Prescott: Late & Close

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Many has a similar viewpoint about the Vikings that they do about the QBs. And that is that the Vikings were a team loaded with talent, and just one upgrade a QB away from being Superbowl contenders. And the Vikings bought into it and signed Cousins to a big contract. Yet, the Vikings went from being in the NFC Championship game last season to fighting for a wild card spot this season. And the Vikings had plenty of talent offensively. Yet, Cousins could barely score on MNF when it counted.

Yet, despite Cousins going to a team more talented than the Skins and despite the thought of the Vikings being one QB away from a Superbowl, Cousins hasn't improve the Vikings much as more as playoff position goes. Yet, some still will say he is better than Dak or even assume that the Cowboys would be better off with a QB like Cousins over Dak.

Because Cousins fits into the more "traditional QB" and/or because some are just down on Dak, some will still give Cousins the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that he has a losing record against winning teams, a losing record in primetime spot light games, and despite the fact of him being on a loaded Vikings team, in danger of missing out on the Wild card. Or getting eliminated in the first round if they make it in.
My father is a Commanders fan. And was so happy when they got rid of Cousins. I never thought he was worth the money he got paid.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What are you talking about? Almost none of this has anything to do with anything I said.

Good on deep passing is easy when you don't take shots. Every QB in the league would have a good rating deep if they were as selective as Dak - his average air yards is abysmal relative to QBs who take as long as they do to throw the ball. If you're going to say that disconnect with a WRknocks numbers down, then you also have to credit the fact that teams have to play single-high b/c of Zeke and Amari for the success deep. Cuts both ways.

Dak throws a good deep ball, I'm not even arguing that. But he does not throw down the field with any consistency. He just doesn't. I'm not saying he can't or never will, he just doesn't have a body of work to say that he does. I don't know why people get so butthurt by that.

Average is bad in this NFL. You know who are average? Eli Manning, Marcus Mariota, and Cam Newton. As downfield passers, they all suck.

Good luck winning a playoff game scoring 10 points or losing the turnover battle by 3. Making the playoffs isn't an accomplishment in this conference, or the AFC either, I suppose, because you don't have to be a good team to do it.

Dallas does not avg 10 points a game, they avg 21 points a game and with this defense 21 points is not that bad

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dallas does not avg 10 points a game, they avg 21 points a game and with this defense 21 points is not that bad
Never said they average 10 points a game.

I meant to say 13 though lol, I was referring to NO.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Never said they average 10 points a game.

I meant to say 13 though lol, I was referring to NO.

No but you are talking about 1 game, that one game not any type of avg. Fact is Cowboys avg 21 a game and if they can continue improving on that then this defense is good enough to hold teams down.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No but you are talking about 1 game, that one game not any type of avg. Fact is Cowboys avg 21 a game and if they can continue improving on that then this defense is good enough to hold teams down.
Yea, but it's the one game they've won against a good team.

I agree that the offense probably hasn't peaked yet, but I don't think it has really shown any across the board of improvement over the last month other than the fact that Amari is just really good. The scheme, Dak, and the OL haven't progressed, Amari just fixes a lot. Who knows what the offense looks like a month from now.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Unfortunately, most of the guys on this list (lol Carr) are consistently great in quarters 1-3 as well. And last I checked points scored in those quarters count in the final tally.

On this 5 game win streak we have scored an average of 24.4 points. That'd rank 14th in the NFL.

Dak is a weak link on this team.

But let's also look at the bigger picture of this offense when discussing weak links.

Seven weeks ago, we had the worst receiver and tight end combination in the league. And today, even amidst this hot streak, we still have one of the league's least desirable situations at tight end.

Along the offensive line, our once dominant unit has regularly seen three opening-day starters absent, and its overall play has declined from what it once was. Again, even through this winning streak.

Those are also factors, in addition to the quarterback's up-and-down play, for why we've been middle of the road in points scored.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I agree that the offense probably hasn't peaked yet, but I don't think it has really shown any across the board of improvement over the last month other than the fact that Amari is just really good. The scheme, Dak, and the OL haven't progressed, Amari just fixes a lot. Who knows what the offense looks like a month from now.

but 1 game none the less. I think there are clearly things Dak needs to improve on but I do see progress in Dak play and Amari yards after catch do mean a lot but Dak still has to get him the ball and he has done that. Dallas is still a ball control team which will limit the opportunities in the redzone because of the time taking off the clock so it does become very important that Cowboys cash in on those redzone opportunities. I would also add that Carr was unable to get this production out of Cooper so Dak has to be doing something right

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

And they ended the game on the 1 yard line with first and goal....
So not only has mr sample size reduced this to ONE GAME, he has done so with nonsensical point totals.

Dallas is 14th in yards per offensive drive.
Dallas is 16th in points per offensive drive.
Dallas is 2nd in offensive time of possession per drive. (New Orleans is 1st and DAL controlled the ball on them ALL GAME because the offense converted 3rd down regularly)

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Good for you. I used to argue with everyone on the board, not anymore, I simply don't have the time or disposition to do it anymore so they get ignored.
Wish I had one, (Ignore button), for my ex wife. Probably would have saved my marriage. :laugh:

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
At some point when evaluating QBs, yes wins do need to be considered. Cousins has some big passing stats and got paid big money, but it doesn't necessarily translate to winning games. This was posted somewhere else, after the MNF game.

Kirk Cousin Career Stats

Record In Primetime Games: 5-13
Record vs Winning Teams: 4-24
Record vs Winning Teams This Year: 0-5
Career Road Record: 12-23-2
Career Record On Monday Night Football: 0-7

I don't care how many yards, TDs, completion% or whatever type stat you want to show how good a QB he is, the win/loss record doesn't bear that out. He's considered a "franchise QB" and had several suitors during the offseason and has a wealth of offensive weapons.
No.

Teams win.

Not individuals.

CCBoy

Reaction score
And they ended the game on the 1 yard line with first and goal....
So not only has mr sample size reduced this to ONE GAME, he has done so with nonsensical point totals.

Dallas is 14th in yards per offensive drive.
Dallas is 16th in points per offensive drive.
Dallas is 2nd in offensive time of possession per drive. (New Orleans is 1st and DAL controlled the ball on them ALL GAME because the offense converted 3rd down regularly)

Like sitting on a Southern porch at dusk and sipping on watermelon wine...:)

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Good point. I never put anyone on ignore just as a personal principle, but then again I don't post as much as most here, so I'm probably less annoyed by the riffraff.
It could be that you don't post as much and or you don't do the thing where when someone disagrees you just try to paint them as some type of troll like people on both sides of the Dak discussion do at times. Like someone said before your sports views are probably a glimpse into how you handle other things. For me folks that can only be around those that parrot their views and try to paint everyone else as bad and themselves as good I'm always leery of those types don't matter what side you're on.

Blake

Reaction score
It could be that you don't post as much and or you don't do the thing where when someone disagrees you just try to paint them as some type of troll like people on both sides of the Dak discussion do at times. Like someone said before your sports views are probably a glimpse into how you handle other things. For me folks that can only be around those that parrot their views and try to paint everyone else as bad and themselves as good I'm always leery of those types don't matter what side you're on.

Yea, I'm too old to take the disparaging nonsense to heart anymore; to be honest. Still passionate about the team and my opinions (at times), but not as much of an ideologue People push my buttons, sure. As I can push theirs. Nature of the beast. I caught heat because of my thoughts about female Marines. Gravy. Now, I know which members are triggered by my opinions on that topic. LoL. It's all fun and games to me. Not everyone has to like or agree with me. I'm not here for that. People take themselves far to seriously (myself included). People are in their right to block whoever, for whatever justification they may have - It was never my bag. But you put on a pair of shoes when you walk into the NY Public Library, fella!!