QB Rankings, tiers, and young QB's

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Putting Stafford and Jimmy above Dak, lost it for me. Roth, Brady, Brees, and Rivers; are on the way out, but two of the four are still worthy.

UncleRico

Reaction score
I would like to see you make a list of the QB's you think, we can get for under 28 million, and are capable of handling the load. AKA... the bus drivers you think can get it done.
At under 28 you are likely only going to get a 1-2 year deal out of a Brady(who is a shell of his former self), probably Carr(definition of average), Winston, Cousins, Dalton. I’d say BEST possible option at under 28million is prob like a Stafford who has done absolutely nothing his entire career.

UncleRico

Reaction score
At under 28 you are likely only going to get a 1-2 year deal out of a Brady(who is a shell of his former self), probably Carr(definition of average), Winston, Cousins, Dalton. I’d say BEST possible option at under 28million is prob like a Stafford who has done absolutely nothing his entire career.
Prob an old and decrepit Roethlisberger and Old Man Rivers too on a rental.

Much better options than Dak****

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
First, Wentz and Cousins should be higher. Not a fan of Wentz, but he had game winning drives that mattered.

Second, I loved Romo more for his last minute pull a win out of your *** clutch play. Dak simply has not shown that ability. It's not a hate hate thing. That whole argument when someone points out Dak's flaws it's because they are Romo lovers is just dumb. What are they wrong about? He's not very good passing inside the 10. Can't throw the fade in the end zone. He started the year out great, but then same ol same ol last 5 or 6 games. Late on reads, throws behind guys on crossing routes, really inaccurate on throws over 20 yards. Could have won at least two more games that were there to be taken and from a clean pocket, can't hit a wide open WR running up the sideline. Don't you just want to break your TV set when you see that? He could not mount a game winning drive this year. Not any. Even went 3 and out once or twice. I really thought he was turning the corner through the first couple games. But he is what he is.

So Titans didn't have a franchise QB. But they have a good D and a great RB and Oline. But their coach had the balls to see Mariota ain't it and replaced him with an accurate passer (70% 117qb rating) who can make all the throws and look at them now. QB matters.

My rankings are based on the entire careers of the QB, not this year only as you seem to be doing. And as far as Dak being clutch he led the NFL in last minute drive wins first 3 years in the NFL. Even his detractors admitted that he was clutch.

This year we didn't get a chance to see much of that, however.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
For me, its not about throwing away every QB until you find one that is elite. I would take ANY QB in the first 3 tiers, pay him, and roll with him. Romo was there and good enough for me. I know some think you need an elite QB, but history shows that is not the case.

Here is my current order up to 16:

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
7. Jackson (somewhat of a gimmick QB. Needs a system completely designed for his running style)
8. Watson

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

My QB theory is that you pay and roll with anyone in those top 3 tiers. I would also note that anyone in that third tier you could change around the order and they are generally in the same level of QB. Wentz I would put in the 3rd tier, but he is hurt too often. Rivers is on his last leg. I highlighted the guys in red that in a year or two will probably retire. I put the guys in blue that represent the youngest QB's.

I would also note that I would NEVER stop drafting QB's and developing young QB's even if I had a franchise QB. Position is too important.
I don't see Brady as elite anymore..he's been in decline at a pretty rapid pace.

Swagger

Reaction score
For me, its not about throwing away every QB until you find one that is elite. I would take ANY QB in the first 3 tiers, pay him, and roll with him. Romo was there and good enough for me. I know some think you need an elite QB, but history shows that is not the case.

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
7. Jackson (somewhat of a gimmick QB. Needs a system completely designed for his running style)
8. Watson

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

My QB theory is that you pay and roll with anyone in those top 3 tiers. I would also note that anyone in that third tier you could change around the order and they are generally in the same level of QB. Wentz I would put in the 3rd tier, but he is hurt too often. Rivers is on his last leg. I highlighted the guys in red that in a year or two will probably retire. I put the guys in blue that represent the youngest QB's.

I would also note that I would NEVER stop drafting QB's and developing young QB's even if I had a franchise QB. Position is too important.

I would pay the top two tiers as it could be argued that one or two QBs in a tier two have been or will be in tier one at some point.

Stafford is your classic overpaid QB relatively speaking - he's good but not elite and never come close to winning anything even in his own division.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Putting Stafford and Jimmy above Dak, lost it for me. Roth, Brady, Brees, and Rivers; are on the way out, but two of the four are still worthy.

I think to a certain extent you are missing the point of the thread. Its not where Dak ranks its that any QB in the top 3 tiers would be a QB I would support, pay, and would be good enough for me.

CWR

Reaction score
As much as it hurts to write this.. Wentz is deserving of being in the same tier as Dak. He did a lot with next to nothing this past year. We saw what happens to Dak without weapons and/or O-Line. Dak is exceptional with a good supporting cast, not to be seen as a knock on him. Wentz elevated his peers toward the end of the year. Saying all of this being a Dak guy.

Im comfortable knocking Wentz down a tier because I think there's a good chance he is an injury liability his entire career.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would pay the top two tiers as it could be argued that one or two QBs in a tier two have been or will be in tier one at some point.

Stafford is your classic overpaid QB relatively speaking - he's good but not elite and never come close to winning anything even in his own division.

That's because the team around him has been subpar most of his career.

Verdict

Reaction score

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Brady is no longer top tier (maybe second tier —and falling).

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
8. Watson

Ruthlessraper is no longer a top tier QB. He is second or third tier and falling.

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Stafford is on his way out. Ryan is 2/3 of the way through his shelf life.

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

Rivers is done. Cousins is a bus driver.

Swagger

Reaction score
2 types:

1. Those that loved Romo and simply hate to hate. Can never accept Dak because they have to admit they were wrong

2. Those that are so stuck in the "Elite QB theory" that its all they think about when it comes to winning games. Probably younger guys that are a little naïve on the way the team concept works, QB development and QB play.

How/why does number one even apply!? How could anyone think that Prescott has proven people wrong about him and Romo? Genuine question.

Again this is a case of people comparing Romo in his early gunslinger days and not the Romo of 2013/2014 when he was one of the best quarterbacks in the league. The latter is all that's relevant unless people have invented a time machine that i'm unaware of...

CWR

Reaction score
First, Wentz and Cousins should be higher. Not a fan of Wentz, but he had game winning drives that mattered.

Second, I loved Romo more for his last minute pull a win out of your *** clutch play. Dak simply has not shown that ability. It's not a hate hate thing. That whole argument when someone points out Dak's flaws it's because they are Romo lovers is just dumb. What are they wrong about? He's not very good passing inside the 10. Can't throw the fade in the end zone. He started the year out great, but then same ol same ol last 5 or 6 games. Late on reads, throws behind guys on crossing routes, really inaccurate on throws over 20 yards. Could have won at least two more games that were there to be taken and from a clean pocket, can't hit a wide open WR running up the sideline. Don't you just want to break your TV set when you see that? He could not mount a game winning drive this year. Not any. Even went 3 and out once or twice. I really thought he was turning the corner through the first couple games. But he is what he is.

So Titans didn't have a franchise QB. But they have a good D and a great RB and Oline. But their coach had the balls to see Mariota ain't it and replaced him with an accurate passer (70% 117qb rating) who can make all the throws and look at them now. QB matters.

One season of Dak not living up to our expectations for being clutch does not erase all of the clutch moments he had in previous seasons. People forget rather quickly.

He has nine fourth-quarter comebacks and 15game-winning drives in his three seasons. His predecessor, Tony Romo, had 25 fourth-quarter comebacks and 30 game-winning drives in his career.Jan 7, 2019

Verdict

Reaction score
Dak is a top 10 QB and maybe top 5 at this point. He is worth a lot more than Cowboys fans think he is. A lot like Romo.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How/why does number one even apply!? How could anyone think that Prescott has proven people wrong about him and Romo? Genuine question.

Again this is a case of people comparing Romo in his early gunslinger days and not the Romo of 2013/2014 when he was one of the best quarterbacks in the league. The latter is all that's relevant unless people have invented a time machine that i'm unaware of...

Most Romo types claimed Dak was a backup and he wasn't a good QB. Wasn't franchise material. Whether any of them will admit it or not, they have all been proven dead wrong.

Dak is much better than any of them thought.

Swagger

Reaction score
That's because the team around him has been subpar most of his career.
What has Aaron Rodgers had around him excluding this season for the past 5-6 years except a fat waste of space as his head coach yet he still won the division and made the play offs. The Packers D has been an absolute disgrace until this season when it has been reasonable. He's elite and deserved his money. They still had a chance.