Twitter: Projected Franchise Tag for Dak: 33.4m

HungryLion

Reaction score
You use the exclusive tag so nobody can sign him to an offer sheet.

If they signed him to a non-exclusive, somebody could sign him to an offer sheet and Dallas could either match or let him walk and get 2 first round picks. Problem is that you dont know if the team will poison pill the offer sheet to keep you from matching.

For example, say a team that has a really good defense but no legit QB, like the Bears...…….decide to give Dak an offer sheet that says if he plays more than 3 games in the state of Texas, he gets a $200 million dollar bonus in addition to his contract. Obviously, Dallas could not match that and would have to take the first round picks, which would probably be low first round picks since the Bears are a pretty good team.

That is why you use the exclusive tag, it prevents teams from doing something just like this. While poison pills are discouraged by the league, the owners never passed a law forbidding it. So yeah, its a total dick move to do it, but its still allowed.

I thought the league created rules to prevent poison pills like that?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I am just saying if I was him and his agent, it would have voided this year and replaced it with something more in line with my worth.

No way would I have played for $2 million this season when scrubs are making $17 million-plus.

Agents and players can't void contracts. He had the option to play for more, he chose not to. That's on him.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I thought the league created rules to prevent poison pills like that?
https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/118967/inside-slant-reminder-on-poison-pills

New CBA language:

"No Offer Sheet may contain a Principal Term that would create rights or obligations for the Old Club that differ in any way (including but not limited to the amount of compensation that would be paid, the circumstances in which compensation would be guaranteed, or the circumstances in which other contractual rights would or would not vest) from the rights or obligations that such Principal Term would create for the Club extending the Offer Sheet (i.e., no 'poison pills')."

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you miss the Jets game? Did you see 31-3 against the Packers? The 10 point effort in New Orleans?

They've beaten teams that are 7-23.

But he's no 1 in QBR baby.......:muttley:...Skip Bayless, we are not worthy baby!!!!!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you miss the Jets game? Did you see 31-3 against the Packers? The 10 point effort in New Orleans?

They've beaten teams that are 7-23.

Did you miss that both Dak and the Cowboys are 3rd in the NFL in passing yardage? That doesn't happen when only "driving the bus".

Even so, I didn't say there weren't bumps in the road, but Dak threw for 463 yards against the Packers, and 278 against the Jets, so it's not at all accurate to suggest he was only "driving the bus". He made a few bad decisions against the Packers, but it wasn't from being passive and handing the ball off and making the easy throws. Against the Jets Dak took a beating due to poor blocking, and frankly he held up pretty admirably. Had the defense not made a very ordinary Sam Darnold look like an All-Pro the outcome would have been different.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did you miss that both Dak and the Cowboys are 3rd in the NFL in passing yardage? That doesn't happen when only "driving the bus".

Even so, I didn't say there weren't bumps in the road, but Dak threw for 463 yards against the Packers, and 278 against the Jets, so it's not at all accurate to suggest he was only "driving the bus". He made a few bad decisions against the Packers, but it wasn't from being passive and handing the ball off and making the easy throws. Against the Jets Dak took a beating due to poor blocking, and frankly he held up pretty admirably. Had the defense not made a very ordinary Sam Darnold look like an All-Pro the outcome would have been different.

In ( View below photo) TIME....

miniature-garbage-can-with-trash_grande.jpeg

Flamma

Reaction score
And if he signed prior this season he would have gotten $30 plus million for this season, not $2 million. That is $30 million he will lose for this season.

You are assuming he would still be making $2 million this year if he signed a new deal, I doubt that would be the case.

As far as I know he would still be making 2 Mil or whatever his contract says. No years are voided, they are extended. So his extension would start nest year. This season he would get 2 Mil plus the signing bonus. That's how I understand it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What might a failure to make the playoffs and a New Coaching Staff bring? I mean, I don't know but I know this. Nothing is guaranteed. Anything can happen and sometimes, it does.

You sound like a scared little Jerry Jones with that comment.

It would be pretty simple to me. I do a coaching search and try to sign one of the best veteran coaches in the NFL like Payton or I go get a young up and coming coach or a stud from the college ranks. Best coach for the job, period.

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
Increase it to what? He was already demanding the highest salary of any QB in the league.

The salary he was looking to get is what a Super Bowl winning QB would want. The best he can do is win the Super Bowl and just make it an easier pill to swallow.
Where did you get the "highest paid" thing from? Dak him self denied that and most reports I've read said that it's about length of the deal not the money.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You sound like a scared little Jerry Jones with that comment.

It would be pretty simple to me. I do a coaching search and try to sign one of the best veteran coaches in the NFL like Payton or I go get a young up and coming coach or a stud from the college ranks. Best coach for the job, period.

Nobody cares what you think Roy and this discussion, nor that comment, are about Coaching. Go back to sleep.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Where did you get the "highest paid" thing from? Dak him self denied that and most reports I've read said that it's about length of the deal not the money.

His agent said that if they were going to sign a longer term deal, that they would need to be paid more. That's where the 40 comes from, I believe.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Nobody cares what you think Roy and this discussion, nor that comment, are about Coaching. Go back to sleep.

LOL...…….My likes are at about 62% these days and your flirting around 31%. And although I care nothing for likes it just proves another one of your stupid comments false.

Looks like people care and agree a lot more about my comments then yours troll. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL...…….My likes are at about 62% these days and your flirting around 31%. And although I care nothing for likes it just proves another one of your stupid comments false.

Looks like people care and agree a lot more about my comments then yours troll. :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Again, nobody cares Roy. Put me on ignore like you've threatened so many times and stop crying all the time. The thread is not about Coaching.

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
I'm confused as to why you are laughing, you are not on Jone's team and they do not loath him as you have shown to(did he steal your girl?). If he holds out they will cave like they did with Zeke, that would be smart business on his part.