Projecting Dak's New Deal

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Raiders have been rebuilding for years. And you did nothing but improve my case. They have all these weapons (in which I haven't heard of any of them from the Lions), yet they still didn't make the playoffs? Why? They. Paid. The. QB. Too. Much.

Like I said before, I want to keep Dak. I really do. But I look at these teams and can't help but feel like we'll be in the same situation if we give him 25 mil+. Like you said before, with Kitna coming in, Moore becoming the OC, and giving Dak, Amari, and even Gallup time to make chemistry during the offseason, he could very well be entering his prime years. But if he asks for that much money, his prime years won't last long without any offensive weapons or a good defense to help him. Look at Patrick Mahomes who fought very hard in the Championship game only to be let down by his defense. Twice. If Dallas can't pay the defense because the QB wanted extensive money, we'll look the same with a lesser explosive offense.

Lets just take a look at how far off your claim really is. This should make you feel much much better about signing Dak:

Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap (Projected) Cap Room

2019 $155,649,916 $201,777,592 $46,127,676
2020 $80,065,499 $200,000,000 $119,934,501
$51,566,398 $200,000,000 $148,433,602
2022 $39,531,000 $200,000,000 $160,469,000
2023 $37,250,000 $200,000,000 $162,750,000
2024 $14,000,000 $200,000,000 $186,000,000

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Lets just take a look at how far off your claim really is. This should make you feel much much better about signing Dak:

Year Total Liabilities Salary Cap (Projected) Cap Room

2019 $155,649,916 $201,777,592 $46,127,676
2020 $80,065,499 $200,000,000 $119,934,501
$51,566,398 $200,000,000 $148,433,602
2022 $39,531,000 $200,000,000 $160,469,000
2023 $37,250,000 $200,000,000 $162,750,000
2024 $14,000,000 $200,000,000 $186,000,000

It doesn’t. But I would like to know where you got this stat from?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It doesn’t. But I would like to know where you got this stat from?

You see quite clearly that in 2020 it jumps up to nearly 120 million in cap space? Now that will certainly dwindle when signing Lawrence and Dak, but you would still have well over 50 million available to sign guys like Cooper, Zeke, Bryon Jones. Then you have Jaylon Smith the only other big one coming up after that.

Dumping Lee and Williams will free up another 10 Million next season.

If that doesn't all make you feel better about the cap then you are just trolling. I have shown you quite clearly your folly. You were misinformed. Now that you have to real data its time to change your tune.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
You see quite clearly that in 2020 it jumps up to nearly 120 million in cap space? Now that will certainly dwindle when signing Lawrence and Dak, but you would still have well over 50 million available to sign guys like Cooper, Zeke, Bryon Jones. Then you have Jaylon Smith the only other big one coming up after that.

Dumping Lee and Williams will free up another 10 Million next season.

If that doesn't all make you feel better about the cap then you are just trolling. I have shown you quite clearly your folly. You were misinformed. Now that you have to real data its time to change your tune.

Note is says *projected*. That will not be our expected amount. Are you not aware of the other people we have to pay on defense and offense? Yes we may get Zeke and Cooper paid, but we have a lot of other people to pay and we are unsure of who we will sign or draft in the future. I’m not changing my tune because at the end of the day, 25m+ is still bad.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Note is says *projected*. That will not be our expected amount. Are you not aware of the other people we have to pay on defense and offense? Yes we may get Zeke and Cooper paid, but we have a lot of other people to pay and we are unsure of who we will sign or draft in the future. I’m not changing my tune because at the end of the day, 25m+ is still bad.

Ignorance is truly bliss then. Dak will earn every penny and be a bargain in the later years, just as Romo was. People said the same thing about Romo's contract.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Ignorance is truly bliss then. Dak will earn every penny and be a bargain in the later years, just as Romo was. People said the same thing about Romo's contract.

30 million is not a bargain but okay. We'll see how it goes if he gets a large contract. The same people standing by the contract will be crying out "Uncle! Uncle" because you will realize how bad of an idea it truly is.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Man, i started this thread and checked out. I knew that most wouldn't read the article and there's no objectivity from those who already don't like Dak. Most of them don't remember pre-Romo and think you can just easily draft your way out of having bad QB play. With Dak, we won't even be drafting high enough to do that take one top 10. We'd have to give up assets to move up there. I saw a fan on twitter say he shouldn't get anymore than 15M per. Seriously, that is the type of fans that the Cowboys have. Just ridiculous. I'd love to see yall take a hometown discount at your jobs because you've been there awhile.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
30 million is not a bargain but okay. We'll see how it goes if he gets a large contract. The same people standing by the contract will be crying out "Uncle! Uncle" because you will realize how bad of an idea it truly is.

I dont think 30 million is a bargain. I think 25 million is a bargain based on recent deals. All of them are stupid by the way and I think they are all a rip off. My dispute is with your claim that Dak's contract will hamstring this franchise. They are set up very well to pay Dak and everyone else going forward. The alternative is much less attractive.

Its the projected 20 million type contract for a RB in 2 years that I have the biggest issue with. For me personally, I let Zeke play out his 5 years, then franchise him twice after that. After 7 years he will be done and I would move on. I would also draft young backs in the next few years. I realize a lot of people wont agree with that view.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Man, i started this thread and checked out. I knew that most wouldn't read the article and there's no objectivity from those who already don't like Dak. Most of them don't remember pre-Romo and think you can just easily draft your way out of having bad QB play. With Dak, we won't even be drafting high enough to do that take one top 10. We'd have to give up assets to move up there. I saw a fan on twitter say he shouldn't get anymore than 15M per. Seriously, that is the type of fans that the Cowboys have. Just ridiculous. I'd love to see yall take a hometown discount at your jobs because you've been there awhile.

Frustrated Romo cry babies left over from a few years back. STill havent gotten over it. The better Dak does the more they rant because he proves them dead wrong.

Any unbiased Cowboys fan would be jumping for joy at getting this kid with a 4th round pick. A miracle if you will. Romo was the first miracle. What young QB's have had a better first 3 years than Dak since he has come into the NFL? Mahones one year? Maybe you could make a case for the Texans QB or the Cleveland QB?

sean10mm

Reaction score
Prescott and Romo both prove that having good QB play isn't sufficient. Their playoff performance is basically identical. Prescott has a losing record in the playoffs and never made it out of the divisional round, which Romo didn't do either. Both lost playoff games to Green Bay where they personally put up excellent numbers and it didn't matter in the final outcome. So far Dak has lost twice as many playoff games as he won... which is what Romo did. Their playoff passer ratings are within a couple points of each other.

I'm not really seeing a big win for fans of one over the other there.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Prescott and Romo both prove that having good QB play isn't sufficient. Their playoff performance is basically identical. Prescott has a losing record in the playoffs and never made it out of the divisional round, which Romo didn't do either. Both lost playoff games to Green Bay where they personally put up excellent numbers and it didn't matter in the final outcome. So far Dak has lost twice as many playoff games as he won... which is what Romo did. Their playoff passer ratings are within a couple points of each other.

I'm not really seeing a big win for fans of one over the other there.
Can you do worse tho? You can win with Dak. Defense has never held up its end of the bargain in the playoffs during the Romo or Prescott era, especially in those divisional round games.