Projected Contract for Dak - 6 years, $171M with $45M SB, and $90M Guaranteed

Jumbo075

Reaction score
At the minimum, Dak will make $28M per season. He's done more than Matthew Stafford, Jimmy Garoppolo, and Kirk Cousins, and deserves to be better paid than any of those players. Let's say, 6 years, 171M - an average of $28.5M, with a $45M signing bonus, and $90M guaranteed over the first 3 seasons.

2019 - $45M signing bonus, $3M salary = $12M Salary CAP hit - $90M Dead Money
2020 - $20M Restructure Bonus, $1M salary = $14M Salary CAP hit - $78M Dead Money
2021 - $21M Salary = $34M Salary CAP hit - $64M Dead Money
2022 - $23M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $30M Dead Money - 4th year out, save $6M against CAP
2023 - $23M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $17M Dead Money - 5th year out, save $19M against CAP
2024 - $32M Salary = $36M Salary CAP hit - $4M Dead Money - 6th year out, save $32M against CAP

DAK gets paid $69M over first two seasons - an average of $34.5M per season. He is guaranteed $90M over first 3 seasons, an average of $30M per season. The Cowboys defer the CAP hits on Dak for years 1 & 2 of the contract, but can decide to eat the 3rd year, and after that, they can actually save money against the CAP by cutting Dak.

Even at a CAP hit of $36M per season, the Salary CAP is expected to be around $220M in 2022, so that is only 16% of the overall Salary CAP - which is about right for a top QB. If Dak fails to continue to improve, then the Cowboys have an out in Year 4. But if he wins a Super Bowl or two over the next 6 years, while the top QB contracts rise to about $45M per season, the Cowboys will have made a bargain deal.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
At those numbers just franchise him and start preparing for the next guy.

The going rate was set a year ago when Cousins and Garappolo signed contracts for $27M and $27.5M per season. Both of them haven't accomplised as much as Dak has in his career. Add a year of inflation, and $28.5M per season is a reasonable figure for an unproven young QB. I'm not saying I like it. I'm saying that $28.5M per season is the market rate.

The Cowboys are going to have to commit to Dak for at least 3 more seasons. They don't have a plan B right now. And the longer they wait to lock him up long term, the higher the price is going to be.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The going rate was set a year ago when Cousins and Garappolo signed contracts for $27M and $27.5M per season. Both of them haven't accomplised as much as Dak has in his career. Add a year of inflation, and $28.5M per season is a reasonable figure for an unproven young QB. I'm not saying I like it. I'm saying that $28.5M per season is the market rate.

The Cowboys are going to have to commit to Dak for at least 3 more seasons. They don't have a plan B right now. And the longer they wait to lock him up long term, the higher the price is going to be.
Yeah it makes no sense to waste prime years because you don’t want to pay Dak.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
He's not worth that type of money. I rather go through pains of finding a new QB then to be stuck with an "average, but paid like I'm an elite" QB

When the top QB's are making $45M per season, and Dak is still being paid $23M salary, it will seem like a huge bargain, and no one will be thinking that Dak is being paid like an "elite" QB.

Eanwen

Reaction score

Personally I want the Cowboys to wait until after this season to determine if they want to sign Dak long term, but if I was Dak I'd look at these contracts and think "I'm worth more than these stiffs".