Practice Squad - Red Shirt/ Hold-outs

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
There has been a change in the rules for practice squads. They have added two more. This means some of the defenders drafted could expect to redshirt for 2021, which leaves room for additional players were the team to pursue free agents for something like DT.

Rosters
  • Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)
  • Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad
  • Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players
  • Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team.

The rules have changed for players who hold out, or leave training camp. I especially like the aspect of a player cannot hold out and still accrue a year of NFL service toward his free agency. While I like Zeke, this would have been a significant rule which would have changed his hold-out.

Holdouts
  • Increased fines for holdouts and players who leave training camp without permission
  • Players under contract who fail to report to camp on time or leaves the team for more than five days without permission will no longer be eligible to earn an accrued season for that year

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There has been a change in the rules for practice squads. They have added two more. This means some of the defenders drafted could expect to redshirt for 2021, which leaves room for additional players were the team to pursue free agents for something like DT.

Rosters
  • Teams can designate an additional player to return from injured reserve each year (three instead of two)
  • Two practice-squad players each week can be elevated to the team's active roster, and a team doesn't have to replace the player on the practice squad
  • Active game-day rosters increased from 46 to 48 players
  • Practice squads expanded from 10 to 12 players in 2020-2021, then to 14 players starting in 2022 (including between two and four players with unlimited accrued seasons per team.

The rules have changed for players who hold out, or leave training camp. I especially like the aspect of a player cannot hold out and still accrue a year of NFL service toward his free agency. While I like Zeke, this would have been a significant rule which would have changed his hold-out.

Holdouts
  • Increased fines for holdouts and players who leave training camp without permission
  • Players under contract who fail to report to camp on time or leaves the team for more than five days without permission will no longer be eligible to earn an accrued season for that year
Thanks for the info ! sounds like some good rule changes to deal with any more situations like they had last year.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Active players should be active that is one of the stupid things the NFL does. Everything looks good tho...more players to develop.

I always thought so too. I heard the reason is to make the game more competitive. One team may have 5 players injured one week and the opponent has no players injured. Therefore, the game will be against a team with 53 players active vs a team with 48 players active. The games will almost always be a fair 48 vs 48.

I think maybe a better way is to allow for 48 players to be active with 5 players as emergency. The 5 emergency players are allowed to replace a player who gets injured in the game and can no longer play. For example, a concussion or something broke or torn or pulled.

Once the player goes out of the game, he cannot return for one whole game. If a player got injured in the 3rd quarter and went out and was replaced, he has to remain out until the 3rd quarter of the next game.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I always thought so too. I heard the reason is to make the game more competitive. One team may have 5 players injured one week and the opponent has no players injured. Therefore, the game will be against a team with 53 players active vs a team with 48 players active. The games will almost always be a fair 48 vs 48.

I think maybe a better way is to allow for 48 players to be active with 5 players as emergency. The 5 emergency players are allowed to replace a player who gets injured in the game and can no longer play. For example, a concussion or something broke or torn or pulled.

Once the player goes out of the game, he cannot return for one whole game. If a player got injured in the 3rd quarter and went out and was replaced, he has to remain out until the 3rd quarter of the next game.
Good info on why they do that, and you have an excellent idea about how to handle the roster.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The rules have changed for players who hold out, or leave training camp. I especially like the aspect of a player cannot hold out and still accrue a year of NFL service toward his free agency.

Holdouts

Boom. That's yuge. Consequences. Accrued seasons are what you're working for on your rookie contract.

Though the 5 day limit is too short. Stuff happens. Preventing an accrued season for 5 days away is too easy a trigger.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Boom. That's yuge. Consequences. Accrued seasons are what you're working for on your rookie contract.

Though the 5 day limit is too short. Stuff happens. Preventing an accrued season for 5 days away is too easy a trigger.

That's why it says without permission. Obviously if they have permission to not be at camp it won't be a problem.

conner01

Reaction score

Well it’s without permission
Most things that could come up other than just holding out could be easy to explain to the team and get permission
This should end holdouts and the way it should always have been
If you refuse to play a team shouldn’t lose a year of your rights

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Them Jones boys know how to stash away players and you have to figure they knew well in advance about this latest development. ;)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

So what happened if the team with 5 injured players gets a player injured. They still have no emergency players to come in. As where the team with no injured emergency players do.
That is still a non competitive action. Defeats that purpose.

The can't play until the next 3rd quarter is too college like on the targeting rule concept. Not really fair to a player that twist an ankle, but the team is far enough ahead, they decide to sit him for the rest of the game if they were to activate a player. Say you have 2 TE's one goes out, but you need 2 TE's, so you activate one.

I understand why they have that rule, and never fully agreed with it, as injuries are part of the game. This is where they could use the PS as unlimited adding them to the team for the week. to replace injured players, therefore making all 53 active.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Them Jones boys know how to stash away players and you have to figure they knew well in advance about this latest development. ;)

Yeah they stashed Jamielle Showers for what, 5 years. That worked out well. At least monatarliy for Showers. :lmao2:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
So what happened if the team with 5 injured players gets a player injured. They still have no emergency players to come in. As where the team with no injured emergency players do.
That is still a non competitive action. Defeats that purpose.

The can't play until the next 3rd quarter is too college like on the targeting rule concept. Not really fair to a player that twist an ankle, but the team is far enough ahead, they decide to sit him for the rest of the game if they were to activate a player. Say you have 2 TE's one goes out, but you need 2 TE's, so you activate one.

I understand why they have that rule, and never fully agreed with it, as injuries are part of the game. This is where they could use the PS as unlimited adding them to the team for the week. to replace injured players, therefore making all 53 active.

No rule will be perfect but it makes it better than before. No way to make competitive balance perfect.

Need the one whole game out so teams aren’t playing games with the injury excuse during the game.

The competition committee also wanted to keep it at 48 because coaches will have a harder time preparing against 53 than 48. 5 extra players to game plan for. Allowing 5 as emergency and making them sit a whole game somewhat limits the probability of emergency players joining. Only truly injured players would come out.

I don’t like the PS player idea because teams can stash players on the PS and play roster manipulation games with it.