Post Your Best Cowboys Memory With Family

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Growing up in the Carolinas in the 1970's we had no choice but to watch the Commanders play every Sunday. My father worked in a furniture Factory and every Friday here came walking through the door all the Hog noses dressed up in full garb. My Father bet his whole paycheck that we could ill afford to lose on the weekend game between Dallas and Skins. Dallas won thank goodness and we have been fans for 45 years now.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My dad is from Mexico, he has never really understood football even though I played 7 years and coached it for 29. My favorite time was during last year's Houston game when Garrett punted instead of going for it. My dad said " ese pinche Garrett sucks"!!!!! Ahhhhhh, great memories!!!

JayFord

Reaction score
My family is all Commanders

I remember me and my dad were the only cowboys fans and when we won the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh we really stuck it too the family

A second close is my dad who was a stern man and hardly spoke or smile jumped out of his chair and started yelling when Leon lett picked up the fumble and I was too I remember him sayin “GO LEON GO LEON RUN BOY RUN BOY” and I was saying it too and then when don beebe swipes the ball out of his hand my dad said something I can’t post on this board because i don’t want to get banned

I’m glad I had those memories and he saw those superbowls before he passed.....especially the Pittsburgh one because he remembered the 70s ones against the steelers

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
:lmao2:my dad used to make me climb the antennae tower to tune the array during thunderstorms as a kid,when the wind would blow the picture out, and some of those big fat raindrops would sting,Too!:lmao:
Antennas..

Now that is a memory right there.

Rabbit ears on every TV.

And tin foil hanging off.

I can remember my dad wanting to watch Lawrence Well but to get it..

I had to stand by the TV and touch the antenna with the tin foil to ground the antenna.

Then we had to watch Bonanza the same way.

But I would sit in a chair next to the TV to watch also.

But that was the way it worked then.

Kids nowadays would think you were crazy.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
My buddy was living in Seattle in 2004 and just had leg surgery. Dallas was playing Seattle that December. He suggested he could get some handicap seats and we come up for the game. It was a MNF game too. So, me, my mom, and a friend of mine went. Still can't believe I drove a FWD Eclipse over the Blue Mountains in Oregon during December and made it. haha Anyway, had great seats with awesome access to the beer line :D. It was a back and forth game for all 4 quarters so there was a lot of back and forth smack talking going on between us and the crowd around us. Julius Jones went OFF on that game (198 yards and three touchdowns). We ended up winning. It was a fantastic weekend.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I went to Dallas Pittsburgh in 2016 where there was 7 lead changes and we won in the final seconds with my mom. She isn’t a fan of football she just wanted to get out and go on a road trip. She ended up having almost as much fun as me. Met some incredible fans from both fan bases and sat right behind the Dallas bench. I threw the X up to Dez and he gave me the nod of approval
Great game to go to. That was one of my favorite games in recent seasons.

JayFord

Reaction score
We were at FedEx field and Romo brings the Cowboys back to win 24-23 in 2013, the look of defeat of the Skins fans and all the Cowboys fans chirping in their house was simply glorious! What a game that was to experience and behold!

OMG I was jumping up and down at work!!!! The utter silence was the sweetest thing I ever witness

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Two seasons in a row the family had Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-laws. She hates football and sports in general.

The Cowboy game was the late game that day. So I felt certain I could eat and then head home and see the game. The food hit the table five minutes after the Cowboy kick-off. She walked in and just turned off the TV and said come to the table now.

The next season the same plans. I asked specifically what time we would eat. I was assured by my sister-in-law it would be around 1:45 pm.

The kick-off and still no food. Then, around ten minutes into the game she comes in and shuts off the TV, glaring at me all the while. Now keep in mind this is before DVR's. I could have recorded the game, but I had assurances.

Year three and guess who is hosting the Thanksgiving dinner.

I stayed home. My father-in-law called me. You need to come over here and be with the family. Is the food on the table? No, probably not until the game starts. I'll pass.

My brother-in-law called me. The husband of the witch who was enjoying her power.

Man you've got to come over. Nope, staying here and watching the game. Then can I come over? Bring turkey and the works.

He never showed.

I was in the dog house for over a month with all the women in the family.

The Thanksgiving dinner has been held at every home in the family on a rotating basis since then.

Not once has the food been served during the game since.

I'm kind of a legend in the family amongst the men now.

TheViper7

Reaction score
Two seasons in a row the family had Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-laws. She hates football and sports in general.

The Cowboy game was the late game that day. So I felt certain I could eat and then head home and see the game. The food hit the table five minutes after the Cowboy kick-off. She walked in and just turned off the TV and said come to the table now.

The next season the same plans. I asked specifically what time we would eat. I was assured by my sister-in-law it would be around 1:45 pm.

The kick-off and still no food. Then, around ten minutes into the game she comes in and shuts off the TV, glaring at me all the while. Now keep in mind this is before DVR's. I could have recorded the game, but I had assurances.

I stayed home. My father-in-law called me. You need to come over here and be with the family. Is the food on the table? No, probably not until the game starts. I'll pass.

My brother-in-law called me. The husband of the witch who was enjoying her power.

Man you've got to come over. Nope, staying here and watching the game. Then can I come over? Bring turkey and the works.

He never showed.

The Thanksgiving dinner has been held at every home in the family on a rotating basis since then.

Good for you. Seriously

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
Best family memory is taking my 10 year old, die hard Cowboys fan, son to Dallas for the Packers playoff game in 2016. Aside from the loss, everything about that trip was a great memory. I remember my son not having any idea what he was looking at when I handed him the tickets and told him we were doing something different for his birthday this year. I remember the look of happiness when he realized what he was looking at, and where we were going. I remember the excitement of him getting on an airplane for the first time (which lasted about 1 hour, then turned to "how much longer"). I remember our first stop in Dallas being at Whataburger, then throwing passes to him on the mini-field at the Star. The best part of the trip was of course being at the stadium. His first Cowboys game, my first playoff game. Walking up to that massive stadium, it's impossible not to get excited. The game didn't go our way, but there were plenty of great moments during the game. After the game (before the tornado scare), we went out to the Bill Bates section of sidewalk (near the Landry statue) and found the paver with our names on it. It was a dream come true to be there with my son, and every time I see a picture of the two of us from that trip it makes me smile. He's 13 now, and we're planning on going back to Big D this fall to make some more memories. Maybe this time some memories that include a "W" for the good guys :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
1972 playoff game vs 49ers. It was 28 to 13 heading to the 4th qrt. Roger was out due to an injured shoulder and Morton was QB. I was with my aunt and uncle and they wanted to go into town but I did not want to go, they told me it was a waste of time sitting there watching a game Dallas was going to lose. Roger entered the game but on 1st possession he fumbled but Dallas D held and forced a punt after that Roger would lead the Cowboys back. With 2 min left Dallas was still trailing 28-16 and my uncle kept saying lets go and I told him I was not leaving there was still time. Roger then hit Billy Parks for a TD to make it 28-23. But now little less and a min left Tony Fritsch would kick the onside kick and Dallas recovered. Roger then would hit Ron Seller with 52 sec left in the game giving Dallas a 30 to 28 lead. I never let my uncle forget about it. All I heard was no way Dallas could win but I never gave up on them. Honestly that is one reason I never turn the game off even these days until the clock is 00:00.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Mine is that Vikings game ,where C.B.S. was already scrolling thru the production credits on the screen as the game was about done ,when #12 hit the #88 for the T.D. & VICTORY (my little brother was standing up in the middle of the living room doing his funky Vikings victory dance & I laying on my stomach on the floor about 4' away from T.V.,,,when that happened,,, it was hilarious, as it looked like he'd caught sight of that snake haired woman Medusa cuz he'd froze in mid finger snaps with that stupid looking face of disbelief froze on his mug

I also fondly enjoyed that one Vikings game in where some fan in the stands dinged that ZEBRA in the gourd with an empty whiskey bottle,that's a pretty choice football memory for me,Too!
I was at a playoff game, we were playing the Vikings when Bud Grant had snow and ice trucked in and put on their sideline since we didn't have any.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

He never showed.

That's pretty horrible, Man,any of my family members would've full well known the reason why I wasn't attending holiday festivities with them& they'd of either gotten over it or died if a sister in law acted like that.

ColoradoCowboy

Reaction score
That would be our first Thanksgiving Day game.

Back in 1966.

The whole family did Thanksgiving at noon and then we left for the game against Cleveland.

They were the best in the division with Frank Ryan at QB and Gary Collins at WR and Jim Brown at RB.

If we beat them..we won the Eastern Division.

We beat them and it was the biggest party.

The crowd went crazy. Meredith played well, Bobby Hayes and especially Danny Reeves at RB had big plays. I recall Reeves thru a half back pass for a TD.

It was the very beginning of everything.

We had portable radios and listened to the post game all the way back to the car.

We finally got home and my brother had hooked up his new VHS recorder to record the game.We were not sure it recorded the game but when he fired it up..

we all started cheering all over.

We stacked our plates high and sat down to watch.

This was entirely new technology at the time.

My brother had to rewind and slow mo play after play was we all ooed and marveled.

Great memories for sure of family and turkey and Cowboys.

People take it all for granted now..

But then it was first time stuff.

:starspin:

Cool Story, bro.

Also, according to Wikipedia:
"VHS (short for Video Home System) is a standard for consumer-level analog video recording on tape cassettes. Developed by Victor Company of Japan (JVC) in the early 1970s, it was released in Japan on September 9, 1976 and in the United States on August 23, 1977."

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Cool Story, bro.

Also, according to Wikipedia:
"VHS (short for Video Home System) is a standard for consumer-level analog video recording on tape cassettes. Developed by Victor Company of Japan (JVC) in the early 1970s, it was released in Japan on September 9, 1976 and in the United States on August 23, 1977."
Hey..

Good info.

My brother had been in the Navy back in the 60s and he brought the VHS back with him.

I only remember he had it and was only about 10 at the time

He had been to Japan as he was stationed in Antartica. It was huge like a reel to reel player.

He has passed away so I can not ask him about it

It was not like a US consumer unit. So don't know except it may have been available in Japan earlier.

That is not unusual that stuff is released over there long before we see it.

It's a mystery.

Later.

Flamma

Reaction score
The first whole football game I ever watched was with my father. Him rooting for the Steelers and me rooting for the Cowboys in Super Bowl X. But one of my most memorable moments not only in football, but in my life as well, was sitting there with what would be my future wife watching Alvin Harper take that slant all the way to the 9 yard line against the 49ers. All those suffering Cowboys fans will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Not sure about "best memory", it's one of those things we can laugh about now but at the time...

Don't remember the year, but Danny White, TD, Randy White and those guys were playing, I was like 16, 17? Me, my brother, his wife and my mom were watching it on TV, Dallas v Detroit. Lions won on a last second field goal.

Lions players were celebrating, rolling around on the ground, dog piling, all that stuff. My mom and sister-inlaw were laughing and going on about "those Lion players are so happy!". The last second loss was bad enough, but I couldn't take them being happy. I lost it, started screaming at them how they weren't supposed to be happy about the Cowboys losing. I don't remember saying it but apparently I told them it was "Un-American". Stormed off to my room and slammed the door.

They still laugh at me about that day. They don't act happy after the Cowboys lose though, not around me.