CFZ Projecting the future of our OL

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It's pretty evident the Cowboys are in the midst of an Offensive Line rebuild. Travis Frederick was forced to retire, Collins/Connor Williams are playing elsewhere, Tyron lack of durability remains, where Zach Martin is so called the last man standing.

The Cowboy Front Office is aware of their aging OL and have spent draft capital for the positional group over the last few seasons:

Tyler Smith, McGovern, Ball, Biaz, Walesko, Farniok, Steele (UDFA).

LT-Tyler Smith. We have been told he is a Guard now, but our future starter at LT. Same thing we heard about Tyron as a rookie, once he gets his hands on you, it's over. Needs development, but he is the air apparent to Tyron Smith at this juncture.

RT-Steele, Ball, Walesko. The hope is Steele solidifies the starting position and one of Ball/Walesko becomes a quality swing tackle. Walesko reminds me of a young Doug Free,

G/C-this is where it gets sketchy. Once Martin ultimately retires, who mans the interior. Farnoik's draft profile, suggests he is the ideal backup, swing interior lineman. He probably replaces McGovern next season. In my opinion, don't think Tyler Biadasz is the answer at the Center position. Here is some notes about his scouting report:

He has issues winning when matched against power. Pass protection could be a concern, as NFL sub-rushers will feast on his lunging and average lateral quickness. Biadasz's skill level has been developed, so he could become an early starter with limited upside.

This sounds about right, pretty much how he has played on the NFL level. Struggles against power, with a lack of anchor.

Is Connor McGovern playing elsewhere next season after his rookie contract expires? Clearly Joe Philban isn't a fan of the player he inherited. In my opinion, he hasn't been used right. He is more of a power guard who does a better job inside a phone booth, then hitting moving targets. He actually played well in the opener filling in for Zach Martin at Right Guard. I actually think he could be a better option at the Center position. Here is some notes from his initial scouting report:

His starting experience at both center and guard could bring additional interest in McGovern, who would be a bigger, stronger option at center for teams facing odd-front power in their division.

XWalker has mentioned he has shotgun snap issues, but if that can be corrected, why not see if he can win the job at the position. Probably wishful thinking based on our current OL coach.

This is the area next to be address next offseason to finish the rebuild. Just like this yr, add a high prospect and an early day 3 one to develop.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Agreed, this is a directionally pointed group. The problem now is there are few resources left for change as this current window approaches. The head coach is on the line, if the line group doesn't pass muster, here and now.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Biadez needs to do a better job helping the LG and not just martin. Even if how the defense lines up if it calls for him to help on the right he can not turn his back to the LG like he did last year. McGovern was just ok but not good enough for a second contract unless really cheap backup type deal. If next year they want to move Tyler to replace tyron then they need to draft a guard.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's pretty evident the Cowboys are in the midst of an Offensive Line rebuild. Travis Frederick was forced to retire, Collins/Connor Williams are playing elsewhere, Tyron lack of durability remains, where Zach Martin is so called the last man standing.

The Cowboy Front Office is aware of their aging OL and have spent draft capital for the positional group over the last few seasons:

LT-Tyler Smith. We have been told he is a Guard now, but our future starter at LT. Same thing we heard about Tyron as a rookie, once he gets his hands on you, it's over. Needs development, but he is the air apparent to Tyron Smith at this juncture.

RT-Steele, Ball, Walesko. The hope is Steele solidifies the starting position and one of Ball/Walesko becomes a quality swing tackle. Walesko reminds me of a young Doug Free,

G/C-this is where it gets sketchy. Once Martin ultimately retires, who mans the interior. Farnoik's draft profile, suggests he is the ideal backup, swing interior lineman. He probably replaces McGovern next season. In my opinion, don't think Tyler Biadasz is the answer at the Center position. Here is some notes about his scouting report:

He has issues winning when matched against power. Pass protection could be a concern, as NFL sub-rushers will feast on his lunging and average lateral quickness. Biadasz's skill level has been developed, so he could become an early starter with limited upside.

This sounds about right, pretty much how he has played on the NFL level. Struggles against power, with a lack of anchor.

Is Connor McGovern playing elsewhere next season after his rookie contract expires? Clearly Joe Philban isn't a fan of the player he inherited. In my opinion, he hasn't been used right. He is more of a power guard who does a better job inside a phone booth, then hitting moving targets. He actually played well in the opener filling in for Zach Martin at Right Guard. I actually think he could be a better option at the Center position. Here is some notes from his initial scouting report:

His starting experience at both center and guard could bring additional interest in McGovern, who would be a bigger, stronger option at center for teams facing odd-front power in their division.

XWalker has mentioned he has shotgun snap issues, but if that can be corrected, why not see if he can win the job at the position. Probably wishful thinking based on our current OL coach.

This is the area next to be address next offseason to finish the rebuild. Just like this yr, add a high prospect and an early day 3 one to develop.

Tyler Smith will be awesome at LG.

Farniok will make a strong push to win the OC position.

Steele is very good at RT.
Steele at LT = 70% Steele at RT.

Waldo is already stronger than Doug Free.
- Bill Callahan was going to bench Free way back in 2012 but Garrett overruled him.

The problem is LT when Tyron misses a game.
- Moving Steele or Tyler are not preferred options; however, counting on Waldo or Ball at LT is not great either.
- I really wanted to hear that Ball looks great, but that has yet to happen. However, it is hard to know from no pads practices.
- I'm confident that Waldo will be decent eventually, but he was very raw in college Much like Tyler he got by on pure physical ability without much developed technique. He did look better than Penning at the Senior Bowl 1-on-1 drills against the same players.

75boyz

Reaction score
In addition to these new players, the future will likely include a new OL coach as well..

Philbin's o-line was poor down the stretch last year. "IF" a coaching change occurs, hiring the right OL coach to develop this group should be one of the new HC's top priorities.

jmo

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Need more young talent....

baltcowboy

Reaction score

There is a pretty good chance we draft another offensive lineman early again next season. We need to find Martin’s replacement as well.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Tyler Smith will be awesome at LG.

Farniok will make a strong push to win the OC position.

Steele is very good at RT.
Steele at LT = 70% Steele at RT.

Waldo is already stronger than Doug Free.
- Bill Callahan was going to bench Free way back in 2012 but Garrett overruled him.

The problem is LT when Tyron misses a game.
- Moving Steele or Tyler are not preferred options; however, counting on Waldo or Ball at LT is not great either.
- I really wanted to hear that Ball looks great, but that has yet to happen. However, it is hard to know from no pads practices.
- I'm confident that Waldo will be decent eventually, but he was very raw in college Much like Tyler he got by on pure physical ability without much developed technique. He did look better than Penning at the Senior Bowl 1-on-1 drills against the same players.
-Tyler Smith should be a quality starting Guard day 1. Bigger question is, who replaces Tyron when he misses time again? Do they shift Tyler to tackle and have McGovern or Farniok play Guard? Do they have Waldo start. This staff wasn't afraid to throw Steele out there as an undrafted rookie, but he did struggle badly in yr 1. What about Ball? Really prefer the team to sign a veteran swing tackle. Believe this will be Tyron Smith's last season as a Cowboy. Continuity is extremely important and they just cannot rely on Tyron's health anylonger.

-Will the staff allow legitimate competition to unseat Biaz as the starting Center? Farnoik was mentioned, but heard McGovern was taking backup snaps and they did sign 2 undrafted fa's.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score

Issac Alarcon can play LG when Tyler Smith has to move to tackle.

Adreme

Reaction score
I mean if we are projecting for when Martin retires you are trying to predict 3-4 years into the future and at that point you have no idea. Maybe Tyson is on that line, maybe he is a bust. It is impossible to say. Basically in 6 years you could assume 95% of the roster will not be on the roster and 70% in 4 years so the line in 3-4 is largely not on the roster.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That's it, we can go early on the line for the next couple drafts. It's time to reload and hopefully Tyler is the beginning of that. If he bounces out to tackle we need to get at least one blue chipper on the interior.
Yep time for a changing of the guard... pun intended !!! LLOOLLLLL

Mr_437

Reaction score
@Cowboyny great post!

Cowboys really need Ball or Waletzko to be solid, and I think it's been smart strategy, by the staff, to get those guys plenty reps now. However, I expect McClay to make a push to sign one of the veteran OTs in FA to help fill in for Tyron.

Cool thought the Cowboys could have their future LT n RT already playing opposite each other some this season.

Reactions: CWR

Cowboyny

Reaction score
@Cowboyny great post!

Cowboys really need Ball or Waletzko to be solid, and I think it's been smart strategy, by the staff, to get those guys plenty reps now. However, I expect McClay to make a push to sign one of the veteran OTs in FA to help fill in for Tyron.

Cool thought the Cowboys could have their future LT n RT already playing opposite each other some this season.
If these Tackles can effectively fill those future needs, it will be easier to address the interior, where he can find quality talent on day 2.