playing pursuant to a franchise tender that applied only through the end of the year, pursuant to a contract that prevented the use of the franchise tag on him again. The Niners got in trouble for talking to Briggs’ agent, Drew Rosenhaus, regarding a possible extension. But what the hell did the Bears think the Niners were going to do? Send a first-round pick to Chicago for a ten-game rental and the chance of signing him to a new contract even though the franchise rules prevented him from signing a new deal until the start of the 2008 league year?
Anyway, Lewis is right — the Niners don’t want Houshmandzadeh. But the coach’s reasoning has more holes than his team’s roster.
===

There is a great deal of truth to what Lewis says here. Too bad many people are not listening.

He was right that it would be nice to start rumors that had some merit to them but his reasoning is completely off.

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
Alexander;2320895 said:

“Boy, that’s a bad rumor, huh?” Lewis said. “Number one, you’re going to get a club in trouble for tampering. That club has already been penalized once this year, very harshly.
===

he throws it out there that they are not going to try to resign him.:)

joseephuss

Reaction score
Cogan;2320879 said:
The only problem I have is that the Ben-gals would try to squabble 2 #1 picks out of us. I'd give up one in a heartbeat. I know he's 29, but if he stays in great shape, he could play for another 8-9 years.

The Bengals are not going to get two #1s out of any team for TJ.

TJ is 31.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
even if we trade a 1st for him and he only plays about 3-4 more years.....if we win a couple of SBs, then it was an excellent trade.

I like TJ cause he is tough. He reminds me of Irvin in that he plays with fire and he is tough in traffic. He isn't afraid to catch the ball with defenders draped all over him. IMO, if we were able to get TJ for a draft pick or two, it would be a steal. We already know what kind of NFL player he is.....his value is far greater than an unknown prospect or two.

Besides, we have a buttload of draft picks this upcoming year.....we don't have a lot of holes. Why not use a pick or two for one of the best #2 WRs in the NFL, and a WR who has all the ability to be a #1.

Of course, I would prefer Boldin to anyone else.....but I would definitely be happy with TJ.

To be honest, as big a fan of Roy Williams as I am, I would prefer TJ to Roy. TJ plays tougher and in our division, we need blue collar WRs.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Alexander;2320895 said:

Lewis is kinda being a moron here.

Why would someone trade for a player that will be an unrestricted FA?

Well maybe cuz they know a 0-5 team would be more willing to trade a player that won't help them this year (They aren't making the playoffs with or without him) and that since he'll be an UFA, they'd be willing to trade him for less then what they'd normally trade him for.

Does that make sense to you, Marvin, you freakin' idiot?

bsheeern

Reaction score
Rack;2321261 said:
Lewis is kinda being a moron here.

Why would someone trade for a player that will be an unrestricted FA?

Well maybe cuz they know a 0-5 team would be more willing to trade a player that won't help them this year (They aren't making the playoffs with or without him) and that since he'll be an UFA, they'd be willing to trade him for less then what they'd normally trade him for.

Does that make sense to you, Marvin, you freakin' idiot?
Yeah but why waste a pick on a UFA? You're gonna have to compete for him on the open market anyway. The only way I would do it if I were a gm is if it was for a late 6th-7th. You are renting a guy for half a season, who doesn't know your offense and doesn't have any chemistry with your qb. If and injury occurs to a playoff contender then go for it, otherwise just wait.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
bsheeern;2321547 said:
Yeah but why waste a pick on a UFA? You're gonna have to compete for him on the open market anyway. The only way I would do it if I were a gm is if it was for a late 6th-7th. You are renting a guy for half a season, who doesn't know your offense and doesn't have any chemistry with your qb. If and injury occurs to a playoff contender then go for it, otherwise just wait.

Not if you resign him. Trading for him and resigning him prevents you from having to compete for him on the open market.

bsheeern

Reaction score
Rack;2321565 said:
Not if you resign him. Trading for him and resigning him prevents you from having to compete for him on the open market.
You really think his agent will allow that? Not that he can stop it if its what TJ truly wants, but this rarely, rarely, rarely happens in the NFL. This is his last real contract and really his only shot at a big contract. No way his agent does a sign and trade unless he thinks its the most he would get anyway.

tx78613

Reaction score
Cogan;2320879 said:
Part of me doesn't want to give up our 2009 1st rd. pick because of Brian Orapko, OLB, Texas. This guy is a freak, and at 6-4, 255, runs a 4.6, Bench Presses-515, Squats-600, Power Cleans-380. He went into the Colorado game with 6 sacks, and would have had another 2-3 if he hadn't gotten tackled just before he hit the QB, or caused a holding penalty. He would be perfect on the left side. I know we have Spencer, who seems to be getting over some nagging injuries, but you can never have too many pass rushers. I say, "Bring it!"

Orapko is a beast! Hope he brings his game to the TX/OU game this weekend. He'd look great with a star on his helmet. Is he a Junior/Senior this year?

Spectre

Reaction score
I don't think Housh is going anywhere.

That said, I'd stay away from T.J. He's a fine player but he is going to be overvalued by some team. The guy is a solid possession receiver but is no threat to score from anywhere beyond the redzone. He makes his grabs but he gets his numbers by being thrown to ALOT.

SPHawk

Reaction score
I thought it was Carson Palmer that could name all the Dallas Cowboys players?