Pro Football Focus break down Cowboys Draft

817Gill

Reaction score
Joseph wasn't a reach, he is a 1st rd talent that only slipped due to character concerns.
Don’t understand casual draft fans tearing this draft apart. Anyone who’s done their research knows Joseph was 3-5th ranked CB with late 1st-early 2nd round grade. Without character concerns, he’s probably selected around where Newsome was.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Watching the telecast it was mentioned that Dallas is trying to trade up. They just couldn't find a dance partner.

If a team would have traded with Dallas, Barmore or Moerhrig would have been selected.

They had a deal with the Jets but backed out after Tyson Campbell was selected by the Jags.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We lost 2 LB’s and LB is a core part of ST
I think we did pretty good Thursday and Saturday

We left a lot of meat on the bone Thursday. We should have made that trade with the Bears. That would have left with an extra 1st round pick next year plus plenty of ammo to move around this draft and draft the players we want rather the player that fall into our laps.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joseph wasn't a reach, he is a 1st rd talent that only slipped due to character concerns.

No, he slid due to consistency concerns. He never lived up to his measurables. PFF had him as the 69th ranked player which is basically a 3rd round grade. PFF grades are tied to consistency and effort as much as performance. Maybe Joseph steps up his game, but it sucks gambling he will with high second round pick when there are better football players on the board.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
No, he slid due to consistency concerns. He never lived up to his measurables. PFF had him as the 69th ranked player which is basically a 3rd round grade. PFF grades are tied to consistency and effort as much as performance. Maybe Joseph steps up his game, but it sucks gambling he will with high second round pick when there are better football players on the board.
People that actually scout and watch tape say he has 1st round tape.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People that actually scout and watch tape say he has 1st round tape.

People like who? I'm not arguing he doesn't have first round measurables and probably has impressive tape if you selectively use his best efforts. But he's not a first round pick for a reason.

conner01

Reaction score
We left a lot of meat on the bone Thursday. We should have made that trade with the Bears. That would have left with an extra 1st round pick next year plus plenty of ammo to move around this draft and draft the players we want rather the player that fall into our laps.
It’s not like we really gained from the extra picks
We got some guys I like but few I really love
I wanted to go all in to add another second but we sit back
Maybe they got good players
Maybe all the ratings were wrong
I sure hope they are right because we could have had 5 really good players and half of these won’t see the field this year and some may never

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s not like we really gained from the extra picks
We got some guys I like but few I really love
I wanted to go all in to add another second but we sit back
Maybe they got good players
Maybe all the ratings were wrong
I sure hope they are right because we could have had 5 really good players and half of these won’t see the field this year and some may never

Thats the impact of not having a real dedicated GM. Maybe someone good falls into our laps..........but usually doesn't.

conner01

Reaction score
Thats the impact of not having a real dedicated GM. Maybe someone good falls into our laps..........but usually doesn't.
What we need is a defensive identity like Steelers and ravens have
Not necessarily their system but a system that you stick with no matter who is HC or DC
And identity that allows the scouts to build and not be looking for different types of players every few years to match who ever they hire

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What we need is a defensive identity like Steelers and ravens have
Not necessarily their system but a system that you stick with no matter who is HC or DC
And identity that allows the scouts to build and not be looking for different types of players every few years to match who ever they hire

Bingo. When you have an identity, its easier to draft players who fit your teams system. We have neither and that's why there is no rhyme or reason to our drafts.

Aven8

Reaction score
They selected six straight defensive players. There's no question they were forcing picks.

Did we have a choice on that side? They brought in crap in FA and the talent is bad currently.

ESisback

Reaction score
Cliffnotes:

- Gave us a B grade
- Kelvin Joseph has talent, good project, some off-field issues
- Dallas drafted for good players, risk is that they weren't shy for character issues which is a risk
- Parsons was best LB we scouted, #9 on the big board
- Really liked how we upped the ante especially within run defense and putting some rigor behind it
- Osa didn't lose many wrestling matches once he got in high school so watch out 72 year-old Ric Flair
- Looks like a logjam at linebacker, what happens there?
- Feels like they missed out on the top corners and went with quantity, let's see how it goes
- Draft will be more of a slam dunk if our picks work out (shocking!)

They didn’t ask CowboyRoy, so they’re just stupid!

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
No doubt Joseph is a feast or famine pick, which I'm fine with....although Id be skeptical of this guy after handing over a signing bonus.

If he starts getting hurt....forget it. He won't deal w rehab.

Thing is, I don't think Dallas ever discounts players for things like off field issues or chronic injury.

They seemed to be all over him and were even trying to deal up to do it while there were some VERY good players left on the board.

My initial thought was they forced the pick after missing on a CB Thursday.

I think there's a good chance that Joseph will be focused in his first year because he's heard all the talk about him and will want to prove differently. I think if we have a bad season, though, he's the type of player who will lose interest and focus more on his other interests.

I also think after his first year, as long as the team is good that year, is when his focus will drift ... unless he has a poor season and feels he has to prove himself.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am glad you are here. When was your first scouting success with any NFL team? Who was it and how did you get them to pull the trigger?

You are correct. I have no NFL experience or "expertise". I'll have to become rich drilling holes in the land first. If I strike enough oil, THEN I'll have expertise and can make these personnel decisions. Right clown?

I bet even a confused moron like you could buy a copy of Kiper's draft guide and do better than the Jones boys.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Don’t understand casual draft fans tearing this draft apart. Anyone who’s done their research knows Joseph was 3-5th ranked CB with late 1st-early 2nd round grade. Without character concerns, he’s probably selected around where Newsome was.
He was probably the last plug and play day 1 starter. He actually is the better athlete than all the top 3 corners, just lacks experience. Anyone who has followed the process knows Joseph is one of the best prospects at the position who has 1st rd talent but only fell cause of his character.