Twitter: Projected Franchise Tag for Dak: 33.4m

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Not at all. His value can’t go down it can only go up from here. A successful playoff run won’t increase his value?

What might a failure to make the playoffs and a New Coaching Staff bring? I mean, I don't know but I know this. Nothing is guaranteed. Anything can happen and sometimes, it does.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Huh?

If he signed today for $100M he gets an additional $100M on top of the $2M he gets this season. He signs for $100M after the season? He gets the $100M with the $2M he already got for this season.

There's nothing to make up.

And if he signed prior this season he would have gotten $30 plus million for this season, not $2 million. That is $30 million he will lose for this season.

You are assuming he would still be making $2 million this year if he signed a new deal, I doubt that would be the case.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But I thought everyone said Dak was not greedy and is a leader and won’t try to milk every dollar and strap the Cowboys because he wants to win championships

LOL

What the hell does this have to do with franchise tag? ...... Do you not understand what that means?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
And if he signed prior this season he would have gotten $30 plus million for this season, not $2 million. That is $30 million he will lose for this season.

You are assuming he would still be making $2 million this year if he signed a new deal, I doubt that would be the case.
No, it's an extension not a signing. He wouldn't have made $30M.

It's like I said, he doesn't lose out on anything.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No, it's an extension not a signing. He wouldn't have made $30M.

It's like I said, he doesn't lose out on anything.

I am just saying if I was him and his agent, it would have voided this year and replaced it with something more in line with my worth.

No way would I have played for $2 million this season when scrubs are making $17 million-plus.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
That isn't how the extension works. The new deal is added onto to the end of this season. He is making the same salary for 2019 whether he signs or not. He isn't losing $32 million for 2019. However there is still an injury concern.

Even if he were losing $32 million, your calculation isn't taking into account the back end of the deal. Dak could easily could be losing more than $32 million by signing a seven year deal, when the cap will likely explode with the new cba next season.

Really? That wouldn’t make sense to me. So if he signed in July he would have still made 2M this year?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I'd rather Dallas gets Dak signed before the offseason and use the franchise tag on Amari Cooper if they have to.

Regardless, around $33 million per year is probably what Prescott's new deal is going to be worth anyway.

Now, I'll duck and get out of here...........
You don’t have to duck because I want him to get paid. It seems once you start making big money a lot more fans expect better play and seem to mention bs more. On that front I can’t wait till Dak gets paid and folks treat him like they like to yap about him as some top qb.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
On top of that, any Agent with an IQ above 10 is watching Dak elevate his play this season and sees that Dak's value is going up, not down.

Same for Amari Cooper. These deals will get done, but just like Zeke's deal it will be creative and it will take some time.

They should have waited on Zeke.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What might a failure to make the playoffs and a New Coaching Staff bring? I mean, I don't know but I know this. Nothing is guaranteed. Anything can happen and sometimes, it does.
If the above happens...I think his value stays the same. I don’t see a scenario where he goes lower than his floor unless he just flat out sucks. And at that point they probably won’t want to sign him.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Why would they need to use an exclusive franchise tag?

You use the exclusive tag so nobody can sign him to an offer sheet.

If they signed him to a non-exclusive, somebody could sign him to an offer sheet and Dallas could either match or let him walk and get 2 first round picks. Problem is that you dont know if the team will poison pill the offer sheet to keep you from matching.

For example, say a team that has a really good defense but no legit QB, like the Bears...…….decide to give Dak an offer sheet that says if he plays more than 3 games in the state of Texas, he gets a $200 million dollar bonus in addition to his contract. Obviously, Dallas could not match that and would have to take the first round picks, which would probably be low first round picks since the Bears are a pretty good team.

That is why you use the exclusive tag, it prevents teams from doing something just like this. While poison pills are discouraged by the league, the owners never passed a law forbidding it. So yeah, its a total dick move to do it, but its still allowed.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd rather Dallas gets Dak signed before the offseason and use the franchise tag on Amari Cooper if they have to.

Regardless, around $33 million per year is probably what Prescott's new deal is going to be worth anyway.

Now, I'll duck and get out of here...........

I think that's probably around what the Cowboys are offering and Dak's team is asking for 35 million. I don't think they are that far apart.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If the above happens...I think his value stays the same. I don’t see a scenario where he goes lower than his floor unless he just flat out sucks. And at that point they probably won’t want to sign him.

Me to and it wouldn't be 30 that I think he would see on the market. The problem here is not the Cowboys offer IMO. I think it's Dak and his agent. His agent does his business by signing his players to the highest paid contracts. That's kinda his calling card. I think Dak has a good offer in front of him but it's not a record deal. That's why I don't see this thing getting done till the off season. JMO

Flamma

Reaction score
You use the exclusive tag so nobody can sign him to an offer sheet.

If they signed him to a non-exclusive, somebody could sign him to an offer sheet and Dallas could either match or let him walk and get 2 first round picks. Problem is that you dont know if the team will poison pill the offer sheet to keep you from matching.

For example, say a team that has a really good defense but no legit QB, like the Bears...…….decide to give Dak an offer sheet that says if he plays more than 3 games in the state of Texas, he gets a $200 million dollar bonus in addition to his contract. Obviously, Dallas could not match that and would have to take the first round picks, which would probably be low first round picks since the Bears are a pretty good team.

That is why you use the exclusive tag, it prevents teams from doing something just like this. While poison pills are discouraged by the league, the owners never passed a law forbidding it. So yeah, its a total dick move to do it, but its still allowed.

Thank you for this info. At first I thought you were going to tell me what I already know since I am aware of the franchise rules both exclusive and non. But I never knew about the poison pill. Very interesting. But IMO if you're going to franchise a player you should only do it if you'd be ok with the two first rounders instead of the player. Use exclusive if you're uncomfortable with that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Me to and it wouldn't be 30 that I think he would see on the market. The problem here is not the Cowboys offer IMO. I think it's Dak and his agent. His agent does his business by signing his players to the highest paid contracts. That's kinda his calling card. I think Dak has a good offer in front of him but it's not a record deal. That's why I don't see this thing getting done till the off season. JMO

Aye...I have to reserve judgement on that because if his money isn't guaranteed.....the deal is useless.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Neither is managing the Cap to sign players to reasonable team deals. Two sides to every story.

Except there's not a 2nd side to the 'Dak is greedy' narrative. You're right, management has an obligation to negotiate a deal that is most favorable to the club. That's not greed, either. For both sides, it's just a negotiation.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Aye...I have to reserve judgement on that because if his money isn't guaranteed.....the deal is useless.

The guaranteed money is a very big part of it but honestly, I don't see Jerry short changing Dak on the guaranteed money. This is about the years and the annual amount IMO.

zenmastersauce

Reaction score
Fine.

Just no high-dollar, longterm commitments for bus drivers please
And who are our options? Is there anyone we are expecting to come up in the draft at our spot on the level of Mahomes or Rodgers?