Price of Lumber

Hoofbite

Reaction score
What the hell happened to the price of lumber?

My dad was building a new patio roof with a fried of his and he said a single piece of OSB plywood is $45 to $50. Last year it was around $15. We've had some wind storms lately and one of my fences is absolutely on its last leg. Propped up on both sides. My neighbor offered to split the cost but she's getting quotes of $45/linear foot.

We need like 5-6 new posts and if we went with new build across that's like $2,000.

Not sure how influential, but a friend at work told me there was an anticipated surplus due to the pandemic starting last year. Lumber suppliers dialed production back thinking nobody would be building much. Instead, people went nuts and everyone on the planet decided to take the isolation time to remodel, build additions, build decks, etc. While there anticipated decrease in demand, demand actually increased and here we are with lumber prices 250%-300% what they were a year ago.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What the hell happened to the price of lumber?

My dad was building a new patio roof with a fried of his and he said a single piece of OSB plywood is $45 to $50. Last year it was around $15. We've had some wind storms lately and one of my fences is absolutely on its last leg. Propped up on both sides. My neighbor offered to split the cost but she's getting quotes of $45/linear foot.

We need like 5-6 new posts and if we went with new build across that's like $2,000.

Not sure how influential, but a friend at work told me there was an anticipated surplus due to the pandemic starting last year. Lumber suppliers dialed production back thinking nobody would be building much. Instead, people went nuts and everyone on the planet decided to take the isolation time to remodel, build additions, build decks, etc. While there anticipated decrease in demand, demand actually increased and here we are with lumber prices 250%-300% what they were a year ago.
Building supplies are insanely priced, but I drive a lumber truck, and last year there was a serious drop in business, due to the pandemic. In Manhattan job sites, they were only allowing very small crews to work, and some of my customers had to make appointments weeks in advance, just to be allowed to do their work.
Our company deals in hardwoods, like oak, maple, sapele, mahogany, ipe, cherry, etc., and I don't believe our prices jacked up much if at all, but it has been harder to find the lumber we need. We don't deal in building supplies, like pressure treated lumber or plywood, which is what's really getting ridiculously priced.
Hopefully the prices start coming back down, once things get back to a more normal state.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Building supplies are insanely priced, but I drive a lumber truck, and last year there was a serious drop in business, due to the pandemic. In Manhattan job sites, they were only allowing very small crews to work, and some of my customers had to make appointments weeks in advance, just to be allowed to do their work.
Our company deals in hardwoods, like oak, maple, sapele, mahogany, ipe, cherry, etc., and I don't believe our prices jacked up much if at all, but it has been harder to find the lumber we need. We don't deal in building supplies, like pressure treated lumber or plywood, which is what's really getting ridiculously priced.
Hopefully the prices start coming back down, once things get back to a more normal state.

Makes sense, but it's just insane. $45/sheet of OSB.

Probably doesn't help that I live in one of the fastest growing areas in the country. Thanks for the reply.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Makes sense, but it's just insane. $45/sheet of OSB.

Probably doesn't help that I live in one of the fastest growing areas in the country. Thanks for the reply.
I had one customer complaining about exactly the same thing, just a few weeks ago. Imagine being a roofer or contractor trying to justify your prices to customers. Imagine having given a quote on a big job before the prices skyrocketed! Now you have to explain why the cost is so much more than the quote, and why it's taking so much longer to finish the job...to someone who might be suffering their own lost income due to the pandemic.

What a ****show.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I had one customer complaining about exactly the same thing, just a few weeks ago. Imagine being a roofer or contractor trying to justify your prices to customers. Imagine having given a quote on a big job before the prices skyrocketed! Now you have to explain why the cost is so much more than the quote, and why it's taking so much longer to finish the job...to someone who might be suffering their own lost income due to the pandemic.

What a ****show.

Yeah, we have contractors around here who's projects have come to a screeching halt because they can't get lumber. Half-built homes are just sitting there waiting for supplies.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I live in Montana and a number of mills in our area, Idaho and in Canada have been working at reduced capacity. Although commerce with Canada continued through CoVid, it was generally at reduced capacity.

Couple these with record-breaking demands and it is no wonder prices are stupidly high.

Many economists predicted the prices should have started falling, but they haven't. There are probably many reasons for this - including outright price gouging.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yeah I’m torn man. I’ve been waiting to build a deck in my back yard. I have the money saved up for the lumber. I can still afford it even with the price increases. But part of me is like..... maybe I’ll wait to see if the prices go down.

it’s frustrating because I’ve been waiting like 4 years to do this until I was in financial position to justify the expenditure.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yeah I’m torn man. I’ve been waiting to build a deck in my back yard. I have the money saved up for the lumber. I can still afford it even with the price increases. But part of me is like..... maybe I’ll wait to see if the prices go down.

it’s frustrating because I’ve been waiting like 4 years to do this until I was in financial position to justify the expenditure.
If you're thinking about a deck right now at these prices, may I suggest you look into ipe decking. (Also called Ironwood, because it's so dense you can't even drive a nail or screw through it without drilling first.) It's gorgeous wood, and it'll outlast your house, with minimal maintenance. At what they're charging for pressure treated lumber these days, it might not cost much more, but it'd be worth every penny if you can afford it.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
If you're thinking about a deck right now at these prices, may I suggest you look into ipe decking. (Also called Ironwood, because it's so dense you can't even drive a nail or screw through it without drilling first.) It's gorgeous wood, and it'll outlast your house, with minimal maintenance. At what they're charging for pressure treated lumber these days, it might not cost much more, but it'd be worth every penny if you can afford it.

I’m going to check it out. Thanks man. I’ve thought about Trex given the price of pressure treated lumber nowadays.

However, I like the feel and warmth of real wood compared to trex. So this might be a better way to go.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I’m going to check it out. Thanks man. I’ve thought about Trex given the price of pressure treated lumber nowadays.

However, I like the feel and warmth of real wood compared to trex. So this might be a better way to go.
Trex is crap. It gets extremely bleached in the sun, from what I've seen, and it warps really badly too.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Ipe decking is slotted on the edges, so you fasten it from beneath. No screws or nails showing.
rrBz1Wu.jpg

HungryLion

Reaction score
Trex is crap. It gets extremely bleached in the sun, from what I've seen, and it warps really badly too.

This is good feedback to know. I’ve always preferred real wood anyway.

Or are you biased because you work in the lumber industry????

:laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This is good feedback to know. I’ve always preferred real wood anyway.

Or are you biased because you work in the lumber industry????

:laugh:
I'm biased, but not because I'm in the lumber business. I've seen a 4 x 4 piece of ipe that was part of a dock, soaking in the ocean for 10 years, and it wasn't even touched. I also saw a piece a customer uses as a target for his .22, and the bullets don't even go halfway in. And as you can see, it's a beautiful color, though sometimes it can have a greenish hue, which still looks nice, believe it or not.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
I live in Montana and a number of mills in our area, Idaho and in Canada have been working at reduced capacity. Although commerce with Canada continued through CoVid, it was generally at reduced capacity.

Couple these with record-breaking demands and it is no wonder prices are stupidly high.

Many economists predicted the prices should have started falling, but they haven't. There are probably many reasons for this - including outright price gouging.

Look at the stock prices of the top 5 lumber companies.
They are milking the supply.
Not building any new lumber mills.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have no experience with ironwood. We do have a trex deck and are happy with it. We've found it to be quite durable and essentially maintenance free. Admittedly, it doesn't look as good as real wood.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I have no experience with ironwood. We do have a trex deck and are happy with it. We've found it to be quite durable and essentially maintenance free. Admittedly, it doesn't look as good as real wood.
How long have you had it? From what I've seen, they tend to discolor in the sun, and unless they have supports very close together, they warp badly. Maybe they've improved their process. I hope you have really good luck with yours.
I don't have a problem with the look of them when they're in good shape, I've just never seen one that was more than around 7 years old that still looks good.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How long have you had it? From what I've seen, they tend to discolor in the sun, and unless they have supports very close together, they warp badly. Maybe they've improved their process. I hope you have really good luck with yours.
I don't have a problem with the look of them when they're in good shape, I've just never seen one that was more than around 7 years old that still looks good.
Had it about 3 years - no warping or discoloration yet. It's interesting that one of the marketing aspects of trex in our area is that it does not fade. Stands up to winter cold and snow as well as summer sunshine.

If we ever replace it, though, I am checking out the ironwood.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Had it about 3 years - no warping or discoloration yet. It's interesting that one of the marketing aspects of trex in our area is that it does not fade. Stands up to winter cold and snow as well as summer sunshine.

If we ever replace it, though, I am checking out the ironwood.
Good, I hope they improved it and yours lasts a long time!