CFZ Preseason Game 1 Post Mortem

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was at the game in Denver last night and came away with a few observations I think could be important going forward. Before I even say anything let me say win, lose, or draw it was great to see the Cowboys back on the field for the first time this season.

#1) QB
Cooper Rush probably is not going to make the roster this year. Yes the guy won you the Minnesota game last season, but wow he missed on quite a few makable throws against Denver's practice squad DBs, couldn't set his feet, and the offense was stagnant with him in there. Say what you want about Ben DiNucci but he looked significantly better last night and it wasn't really close. I want to see what Will Grier can do for us too. I'll be interested to see what happens going forward, but the backup position is starting to get out of Rush's reach in my opinion. I don't love any of the options but someone has to win.

#2) Offensive Line
Tyler Smith was DOMINANT last night outside of the two penalties. The dude is still a raw prospect, but I was specifically watching all of his reps out there and he was blasting people out of the way in the run game and had nice, light feet and heavy hands in the pass game. I like the trajectory here and Dallas may have found a good one.

Additionally, Josh ball is really not very good. The technical term for his play last night is burnt toast. What a disappointing pick. I think there is a chance he is cut before game 1. I hated the pick from day one given his legal history so I am glad to see a guy like that go. Outside of that, not a whole lot else I could glean from the position group.

#3) Kicker is a Problem
The answer is not on the roster. Jerry needs to get a grip and find a vet that can give you league average play. Of course, there are another 2 kickers on the roster that didn't kick last night, but none of them have played meaningful NFL time.

#4) This Team is UNDISCIPLINED
I understand it was a preseason game, but 17 penalties is completely and utterly unacceptable. Do you think a Tom Landry coached team would routinely show up and post 10+ penalties a game? Not a chance. I do not know what it is going to take to fix this problem, but our guys see no issue committing a blatant penalty and throwing their arms up at the refs. I place this squarely on Jerry and the culture he has developed around this organization. Something has got to give, but Dallas will not win anything if they keep it up with sloppy play like this.

Last edited:

coult44

Reaction score
I was at the game in Denver last night and came away with a few observations I think could be important going forward. Before I even say anything let me say win, lose, or draw it was great to see the Cowboys back on the field for the first time this season.

#1) QB
Cooper Rush probably is not going to make the roster this year. Yes the guy won you the Minnesota game last season, but wow he missed on quite a few makable throws against Denver's practice squad DBs, couldn't set his feet, and the offense was stagnant with him in there. Say what you want about Ben DiNucci but he looked significantly better last night and it wasn't really close. I want to see what Will Grier can do for us too. I'll be interested to see what happens going forward, but the backup position is starting to get out of Rush's reach in my opinion. I don't love any of the options but someone has to win.

#2) Offensive Line
Tyler Smith was DOMINANT last night outside of the two penalties. The dude is still a raw prospect, but I was specifically watching all of his reps out there and he was blasting people out of the way in the run game and had nice, light feet and heavy hands in the pass game. I like the trajectory here and Dallas may have found a good one.

Additionally, Josh ball is really not very good. The technical term for his play last night is burnt toast. What a disappointing pick. I think there is a chance he is cut before game 1. I hated the pick from day one given his legal history so I am glad to see a guy like that go. Outside of that, not a whole lot else I could glean from the position group.

#3) Kicker is a Problem
The answer is not on the roster. Jerry needs to get a grip and find a vet that can give you league average play. Of course, there are another 2 kickers on the roster that didn't kick last night, but none of them have played meaningful NFL time.

I understand it was a preseason game, but 17 penalties is completely and utterly unacceptable. Do you think a Tom Landry coached team would routinely show up and post 10+ penalties a game? Not a chance. I do not know what it is going to take to fix this problem, but our guys see no issue committing a blatant penalty and throwing their arms up at the refs. I place this squarely on Jerry and the culture he has developed around this organization. Something has got to give, but Dallas will not win anything if they keep it up with sloppy play like this.
Thank you BSB, great for people like me who are looking for every bit of first hand content that I can find right now.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for the analysis.
On the broadcast with the Dallas announcers. They said it was not a hold on Smith on his 2nd one.
The refs did not call at least 5 on the Broncos. Then again GB, Denver, SF, Pittsburgh for the past 40 years been getting away with holding calls if not longer. That trend continues.

links18

Reaction score
"#3) Kicker is a Problem
The answer is not on the roster. Jerry needs to get a grip and find a vet that can give you league average play. Of course, there are another 2 kickers on the roster that didn't kick last night, but none of them have played meaningful NFL time."

Wait, how many kickers are on the roster right now? Still, you discerned all this from last night?

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thank you BSB, great for people like me who are looking for every bit of first hand content that I can find right now.

As a Dallas -> Denver transplant I always try to see the boys when they come to Mile High. Glad that my rudimentary takes on the game are helpful!

"#3) Kicker is a Problem
The answer is not on the roster. Jerry needs to get a grip and find a vet that can give you league average play. Of course, there are another 2 kickers on the roster that didn't kick last night, but none of them have played meaningful NFL time."

Wait, how many kickers are on the roster right now? Still, you discerned all this from last night?

Brother, when all 4 of your kickers are NFL flameouts, CFL journey men, or UDFAs you have a problem. Word out of training camp is that none of them have looked good either. Lirim is the most proven kicker on the roster and his kick looked more like a high school attempt at a field goal way out of his range than a legit NFL attempt. I am not saying one of them does not take the reigns and own the job at some point, but given all of their histories they will likely be below average all season.

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thanks for the analysis.
On the broadcast with the Dallas announcers. They said it was not a hold on Smith on his 2nd one.
The refs did not call at least 5 on the Broncos. Then again GB, Denver, SF, Pittsburgh for the past 40 years been getting away with holding calls if not longer. That trend continues.

First flag was not a hold and just a pretty routine play using a linebacker's momentum to drive them to the ground and out of the play. It will get called every now and then but shouldn't have. Second call Tyler wasn't actually in terrible position but had definitely lost the rep. If he released the clamps we still would have picked up 3 or 4 on the rush so that was just a teachable moment. Very promising start IMO.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First flag was not a hold and just a pretty routine play using a linebacker's momentum to drive them to the ground and out of the play. It will get called every now and then but shouldn't have. Second call Tyler wasn't actually in terrible position but had definitely lost the rep. If he released the clamps we still would have picked up 3 or 4 on the rush so that was just a teachable moment. Very promising start IMO.

Thanks for the explanations, we need more of this on here. :thumbup:

Creeper

Reaction score
Tyler Smith has some exceptional tools but he will get called for holding at a record pace in the NFL if he does not keep his hands inside the shoulder pads. He is a very grabby offensive linemen. He seemed a little better last night than how he was in college but he still gets his hands too high and too far outside too often. I am sure they are working with him on the problem but if he does not correct it he will be Phil Pozderac 2.0.

Rush is going to look bad if he does not get good protection. He didn't last night. DiNucci looked way more elusive and extended a few plays that would have been sacks or incomplete passes with Rush in there.

The best thing about last night's game was they ran the football and stayed with it.

On the downside, I was not happy with what I saw of Wright and some of the other DBs. Wright looks like one of those CBs that can stay with receivers but never makes a play for the ball.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyler Smith has some exceptional tools but he will get called for holding at a record pace in the NFL if he does not keep his hands inside the shoulder pads. He is a very grabby offensive linemen. He seemed a little better last night than how he was in college but he still gets his hands too high and too far outside too often. I am sure they are working with him on the problem but if he does not correct it he will be Phil Pozderac 2.0.

Rush is going to look bad if he does not get good protection. He didn't last night. DiNucci looked way more elusive and extended a few plays that would have been sacks or incomplete passes with Rush in there.

The best thing about last night's game was they ran the football and stayed with it.

On the downside, I was not happy with what I saw of Wright and some of the other DBs. Wright looks like one of those CBs that can stay with receivers but never makes a play for the ball.

I think Wright is just too tall, as with the 6-5 or 6-6 CB they drafted some time ago, Patrick Walker or Watkins or something like that. Though I think he was a S.
I like the bigger DB's, but 6-1 or 6-2 is about the limit.
Wright did have a few decent plays not allowing first downs. Where he was just more physical than the receiver. But his down field coverage was not good at all.

I think being too tall, does not allow them to be fluid as to turning their hips, and recovering to keep them covered.
That is JMO, but will see how he does the next game. He may have some raw skills still. But a year on the PS is probably best, if they don't have enough roster spots to keep him. It could be a game of position numbers.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

#1) QB

#2) Offensive Line

#3) Kicker is a Problem

How many kicks did they attempt.

I only remember the long attempt where they later showed that the hold was bad.

GoldenR

Reaction score
Same old defense and coaching. I am actually in my garage rewatching some of the 1st half. I would pay $$ to ask our coaches and the Enos boys" Why when other teams need a first down, do our CB's play at the first down marker, then IMMEDIATELY start back pedaling at the snap?" Your 7 YARDS off the line of scrimmage when the opposing team needs 6!!!!!!!!!! Most of you that watch this team know exactly what I'm talking about. It's ALL the time!!!!!!!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

#1) QB

#2) Offensive Line

#3) Kicker is a Problem

This Team was DOA....

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
Thanks for the analysis.
Tell me this crew doesn’t have something against us, stupid head ref is always smirking at his staff before making our calls and the two smith calls took away from what was to be an amazing first game for the rookie

BleedSilverandBlue

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How many kicks did they attempt.

I only remember the long attempt where they later showed that the hold was bad.

Extra point and the 56 yarder. I was there live I couldn't see the hold so I have no idea if it was bad. If it was that makes sense, but Lirim hasn't been very good in practice ether. If you've been watching training camp coverage it has become glaringly obvious that kicker is a total mess at the moment.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Extra point and the 56 yarder. I was there live I couldn't see the hold so I have no idea if it was bad. If it was that makes sense, but Lirim hasn't been very good in practice ether. If you've been watching training camp coverage it has become glaringly obvious that kicker is a total mess at the moment.
The showed the zoom in shot of the hold and I thought the holder (Anger) was going to end up with a broken hand.
- The wet ball slipped and he was trying to get it lined up as the kickers foot was a few inches away.

One of the camp media guys said he charted Hajrullahu at 82% in camp.

Not great, but they do tend to attempt more long FGs in practice that they wouldn't attempt in games.

It was the other guy that was at less than 50%...

Adreme

Reaction score
It is simply too late to “find” a real kicker at this point. They are all on rosters already so you are left with those not good enough to be on the other 31 teams.