Prescott: Late & Close

erod

Reaction score
"Late & Close" situations are one-score games in the 4th quarter or OT. Here are the top 10 passer ratings in these situations since 2016.

Brady 119.7
Roethlisberger 113.9
Wilson 111.1
Prescott 109.9
Brees 109.3
Ryan 106.3
Carr 105.2
Luck 104.6
Rodgers 102.1
Watson 99.4

That's out of the 32 QB with the most attempts in these situations since 2016, and includes postseason.
Where does he rank among quarterback in the red zone?

pansophy

Reaction score
"Late & Close" situations are one-score games in the 4th quarter or OT. Here are the top 10 passer ratings in these situations since 2016.

Brady 119.7
Roethlisberger 113.9
Wilson 111.1
Prescott 109.9
Brees 109.3
Ryan 106.3
Carr 105.2
Luck 104.6
Rodgers 102.1
Watson 99.4

That's out of the 32 QB with the most attempts in these situations since 2016, and includes postseason.
I'm hard on Dak, but IMO Dak plays better under stressful mental conditions which is a rare trait. A+ intangibles for sure. The time I first thought this was true is his rookie year, the offense had been sputtering a bit and Romo was almost healthy. There were questions as to whether the team should put Romo back in when healthy or should the franchise pass the torch to Dak.

I can't remember who we played, but Dak came out and played one of his best games of the season. Like really great and questions about whether he could play at a high level seemed to go away.

He has repeated that pattern over and over. It may be his best quality. Consistency is probably his worst, which we can all hope comes with time.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Where does he rank among quarterback in the red zone?
Every member of the offense ranks near the bottom of the league because Dallas is 30th in red zone TD percentage, as has been discussed in at least four separate threads over the last few days.

That's after ranking 3rd and 6th the previous two years -- with the same QB.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I recall another QB in Dallas who did not always play great early in games yet was one of the most deadly QB to play the game from behind. Roger Staubach. Not saying Dak is equal to Roger but I used to watch games with Roger playing and the offense doing nothing for good chunks of the game only to find themselves behind late in the game but you always knew we were not out of it. Dak is a young QB with much to improve on but he does have that ability to buckle down and make plays in critical situations.
Roger won a SB in his first season as the regular starter. That will cure all ills as it will for Dak if he accomplishes that. Had Dak won the SB in 2016-17 the narrative would be very different right now. Instead they lost at home by digging themselves a 21-3 deficit and the offense didn’t wake up against a bad defense until just before half. They almost overcame it as they were clearly the better team, but so far that’s all the playoff history we have on Dak. I don’t blame that loss on Dak but it would have been great to see him go toe to toe with Rodgers for all 60 minutes instead of just 35 or 40 minutes.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I'm hard on Dak, but IMO Dak plays better under stressful mental conditions which is a rare trait. A+ intangibles for sure. The time I first thought this was true is his rookie year, the offense had been sputtering a bit and Romo was almost healthy. There were questions as to whether the team should put Romo back in when healthy or should the franchise pass the torch to Dak.

I can't remember who we played, but Dak came out and played one of his best games of the season. Like really great and questions about whether he could play at a high level seemed to go away.

He has repeated that pattern over and over. It may be his best quality. Consistency is probably his worst, which we can all hope comes with time.
I don’t believe he thinks as much. He just reacts and lets it go. People talk about a lack of coaching with Dak, it’s possible he’s actually overcoached.

erod

Reaction score
Every member of the offense ranks near the bottom of the league because Dallas is 30th in red zone TD percentage, as has been discussed in at least four separate threads over the last few days.

That's after ranking 3rd and 6th the previous two years -- with the same QB.

Statistics are useless with this offense. That's my point.

It goes too many long stretches without scoring touchdowns. Last year, it went about 15 quarters with only 1 touchdown. We just saw almost six consecutive quarters without one. Yards go for naught.

That has to be remedied by the time the playoffs get here.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Brady 119.7
Roethlisberger 113.9
Wilson 111.1
Prescott 109.9
Brees 109.3
Ryan 106.3
Carr 105.2
Luck 104.6
Rodgers 102.1
Watson 99.4

Unfortunately, most of the guys on this list (lol Carr) are consistently great in quarters 1-3 as well. And last I checked points scored in those quarters count in the final tally.

On this 5 game win streak we have scored an average of 24.4 points. That'd rank 14th in the NFL.

Dak is a weak link on this team.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That's debatable, but if we can draw any (admittedly very general) conclusion about the last 2 seasons plus, it's that Dak seems to play to the level of his receivers.
That description sounds like the exact opposite of a franchise QB.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It’s exactly what happened. Late and close is utter BS and is almost as laughable as the idea that Dak is clutch. Dak is anti-clutch.
Can any Dak slobberer point me to the video of Dak leading the team on an 88 yard drive with 1:40 to go, no timeouts, no time to run or dink and dunk, Joe Montana style? You know what people really think of as clutch and not some phony tie game with 13 minutes left in the fourth quarter?
I’ll wait right here for the video.
Pretty sure he went 75 yards this year at one point to bring a game to overtime and tie it up. And if I am wrong. He brought the Cowboys back in 2016 against a better Green Bay team from a 21 point deficit and we lost because of an insane throw from one of the best to ever do it. Please man. You sound like an incessant teenager upset he cant take his parents car to prom.

robbieruff

Reaction score

Brady 119.7
Roethlisberger 113.9
Wilson 111.1
Prescott 109.9
Brees 109.3
Ryan 106.3
Carr 105.2
Luck 104.6
Rodgers 102.1
Watson 99.4

I suppose stated another way - I rather have a dude struggle for 3 quarters but step it up big time at crutch time than one who beasts for 3 quarters only to have a gut wrenching gaffe at crutch time that costs us the win. Something to ponder.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The exact opposite is a QB who sucks no matter who his receivers are. That's why it's debatable.

Scenario 1: Understanding you don't have a franchise QB that at least will lead to a search for a franchise QB.

Scenario 2: You have a guy who is about to be paid like a franchise QB who takes up 20% of the cap but plays like an average starter at best who needs exceptional players around him at all time.

Give me the "exact opposite" and scenario 1 today and everyday.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
how do you define elite?

how do you define bus drive?
Rational person...

Elite: Drew Brees
Bus Driver: Dak Prescott

People who use wins to define QBs...

Elite: Dak Prescott (1-0 this season vs Brees)
Bus Driver: Drew Brees (0-1 this season vs Prescott)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Scenario 1: Understanding you don't have a franchise QB that at least will lead to a search for a franchise QB.

Scenario 2: You have a guy who is about to be paid like a franchise QB who takes up 20% of the cap but plays like an average starter at best who needs exceptional players around him at all time.

Give me the "exact opposite" and scenario 1 today and everyday.
Kind of a "bird in the hand" thing that factors in though.