CFZ Proactive vs Reactive

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know being proactive with problems is better than waiting until your choices are limited, then having to react from a weakened position.

I know our front office is saying they want to wait before signing a WR to see how the young players do. I understand wanting to see how the kids progress. But what happens if they don’t pan out but you wait until the regular season starts to find out? And if we sign a veteran WR now why would that in any way stunt the development of the young WRs?

This sounds a lot like the beginning of the 2018 season. We had a bunch of new receivers (Gallup was one of them) and the FO waited until 7 games into the season before admitting we didn’t have enough at WR. Which then led to Jerry’s reactive move to acquire Amari Cooper at the cost of a #1 pick.

Waiting until the house is on fire is never a good strategy. All the firemen I know say most fires are prevented before they ever start.

Being proactive doesn’t mean you aren’t developing your young talent too. We should be able to walk and chew gum.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We all know being proactive with problems is better than waiting until your choices are limited, then having to react from a weakened position.

I know our front office is saying they want to wait before signing a WR to see how the young players do. I understand wanting to see how the kids progress. But what happens if they don’t pan out but you wait until the regular season starts to find out? And if we sign a veteran WR now why would that in any way stunt the development of the young WRs?

This sounds a lot like the beginning of the 2018 season. We had a bunch of new receivers (Gallup was one of them) and the FO waited until 7 games into the season before admitting we didn’t have enough at WR. Which then led to Jerry’s reactive move to acquire Amari Cooper at the cost of a #1 pick.

Waiting until the house is on fire is never a good strategy. All the firemen I know say most fires are prevented before they ever start.

Being proactive doesn’t mean you aren’t developing your young talent too. We should be able to walk and chew gum.
Most house fires happen without warning....

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Personally, I don't understand what made James Washington so great and why Dallas should be deathly scared of being short on WRs now.

Dude has broken 400 yards/season 1 year. 30 yards/week is what that comes down to and now Dallas is dire straights?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally, I don't understand what made James Washington so great and why Dallas should be deathly scared of being short on WRs now.

Dude has broken 400 yards/season 1 year. 30 yards/week is what that comes down to and now Dallas is dire straights?
I agree with you that JW was nothing special. My concern is- other than Gallup and Lamb, we aren’t certain any of the new/young guys will be good enough to be competent NFL starters in Sept. And we know Gallup won’t be ready until perhaps October.

Most of these young guys are certain to be on the roster but asking them to be a reliable target for Dak on a critical 3rd and 7 vs TB in the season opener- not sure that’s a good idea.

817Gill

Reaction score
I understand, but I think it’s a bit premature to shape the situation that way. My thoughts on WR depth and OT depth are the exact same:

Give the young guys the first half or so of camp including a preseason game and joint practice and see what they can do. If they show you enough then you roll with them, if not you bring in a vet for the last few weeks of camp and go into the season. These vets do not need a full camp nor do they want one, they’ll be able to transition just fine in late August.

I do get that maybe they stunt the young player growth in-season. But there’s really no young players that have been invested in enough for that to be a concern. Do 5th rounders Simi Fehoko and Matt Waletzko pose enough of an investment that I worry about growth being stunted in-season? No not at all, these guys won’t even be playing if the Cowboys depth chart works the way we believe. The guys like Jalen Tolbert who are higher picks will play regardless, I don’t think we should fret over late round pick development in-season especially when they weren’t even penciled in to play a lot.

As of right now I have no issue waiting. You get to the last few weeks and you’re not seeing enough from your WR’s or OT’s then you go grab an Emmanuel Sanders or Sam Tevi. There’s no rush to sign vets who don’t even want to be in TC when you could give these developmental offseason reps to young guys.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand, but I think it’s a bit premature to shape the situation that way. My thoughts on WR depth and OT depth are the exact same:

Give the young guys the first half or so of camp including a preseason game and joint practice and see what they can do. If they show you enough then you roll with them, if not you bring in a vet for the last few weeks of camp and go into the season. These vets do not need a full camp nor do they want one, they’ll be able to transition just fine in late August.

I do get that maybe they stunt the young player growth in-season. But there’s really no young players that have been invested in enough for that to be a concern. Do 5th rounders Simi Fehoko and Matt Waletzko pose enough of an investment that I worry about growth being stunted in-season? No not at all, these guys won’t even be playing if the Cowboys depth chart works the way we believe. The guys like Jalen Tolbert who are higher picks will play regardless, I don’t think we should fret over late round pick development in-season especially when they weren’t even penciled in to play a lot.

As of right now I have no issue waiting. You get to the last few weeks and you’re not seeing enough from your WR’s or OT’s then you go grab an Emmanuel Sanders or Sam Tevi. There’s no rush to sign vets who don’t even want to be in TC when you could give these developmental offseason reps to young guys.
Well reasoned post. :thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Let this dysfunctional ownership dig their own grave. Lol

75boyz

Reaction score
McClay probably already identifies personnel shortcomings with a proactive approach and brings the info to Jerry and Stephen.

Now what happens between Father and Son and their decision making process before these personnel deficiencies becoming overwhelmingly obvious is anyone's guess.

This is one of the more frustrating mysteries surrounding how the Joneses attempt to do roster building.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McClay probably already identifies personnel shortcomings with a proactive approach and brings the info to Jerry and Stephen.

Now what happens between Father and Son and their decision making process before these personnel deficiencies becoming overwhelmingly obvious is anyone's guess.

This is one of the more frustrating mysteries surrounding how the Joneses attempt to do roster building.
I have no doubt McClay has done his homework. He is basically doing GM duties in most ways when it comes to scouting, film study and roster choices. JJ just makes the final decision then does the interviews, lol.

Flamma

Reaction score

The Cowboys are almost always reactive, you know that. That's their process. But I do agree with you. The thing is, I think this group of WRs are better than the 2018 bunch we opened up with. But lets face it, most of this is going to hinge on how well our OL pass blocks. If Dak is getting pressured quickly, I don't believe he's worked long enough with these WRs to be able to handle that. I'm not bashing Dak, but the QBs of today can't handle pressure like years ago. Years ago you didn't get 3 seconds in the pocket. Even Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes look bad under pressure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cmon! Are you really telling us how you dont understand how signing a veteran would stunt the growth of a young player?

What is it about veteran players that nobody wants with you people?

Did Barr change your confidence? LOL

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cmon! Are you really telling us how you dont understand how signing a veteran would stunt the growth of a young player?

What is it about veteran players that nobody wants with you people?

Did Barr change your confidence? LOL
Did you feel that way when James Washington was out there? Was he stunting their growth? All I’m saying is we can do both- sign a FA WR AND develop the youngsters.

Roy…Are you saying we can’t do both? Are you saying the only way we can develop young WRs is by not having veterans along with them? We can’t walk and chew gum, lol?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Did you feel that way when James Washington was out there? Was he stunting their growth? All I’m saying is we can do both- sign a FA WR AND develop the youngsters.

Roy…Are you saying we can’t do both? Are you saying the only way we can develop young WRs is by not having veterans along with them? We can’t walk and chew gum, lol?

IM saying that some of these young guys have been balling. Watching Washington in camp he seemed like he was outclassed a bit already.

How many great pass catchers does an offense need? Typically its 2.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IM saying that some of these young guys have been balling. Watching Washington in camp he seemed like he was outclassed a bit already.

How many great pass catchers does an offense need? Typically its 2.
You need at least 4 guys who are starter quality. Plus are we banking on not a single one of these guys not pulling a hammy or rolling an ankle?

Last year, we needed Cooper, Lamb, Gallup and Wilson. When either Gallup or Coop were out, Wilson filled the void. We do not currently have that level of depth. I’m all for finding out what these young guys are capable of. But I’m also saying we can’t wait until September to realize they can’t handle the live bullets of the regular season.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you that JW was nothing special. My concern is- other than Gallup and Lamb, we aren’t certain any of the new/young guys will be good enough to be competent NFL starters in Sept. And we know Gallup won’t be ready until perhaps October.

Most of these young guys are certain to be on the roster but asking them to be a reliable target for Dak on a critical 3rd and 7 vs TB in the season opener- not sure that’s a good idea.
So, what would you do? You're a former school administrator, I'm sure you never received criticism, so....how would you have handled this situation? You bring up many concerns with our front office and like people always say....don't bring me problems, bring me solutions.
I don't have any solutions, so I can't answer this question.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I’d go with the young guys for now. If, for some reason they’re not playing well after the first couple of preseason games, you can do something at that point. Tolbert, I expect to be very good. Much better than Washington, for sure. Houston? I have no idea but if he’s playing well so far, I don’t blame them for taking a look.

There aren’t any FA WR’s out there that I like enough to spend the money on.

I think the team is handling it right.