QB Justin Fields looking to transfer

4th_and_short

Reaction score
Yeah. I don’t really get the logic of #1 going to a school where there is already an established starter who is a year older and just took their team to their first SEC champsion in a good while, and first NC appearance in even longer. Did he expect to be Tua 2.0 or something? And #2 deciding to transfer after just one year.

I saw a report saying he’d be considering FSU, Ohio State and one other I can’t remember now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah. I don’t really get the logic of #1 going to a school where there is already an established starter who is a year older and just took their team to their first SEC champsion in a good while, and first NC appearance in even longer. Did he expect to be Tua 2.0 or something? And #2 deciding to transfer after just one year.

I saw a report saying he’d be considering FSU, Ohio State and one other I can’t remember now.

Its looking like OSU. He's applying for a hardship to be eligible immediately. The difference in the Bama situation was that, though Hurts was the QB of a really good team, he couldn't throw the ball. Fromm can wing it. And if Saban hadn't played Tua in the NC game, he was set to transfer too. You can't recruit these top QB's and not play them.

4th_and_short

Reaction score
Its looking like OSU. He's applying for a hardship to be eligible immediately. The difference in the Bama situation was that, though Hurts was the QB of a really good team, he couldn't throw the ball. Fromm can wing it. And if Saban hadn't played Tua in the NC game, he was set to transfer too. You can't recruit these top QB's and not play them.

Yeah this transfer stuff is getting a little out of hand imo. Why go to a school just to pack it up and leave when things don’t go your way?

Right, same story with Lawrence and the other Clemson QB. Having a QB who can actually throw efficiently helps the offense, who knew

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Jake stays all four years. I think he and his family would value his degree more than they would him going to the NFL early, but we’ll see. I went to Warner Robins High, which is a local rival to the HS Fromm went too. I have a lot of friends who are HoCo grads.

Hardship? What, he didn’t get handed the starting job just because he was the #1 recruit who went to a team with an already well established QB? Gimme a break. He’ll do just fine at OSU though I’m sure.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah this transfer stuff is getting a little out of hand imo. Why go to a school just to pack it up and leave when things don’t go your way?

Right, same story with Lawrence and the other Clemson QB. Having a QB who can actually throw efficiently helps the offense, who knew

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Jake stays all four years. I think he and his family would value his degree more than they would him going to the NFL early, but we’ll see. I went to Warner Robins High, which is a local rival to the HS Fromm went too. I have a lot of friends who are HoCo grads.

Hardship? What, he didn’t get handed the starting job just because he was the #1 recruit who went to a team with an already well established QB? Gimme a break. He’ll do just fine at OSU though I’m sure.

I think the recruiters lie as well. Someone on the UGA staff probably told Fields he would get a fair shot when the truth was that the job was Fromm's to lose. I think a lot of these kids have poor guidance and just go with the program that gives them the best song and dance.

If Fromm is projected as a first round pick next year, he needs to go. A college degree is pretty worthless in comparison to an NFL contract. He'll make more money on his rookie contract than 99% of his peers will earn in their lifetime with their degrees. He can always go back an earn a degree. But, the NFL is a once in a lifetime opportunity and every year he foregoes costs him millions.

Lawrence chose wisely. At worst, he would have had to sit behind Kelly for a year. But, Dabo's no dummy. He wasn't going to risk not playing the kid.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

The last 2 Heisman's were transfers.
It is going to continue to happen and frankly I don't mind it.
Sucks when it is your school but the kid shouldn't be stuck somewhere they dislike based on a scholarship someone else would give them.

Coaches have to recruit now based more on 3 years cycles than 4 or 5 year ones.

Fields situation is going to be worth watching as I am not sure he can beat out Tate Martell.
Martell is uber talented as well and has time in the system.
Matthew Baldwin was a Ryan Day recruit and is a baller.
Transferring there to sit out a year then not win the job would be brutal for Fields pro hopes.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The last 2 Heisman's were transfers.
It is going to continue to happen and frankly I don't mind it.
Sucks when it is your school but the kid shouldn't be stuck somewhere they dislike based on a scholarship someone else would give them.

Coaches have to recruit now based more on 3 years cycles than 4 or 5 year ones.

Fields situation is going to be worth watching as I am not sure he can beat out Tate Martell.
Martell is uber talented as well and has time in the system.
Matthew Baldwin was a Ryan Day recruit and is a baller.
Transferring there to sit out a year then not win the job would be brutal for Fields pro hopes.

Most coaches just try to sign the best players they can every year. There is no "cycle" at the elite programs. Schools like Alabama and OSU are always churning the bottom of their rosters. The scholarships are basically year to year which is why I have no problem with easing up on the transfer rules.

Fields is going to win a job at any school where he's given an open competition. He's better than Trevor Lawrence. The problem and the reason he's transfering is that UGA basically lied to him. It was never a competition, and he never had a chance to win the starting the job.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Nailed it.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score

Any of these top tier QB's that stay an extra year for a degree from a normal state school is just stupid. The only one I understood was Andrew Luck at Stanford in a highly valued academic program.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any of these top tier QB's that stay an extra year for a degree from a normal state school is just stupid. The only one I understood was Andrew Luck at Stanford in a highly valued academic program.

The college degree argument always cracks me up. Most are overpriced and qualify you to take a food order or work a retail cash register. So, yeah, lets stay in school for one of those instead of making millions in the NFL. :facepalm:

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
The college degree argument always cracks me up. Most are overpriced and qualify you to take a food order or work a retail cash register. So, yeah, lets stay in school for one of those instead of making millions in the NFL. :facepalm:

Yeah those college degrees makings those mid 5 figure salaries are just too important.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah those college degrees makings those mid 5 figure salaries are just too important.

I've got a family friend whose kid spent 180k on a private college earning a degree in marketing. She's waits tables at a pizza joint and has 100k in student loans. Not knocking education.......but common.

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
I've got a family friend whose kid spent 180k on a private college earning a degree in marketing. She's waits tables at a pizza joint and has 100k in student loans. Not knocking education.......but common.

I think about 80% of current college degrees are a manufactured money making scheme. Trade schools are the future for the youth of this country.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Common? :huh: