Projecting Dak's New Deal

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
lol...and if the NFL doesn't get it's own house in order, a $20 + million contract will start to bankrupt teams. This was a pretty good season, but turning games around at the whim of an official is NOT football.
No sure what you are talking about.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good points. If I was Dak I would bet on myself go maybe 3-4 years and really hold the Cowboys for a kings random. Kirk Cousins getting 28mil no one bats an eye

Agree......In fact, I'm not sure I'd even worry about a 2019 deal if it was me. Play out 2019 and if we again make the playoffs, I have two sweet options. Tag in the range of $30M or $30m is now the floor for a long-term deal.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Your guesses as to what would happen and who benefits from who more couldn't be further from the truth.

Hopefully you'll learn.

You’re telling me Zeke relies on Dak?

No way bro. Look. I might be going a bit too far when I said Dak relies on Zeke, especially as of lately because Dak has improved and even showed in that Giants game that he’s capable of playing without him.

But cmon man. We cannot ignore the fact that they rely on each other. More Dak relying on Zeke but nonetheless...

May I add that you guys are making me seem like o hate Dak? Lmao I defend the dude as many times as you guys. Look at my signature “quote” or whatever you wanna call it. I’d love to keep him and I love the guy but let’s not make up stupid stuff like that. Stuff like that is what makes those Dak Haters hate us so much.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

No way bro. Look. I might be going a bit too far when I said Dak relies on Zeke, especially as of lately because Dak has improved and even showed in that Giants game that he’s capable of playing without him.

But cmon man. We cannot ignore the fact that they rely on each other. More Dak relying on Zeke but nonetheless...

May I add that you guys are making me seem like o hate Dak? Lmao I defend the dude as many times as you guys. Look at my signature “quote” or whatever you wanna call it. I’d love to keep him and I love the guy but let’s not make up stupid stuff like that. Stuff like that is what makes those Dak Haters hate us so much.

It's actually very much true that Zeke relies more on Dak than vice versa.

Dak averages more yards per attempt over the last three seasons with Zeke off the field, than on the field.
The Cowboys offense averages more yards per play with Zeke off the field than on the field.

So along with it just being nature of the beast that the RB relies on the QB 10x more than the contra, it's even more so when you take into account Dak's game steps up when Zeke isnt on the field.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Doesnt really matter if Dallas over pays dak by a lot. They wouldnt use the extra money to build up the team anyway.

DanA

Reaction score
Is there a bet to be made here?

You think the ceiling is $23.3M a season.
I'm willing to bet he easily gets more than that.

Yep, as long as the deal inclusive of this season IMO that’s the ceiling. I’ll hapily make that bet.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yep, as long as the deal inclusive of this season IMO that’s the ceiling. I’ll hapily make that bet.

So you're saying it would actually be only sign a 5 yr extension?
Ahh that's not remotely the same.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Yeah, Dak doesnt rely on Zeke at all.

"Cowboys yards per pass attempt with Zeke on the field over the last three seasons: 7.6

Cowboys yards per pass attempt without Zeke on the field over last three seasons: 7.56

Explosive pass % by year
2016: Zeke on- 16.5% Zeke off- 14.1%
2017: Zeke on- 9.4% Zeke off- 12.9%
2018: Zeke on 12.8% Zeke off- 16.8%

Zeke actually has zero impact on Dak's passing or the Cowboys passing game as a whole."

CCBoy

Reaction score
No sure what you are talking about.
Biased referees blatantly miscalling plays on the field. That, with non-uniform policies directed at certain players and teams.

$20 million a year contracts, until just recently, was almost an albatross for a team in MLB.

If fans get fed up with what is being presented as football today, extensive contracts, such as being talked about for Dak Prescott...could become albatrosses as well. The NBA has it's own set of team limiters and influences as well, as to what markets can even become involved in a realistic playoff picture. Players are doing their own types of shaping team rosters...among top dollar players.

That is a possible end result if people are truly watering the fan's role in a sport. Football as well...

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Been saying all alone, I expect his deal to come in around $25M. What's interesting is 2-3 years from now, his deal could actually be a bargain based on the early projection of Goff, Wilson and Mahomes deals. Word is either one could sign deals close to $40M per year within the next couple years.

Have been thinking Prescott's agent will start at a Romo type contract, in the $22 million per year range, then ratchet up for escalating cap dollars since 2013 when it was signed and QB's who have recently signed an extension. Say about $27-28 mill/year. That oughta create some excitement and drama

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Biased referees blatantly miscalling plays on the field. That, with non-uniform policies directed at certain players and teams.

$20 million a year contracts, until just recently, was almost an albatross for a team in MLB.

If fans get fed up with what is being presented as football today, extensive contracts, such as being talked about for Dak Prescott...could become albatrosses as well. The NBA has it's own set of team limiters and influences as well, as to what markets can even become involved in a realistic playoff picture. Players are doing their own types of shaping team rosters...among top dollar players.

That is a possible end result if people are truly watering the fan's role in a sport. Football as well...
I don’t buy the conspiracy theories. Referees are humans and make mistakes. Plus, the Dallas Cowboys are the most fan favorite team in the NFL and we don’t get a commiserate amount of calls your theory would suggest.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I don’t buy the conspiracy theories. Referees are humans and make mistakes. Plus, the Dallas Cowboys are the most fan favorite team in the NFL and we don’t get a commiserate amount of calls your theory would suggest.

You didn't understand the first point of discussion...alright.

No conspiracy EXCEPT by high dollar NBA players recruiting other players to accept a deal with a team that THEY are attempting to recruit for. Such as Los Angeles Lakers, right now...players not on speaking terms clubbing around the prospect of joining up and signing with a specific team.

I was pointing towards impact of high dollar and long contracts in a sports industry when funds dry up some.

Human? How about the Dez catch now? What about the game changing call against New Orleans...minor drama?

Does a referee joke seem at all out of place right now?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
YOU ARE INSANE :lmao2:

Trade ZEKE? What happened last time we didn't have Zeke (besides Week 17)? Dak fell apart. Dak needs Zeke or at least a good running game in order to get things going. There is NOOOO way I trade Zeke for ANYTHING. I doubt we'd even be in the playoffs without him! I kinda saw your point before about Dak being a good solid QB and it being hard to replace him, but you are going WAY to far at this point. Dak needs Zeke. Not the other way around.

If they don't sign Dak, they won't be in that much trouble. The team is great as is (minus the HC). If they got a new HC like Belichick or McVay, and/or a new QB in the next year or 2 instead of signing an INSANE 30 mil contract, this team will be in a prime longer than 3-5 years.

Maybe you should go share your theories with another. I could really care less.

FYI.......Dak is 4-3 without Zeke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
People really aren't thinking if they believe Dak gets 30m a season. Do the math, that's 150m over 5-years. But right now we have Dak locked away for two-years as follows.
2019 - 800k
2020 - 26m (estimated franchise tag)
Total: 26.8m

So Dak is locked away for two years at 14.4m a season and there's very little he can do about it. For him to get his 30m a season as people are suggesting, on a 5-year contract, he needs to earn 123.2m for his last three years. That's 41.6m a season........not a realistic reflection of the market.

Kirk Cousins was a free agent that had been franchise twice. His situation is very different, he's negotiating with multiple teams, with no restrictions. If Dak demands ridiculous money, and Jerry doesn't pay, he can't go anywhere else for two, maybe three years, and risks a hell of a lot of money by waiting.

So Dak takes a discount, not for altruistic reasons, but because of the situation he is in. The reason Dak takes a discount are:
1. He can only negotiate with Dallas
2. A new contract removes the risk of playing without a long-term contract
3. Money has a time value. Paid today is worth more than paid in 2-3 years
4. Endorsements at Dallas are more than most other markets
5. Texas has no state tax

Dak gets at most 6-years 140m with 50m guaranteed. That's what peak Aaron Rogers would get if in Dak's situation. That works out to be 23.3m per season. Anything more and Dallas is getting massively fleeced.

You are making way too much sense. Unfortunately, Jerry is the GM and he overpays for everyone.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Yeah, Dak doesnt rely on Zeke at all.

"Cowboys yards per pass attempt with Zeke on the field over the last three seasons: 7.6

Cowboys yards per pass attempt without Zeke on the field over last three seasons: 7.56

Explosive pass % by year
2016: Zeke on- 16.5% Zeke off- 14.1%
2017: Zeke on- 9.4% Zeke off- 12.9%
2018: Zeke on 12.8% Zeke off- 16.8%

Zeke actually has zero impact on Dak's passing or the Cowboys passing game as a whole."

No offense, but those aren’t really good stats. They’re average, because not many QB’s play well without their RB’s, but for whoever it was that said they want to trade Zeke and how Dak doesn’t rely on Zeke was way too out there. I’m sorry but that’s just how it is.

Maybe you should go share your theories with another. I could really care less.

FYI.......Dak is 4-3 without Zeke.

How is that a good thing? Barely a winning record.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No offense, but those aren’t really good stats. They’re average, because not many QB’s play well without their RB’s, but for whoever it was that said they want to trade Zeke and how Dak doesn’t rely on Zeke was way too out there. I’m sorry but that’s just how it is.

I didnt say it was good but you said he fell apart. Another troll comment debunked.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Some of yall about to be mad...Instead of reacting...read the article...it's well balanced.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...with-the-Cowboys-at-retail-pricing-129015429/
Some may not like it, but I think this guy is right--5 years and 130 range--IF Dallas pulls the trigger this offseason.

They could let him play this year out and then decide what to do.
If he plays great, they will have saved 23 million this year but will probably give it back on the new, even bigger deal.
If he plays poorly, they'll save themselves from QB and cap hell.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

No offense, but you saying those aren't good stats doesnt mean those aren't good stats. Those are two of the best stats to measure the passing game performance.

I think you'll find that he's not out there at all, you just have to keep on digging into the stats and learning and you'll start to see.