Pre-Draft Visits - All 30

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still carry the scar from 2009 when Dallas had picks to trade up and just sat in round two waiting to see if Max Unger would fall to them.

Unger went just ahead of our pick and Dallas had no fallback option, so they ended up trading down twice and wound up with the great special teams draft.

BTW, 4th rounder Victor Butler was the man, but Wade Phillips couldn't bear to take his baby, Anthony Spencer, off the field on obvious passing downs.

The moral of my rambling is, don't wait.

If a safety falls close enough, use a 4, or a 4 and next year's 5, and go get the guy you want.

I don't like Philly (#53, #57) and Houston (#54, #55) both having two picks ahead of Dallas at #58.

If someone we love is there, I'm hoping Tennessee (#51) or Pittsburgh (#52) is willing to move down a little.

Unger
Jerry blabbed to Holmgren that they were going to draft Unger. Seattle traded in front of Dallas to pick Unger.

The Cowboys with Tom Ciskowski leading the draft literally didn't have a plan B for Unger being off the board.

Butler
Victor Butler's problem was not knowing when to rush, cover or play the run.

The Strong Side OLB position in Wade's defense was mentally difficult in that regard.

Butler was better when he played Ware's Weak Side OLB spot because it had simplified requirements from a mental perspective.

Bluefin

Reaction score
Butler

Victor Butler's problem was not knowing when to rush, cover or play the run.

The Strong Side OLB position in Wade's defense was mentally difficult in that regard.

Butler was better when he played Ware's Weak Side OLB spot because it had simplified requirements from a mental perspective.
He was still a better edge rusher than Anthony Spencer, who never met an unblocked sack he didn't like.

Victor Butler could get to the QB, he showed it as a rookie and in pres-season his second year.

Spencer had a particularly bad year rushing the passer in 2010, Butler's year two, but Wade Phillips still rarely took "almost" Anthony off the field.

It was just dumb to not give Butler more reps in pass rush situations, he wasn't going to perform worse than Wade's guy in that role.

Spencer would've still started and played the majority of snaps. Let him focus on run downs and then spell him on some passing downs.

It was poor use of personnel, DeMarcus Ware played way too many snaps as well.

Unger

Jerry blabbed to Holmgren that they were going to draft Unger. Seattle traded in front of Dallas to pick Unger.

The Cowboys with Tom Ciskowski leading the draft literally didn't have a plan B for Unger being off the board.
I remember watching that draft, utterly perplexed why Dallas wasn't trading up for Max Unger, a coveted player according to pre-draft gossip.

It's all the more damning if their wasn't a cluster of prospects still on the board they were comfortable with besides Unger.

Lesson learned?

The following year, the Cowboys traded up to select Dez Bryant in round one and again in round two for Sean Lee.

We need a safety.

If our guy gets close, go get him and make the team better.

reddyuta

Reaction score
He was still a better edge rusher than Anthony Spencer, who never met an unblocked sack he didn't like.

Victor Butler could get to the QB, he showed it as a rookie and in pres-season his second year.

Spencer had a particularly bad year rushing the passer in 2010, Butler's year two, but Wade Phillips still rarely took "almost" Anthony off the field.

It was just dumb to not give Butler more reps in pass rush situations, he wasn't going to perform worse than Wade's guy in that role.

Spencer would've still started and played the majority of snaps. Let him focus on run downs and then spell him on some passing downs.

It was poor use of personnel, DeMarcus Ware played way too many snaps as well.

I remember watching that draft, utterly perplexed why Dallas wasn't trading up for Max Unger, a coveted player according to pre-draft gossip.

It's all the more damning if their wasn't a cluster of prospects still on the board they were comfortable with besides Unger.

Lesson learned?

The following year, the Cowboys traded up to select Dez Bryant in round one and again in round two for Sean Lee.

We need a safety.

If our guy gets close, go get him and make the team better.

I would only do it if it costs us our compensatory pick,we cant give a 3rd to move up.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I would only do it if it costs us our compensatory pick,we cant give a 3rd to move up.
I don't want to use our 3rd, but would if it was for a major surprise faller.

I'd use either of our 4ths, and even throw in a 5th next year if needs be, to get ahead of Philly and Houston in round two.