Prescott: Late & Close

uvaballa

Reaction score
Could it be a "nothing to lose" attitude?...Maybe.
Would I prefer that the offense doesn't screw the pooch in the first 3 quarters, so they don't have to put up these numbers in the 4th and OT? ...Definitely

But I'm glad Dak has the ability to turn it on at some point.
I agree but many fans talk great about QB with 4th quarter comebacks. Some very good QBs on that list so they aren’t blowing teams out as much as we think.

I do like feeling very confident in the O at the end of games.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Rational person...

Elite: Drew Brees
Bus Driver: Dak Prescott

People who use wins to define QBs...

Elite: Dak Prescott (1-0 this season vs Brees)
Bus Driver: Drew Brees (0-1 this season vs Prescott)

At some point when evaluating QBs, yes wins do need to be considered. Cousins has some big passing stats and got paid big money, but it doesn't necessarily translate to winning games. This was posted somewhere else, after the MNF game.

Kirk Cousin Career Stats

Record In Primetime Games: 5-13
Record vs Winning Teams: 4-24
Record vs Winning Teams This Year: 0-5
Career Road Record: 12-23-2
Career Record On Monday Night Football: 0-7

I don't care how many yards, TDs, completion% or whatever type stat you want to show how good a QB he is, the win/loss record doesn't bear that out. He's considered a "franchise QB" and had several suitors during the offseason and has a wealth of offensive weapons.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted already, but I saw an interesting stat.

Teams are 1-73 when being penalized over 100 yards, give up three touchdown passes, and lose the turnover battle by 2 or more. This game against the Eagles is that one win.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Roger won a SB in his first season as the regular starter. That will cure all ills as it will for Dak if he accomplishes that. Had Dak won the SB in 2016-17 the narrative would be very different right now. Instead they lost at home by digging themselves a 21-3 deficit and the offense didn’t wake up against a bad defense until just before half. They almost overcame it as they were clearly the better team, but so far that’s all the playoff history we have on Dak. I don’t blame that loss on Dak but it would have been great to see him go toe to toe with Rodgers for all 60 minutes instead of just 35 or 40 minutes.

Roger played for a SB team the year before Dallas played the Colts that was an established team already. Doomsday was in place and all weapons on offense. Roger and Morton would even alternate until Landry finally settled on Roger over Morton.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dak is clutch.

He is also poor at throwing the ball down the field, and his inconsistency as a passer means that this team is in close games more often than it should be.

It's unsustainable to keep having games like Atlanta, NO, and Philly.

The problem here is it almost sounds like you have a valid point.
Unfortunately you don't.

FACT: Dak has a top 10 deep ball QB rating since 2016.
FACT: Even with horrible Gallup timing Dak has been exactly average this year on his deep ball completion %.
FACT: Dak is 30-15 so he is absolutely performing in a proven, sustainable manner.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Roger played for a SB team the year before Dallas played the Colts that was an established team already. Doomsday was in place and all weapons on offense. Roger and Morton would even alternate until Landry finally settled on Roger over Morton.
Yeah I think we all know the history, and really that just solidifies my point that in the fanbase’s mind Roger stepped in for Morton and became the regular starter and they finally get over the hump after several years of having the choke label on them. So that bought Roger an incredible amount of goodwill. Dak doesn’t have that goodwill. At least not yet.

The question is, at the end of the day will Dak be Roger who stepped in for the Morton in Romo and led this team finally to a title. Or will down the line someone steps in for Dak and gets us over the hump. Or worst of all are we years and years and years away still.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted already, but I saw an interesting stat.

Teams are 1-73 when being penalized over 100 yards, give up three touchdown passes, and lose the turnover battle by 2 or more. This game against the Eagles is that one win.
Yes, mentioned a bunch.
That was because Dallas doubled the Eagles in yardage and first downs.
Without penalty parade and turnovers we'd have simply blown them out.
But the vast amount of plays we ran lead to more offensive penalties and the tons more drop backs led to more QB turnovers.
It all works together and end of day it was a W.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah I think we all know the history, and really that just solidifies my point that in the fanbase’s mind Roger stepped in for Morton and became the regular starter and they finally get over the hump after several years of having the choke label on them. So that bought Roger an incredible amount of goodwill. Dak doesn’t have that goodwill. At least not yet.

I agree but Dak did not step into a SB team, he stepped into a team that was not winning consistently or doing anything in post season before he took over. Granted until or unless Dak and this team can win it all he will be doubted and questioned.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The problem here is it almost sounds like you have a valid point.
Unfortunately you don't.

FACT: Dak has a top 10 deep ball QB rating since 2016.
FACT: Even with horrible Gallup timing Dak has been exactly average this year on his deep ball completion %.
FACT: Dak is 30-15 so he is absolutely performing in a proven, sustainable manner.
That's what happens when you only throw deep twice a game. I can't think of a more ridiculous stat, on a worse sample size.
Average = bad, and completion % is a useless statistic.
Nope. Teams who have had the Cowboys' offensive performance against the Saints and Eagles are like 5-500 ever. Not to mention the fact that I mentioned 3 specific games and said those ones aren't sustainable. I don't really care what Dak did 3 seasons ago, and neither should you.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
I agree but Dak did not step into a SB team, he stepped into a team that was not winning consistently or doing anything in post season before he took over. Granted until or unless Dak and this team can win it all he will be doubted and questioned.
Yeah I agree with what you are saying but I think the perception is that he’s on a SB type team right now. Whether that perception is fair or not I guess doesn’t matter. I think fans believe Dak will make or break this team and what he does over the next two seasons will say a lot about his support with this fanbase.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah I agree with what you are saying but I think the perception is that he’s on a SB type team right now. Whether that perception is fair or not I guess doesn’t matter. I think fans believe Dak will make or break this team and what he does over the next two seasons will say a lot about his support with this fanbase.

in Roger case it was not a perception Cowboys went to the SB and had played in championship games prior to SB being played vs GB in 1966. Before Roger ever played a game for us. These modern day Cowboys have been up and down even with Romo at QB. No doubt it's Dak turn in the hot seat and fans will dump on him if he fails to help this team to a SB and win it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's what happens when you only throw deep twice a game. I can't think of a more ridiculous stat, on a worse sample size.
Average = bad, and completion % is a useless statistic.
Nope. Teams who have had the Cowboys' offensive performance against the Saints and Eagles are like 5-500 ever. Not to mention the fact that I mentioned 3 specific games and said those ones aren't sustainable. I don't really care what Dak did 3 seasons ago, and neither should you.
LOL good lord... you serious talk sample size then ignore the 3 seasons worth of play to focus on 3 "wins".

Whatever standard you want to use Dak has been good on deep passing for his career.
His deep shots have been increasing.
And with Cooper/Austin there was a fair amount of success (even with Austin dropping one in the end zone).
Gallup is R3 rookie and they are not on the same page.
Dorks wanna blame that on the QB.
People with brains know Cole Beasley isn't a deep ball threat and was by far our best WR.
Add Cooper and the success rate climbed mightily.

And no average is not bad. It is average.

There are things one is strong at, things one is averagea t and things one is poor at.
You want to couch a 3rd year 4th rounder as poor in a stat he is average at versus the entire QB pool.
Nonsense.

You provided exactly zero statistical or factual content AT ALL.
You tossed out a full of crud aphorism or 3.

DAL is a 99.2% chance to make the playoffs. They don't need to do more.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
LOL good lord... you serious talk sample size then ignore the 3 seasons worth of play to focus on 3 "wins".

Whatever standard you want to use Dak has been good on deep passing for his career.
His deep shots have been increasing.
And with Cooper/Austin there was a fair amount of success (even with Austin dropping one in the end zone).
Gallup is R3 rookie and they are not on the same page.
Dorks wanna blame that on the QB.
People with brains know Cole Beasley isn't a deep ball threat and was by far our best WR.
Add Cooper and the success rate climbed mightily.

And no average is not bad. It is average.

There are things one is strong at, things one is averagea t and things one is poor at.
You want to couch a 3rd year 4th rounder as poor in a stat he is average at versus the entire QB pool.
Nonsense.

You provided exactly zero statistical or factual content AT ALL.
You tossed out a full of crud aphorism or 3.

DAL is a 99.2% chance to make the playoffs. They don't need to do more.
What are you talking about? Almost none of this has anything to do with anything I said.

Good on deep passing is easy when you don't take shots. Every QB in the league would have a good rating deep if they were as selective as Dak - his average air yards is abysmal relative to QBs who take as long as they do to throw the ball. If you're going to say that disconnect with a WRknocks numbers down, then you also have to credit the fact that teams have to play single-high b/c of Zeke and Amari for the success deep. Cuts both ways.

Dak throws a good deep ball, I'm not even arguing that. But he does not throw down the field with any consistency. He just doesn't. I'm not saying he can't or never will, he just doesn't have a body of work to say that he does. I don't know why people get so butthurt by that.

Average is bad in this NFL. You know who are average? Eli Manning, Marcus Mariota, and Cam Newton. As downfield passers, they all suck.

Good luck winning a playoff game scoring 10 points or losing the turnover battle by 3. Making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment in this conference, or the AFC either, I suppose, because you don't have to be a good team to do it.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Pretty sure he went 75 yards this year at one point to bring a game to overtime and tie it up. And if I am wrong. He brought the Cowboys back in 2016 against a better Green Bay team from a 21 point deficit and we lost because of an insane throw from one of the best to ever do it. Please man. You sound like an incessant teenager upset he cant take his parents car to prom.

Talk about some people moving the goal posts. Pointing out the positive side of Dak or his accomplishments apparently makes us "Dak Slobbers". It's one thing to criticize Dak on the valid issues of his game that he needs to work or and improve. Another to get upset at Cowboys fans who point out the stats in which highlights what Dak does well or the positive side of his game. Like some honestly get angry at what Dak does well and anyone who doesn't act like he is a 100% trash QB, is called a "Dak slobber."

Throwing out stats in which highlights what Dak does well. Yet, if it was Romo,Wince, Mahomes, Goff, or any other QB that receives support of this board, who has these stats. Then they would be used to highlight how these QBs are franchise QBs and full credit would be given to these QBs for these positive stats.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
At some point when evaluating QBs, yes wins do need to be considered. Cousins has some big passing stats and got paid big money, but it doesn't necessarily translate to winning games. This was posted somewhere else, after the MNF game.

Kirk Cousin Career Stats

Record In Primetime Games: 5-13
Record vs Winning Teams: 4-24
Record vs Winning Teams This Year: 0-5
Career Road Record: 12-23-2
Career Record On Monday Night Football: 0-7

I don't care how many yards, TDs, completion% or whatever type stat you want to show how good a QB he is, the win/loss record doesn't bear that out. He's considered a "franchise QB" and had several suitors during the offseason and has a wealth of offensive weapons.

Many has a similar viewpoint about the Vikings that they do about the Cowboys. And that is that the Vikings were a team loaded with talent, and just one upgrade a QB away from being Superbowl contenders. And the Vikings bought into it and signed Cousins to a big contract. Yet, the Vikings went from being in the NFC Championship game last season to fighting for a wild card spot this season. And the Vikings had plenty of talent offensively. Yet, Cousins could barely score on MNF when it counted.

Yet, despite Cousins going to a team more talented than the Skins and despite the thought of the Vikings being one QB away from a Superbowl, Cousins hasn't improve the Vikings much as more as playoff position goes. Yet, some still will say he is better than Dak or even assume that the Cowboys would be better off with a QB like Cousins over Dak.

Because Cousins fits into the more "traditional QB" and/or because some are just down on Dak, some will still give Cousins the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that he has a losing record against winning teams, a losing record in primetime spot light games, and despite the fact of him being on a loaded Vikings team, in danger of missing out on the Wild card. Or getting eliminated in the first round if they make it in.

Last edited: