QB Rankings, tiers, and young QB's

Swagger

Reaction score
Most Romo types claimed Dak was a backup and he wasn't a good QB. Wasn't franchise material. Whether any of them will admit it or not, they have all been proven dead wrong.

Dak is much better than any of them thought.

I would like to see Prescott play on a team like Darnold had to this season. We would then see his true worth. If he proved me wrong then I would hold my hands up.

It's difficult to quantify how good Prescott really is compared with the other younger quarterbacks as our offense has so many resources pumped into it that few others have had the benefit of.

Some people have dismissed and written off Sam Darnold as a bust but actually take a minute to consider what he has around him. He might well be a bust in time but in my view it's utterly brainless to have formed that judgement already. The guy hasn't had a fair shake. Wow that O-Line!

dfense

Reaction score
One season of Dak not living up to our expectations for being clutch does not erase all of the clutch moments he had in previous seasons. People forget rather quickly.

He has nine fourth-quarter comebacks and 15game-winning drives in his three seasons. His predecessor, Tony Romo, had 25 fourth-quarter comebacks and 30 game-winning drives in his career.Jan 7, 2019
Factor in his handoff comebacks. In previous years they were within 3 points in a bunch of games and just had to get into field goal range to win.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What has Aaron Rodgers had around him excluding this season for the past 5-6 years except a fat waste of space as his head coach yet he still won the division and made the play offs. The Packers D has been an absolute disgrace until this season when it has been reasonable. He's elite and deserved his money. They still had a chance.

Why are you telling me that? I have Rogers ranked #2 and elite.

But your point seems to bolster my case. Rogers hasn't had much around him. Probably the reason he has only won one SB.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would like to see Prescott play on a team like Darnold had to this season. We would then see his true worth. If he proved me wrong then I would hold my hands up.

It's difficult to quantify how good Prescott really is compared with the other younger quarterbacks as our offense has so many resources pumped into it that few others have had the benefit of.

Some people have dismissed and written off Sam Darnold as a bust but actually take a minute to consider what he has around him. He might well be a bust in time but in my view it's utterly brainless to have formed that judgement already. The guy hasn't had a fair shake. Wow that O-Line!

You seem to be jumping all over the place on some kind of angry rant. I actually like Darnold.

CWR

Reaction score
Factor in his handoff comebacks. In previous years they were within 3 points in a bunch of games and just had to get into field goal range to win.

So picking up first downs and getting your team in position to kick a game winning field goal doesn't count?

conner01

Reaction score
Let’s look at this as if all QB’s are being paid this offseason on a one year deal and how much a team should be willing to pay for this upcoming season according to rankings/tier (IMO of course)

Taking availability, physical skills, football IQ, and leadership into account these are my rankings

let’s pretend Mahomes will get 40 Mil so let’s start there

Tier 1:
1. Mahomes- 40m/year
2. Rogers- 38.5m/year
3. Wilson- 35m/year

Tier 2:
4. Jackson- 32m/year
5. Brees- 32m/year
6. Ryan-31m/year
7. Dak- 31m/year
8. Watson- 31m/year
9. Wentz- 31m/year

10. Garrapalo- 28m/year
11. Stafford- 25m/year
12. Cousins- 24m/year
13. Brady- 24myear
13. Roethlisberger- 22m/year
14. Goff- 22m/year
15. Rivers- 21m/year

I believe these are fair market value evaluations
Fair or not Dak will get just under Wilson I believe

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
First, Wentz and Cousins should be higher. Not a fan of Wentz, but he had game winning drives that mattered.

Second, I loved Romo more for his last minute pull a win out of your *** clutch play. Dak simply has not shown that ability. It's not a hate hate thing. That whole argument when someone points out Dak's flaws it's because they are Romo lovers is just dumb. What are they wrong about? He's not very good passing inside the 10. Can't throw the fade in the end zone. He started the year out great, but then same ol same ol last 5 or 6 games. Late on reads, throws behind guys on crossing routes, really inaccurate on throws over 20 yards. Could have won at least two more games that were there to be taken and from a clean pocket, can't hit a wide open WR running up the sideline. Don't you just want to break your TV set when you see that? He could not mount a game winning drive this year. Not any. Even went 3 and out once or twice. I really thought he was turning the corner through the first couple games. But he is what he is.

So Titans didn't have a franchise QB. But they have a good D and a great RB and Oline. But their coach had the balls to see Mariota ain't it and replaced him with an accurate passer (70% 117qb rating) who can make all the throws and look at them now. QB matters.
Haha Wentz had game winning drives that mattered Haha against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL that also happened to be division opponents. He barely beat them by the way when Dak beat them by an average of 20 plus points. Also that silly comment that Dak isn't clutch and Romo had all these game winning drives, you know Dak has played 4 seasons and had the most come back/ game winning drives in the NFL. Or does this year only count cause the entire team quit on the coach and Daks numbers were down........... although he had career highs across the board.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me, its not about throwing away every QB until you find one that is elite. I would take ANY QB in the first 3 tiers, pay him, and roll with him. Romo was there and good enough for me. I know some think you need an elite QB, but history shows that is not the case.

Here is my current order up to 16:

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
7. Jackson (somewhat of a gimmick QB. Needs a system completely designed for his running style)
8. Watson

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

My QB theory is that you pay and roll with anyone in those top 3 tiers. I would also note that anyone in that third tier you could change around the order and they are generally in the same level of QB. Wentz I would put in the 3rd tier, but he is hurt too often. Rivers is on his last leg. I highlighted the guys in red that in a year or two will probably retire. I put the guys in blue that represent the youngest QB's.

I would also note that I would NEVER stop drafting QB's and developing young QB's even if I had a franchise QB. Position is too important.

Your Tier 4 ratings are laughable at best!
Don't quit your day job!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
For me, its not about throwing away every QB until you find one that is elite. I would take ANY QB in the first 3 tiers, pay him, and roll with him. Romo was there and good enough for me. I know some think you need an elite QB, but history shows that is not the case.

Here is my current order up to 16:

Tier 1. (Elite)
1. Mahones
2. Rogers
3. Brady
4. Brees
5. Wilson

Tier 2.
6. Rothlisberger
7. Jackson (somewhat of a gimmick QB. Needs a system completely designed for his running style)
8. Watson

Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

My QB theory is that you pay and roll with anyone in those top 3 tiers. I would also note that anyone in that third tier you could change around the order and they are generally in the same level of QB. Wentz I would put in the 3rd tier, but he is hurt too often. Rivers is on his last leg. I highlighted the guys in red that in a year or two will probably retire. I put the guys in blue that represent the youngest QB's.

I would also note that I would NEVER stop drafting QB's and developing young QB's even if I had a franchise QB. Position is too important.
Agreed with your point, overall, bro..., but there are a few QBs I definitely would not rank above Dak. Dak is definitely better than Garoppolo, Rothlisberger and a few others I refrain from naming in order to keep any anti-Dakers from going ballistic.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Haha Wentz had game winning drives that mattered Haha against 2 of the worst teams in the NFL that also happened to be division opponents. He barely beat them by the way when Dak beat them by an average of 20 plus points. Also that silly comment that Dak isn't clutch and Romo had all these game winning drives, you know Dak has played 4 seasons and had the most come back/ game winning drives in the NFL. Or does this year only count cause the entire team quit on the coach and Daks numbers were down........... although he had career highs across the board.
Bro, it's the Romoholics that are constantly still hating on Dak. They will never accept him since Dak forced their beloved into retirement. lol

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Tier 3
9. Stafford
10.Garrapolo
11. Dak
12. Ryan
13. Goff

Tier 4.
14. Wentz
15. Cousins
16. Rivers

All these guys are "tier 3" in my eyes...with Ryan and Rivers being near the top as the "elder statesmen" I accept Garrapolo being in here, but he should be near the bottom until further proven...hes lifted by a great defense and running game...

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
TIER 1 - Football Jesus

Mahomes

TIER 2 - Dominant and in their Prime, Not going anywhere

Wilson
Rogers

TIER 3 - Freak athletic skills until that first broken leg

Jackson

TIER 4 - Trying to be in TIER 2, entering primes and TBD if dominant or serviceable veteran

Prescott
Goff
Watson
Garrapalo
Wentz

TIER 5 - Still Dominant at times but just a game away from retirement

Brady
Brees
TIER 6 - Serviceable Veterans with Different Shelf Lives

Ryan
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Cousins
Stafford

TIER 7 - One year wonder, or ready to move up to TIER 6?

Bridgewater
Tannehill

TIER 8 - Trying to be in TIER 4, could drop to TIER 10, only in this TIER because of their youth

Allen BUF
Mayfield
Jones
Trubinsky
Murray
Allen CAR
Darnold

TIER 9 - Break open only if you couldn't get a good draft pick or a vet in Tier 6 or 7

Dalton
Flacco
Winston
Fitzpatrick
Brissett

TIER 10 - QB Hell, Career Bench Warmer

Many, many names

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
1. Those that hate Romo and simply love to find a guy, any guy and say, "See I told you it was all Romo's fault". hence the Dak love.

Last edited:

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think to a certain extent you are missing the point of the thread. Its not where Dak ranks its that any QB in the top 3 tiers would be a QB I would support, pay, and would be good enough for me.

I see you, but when you put them in tiers; that is a ranking system.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Bro, it's the Romoholics that are constantly still hating on Dak. They will never accept him since Dak forced their beloved into retirement. lol
Absolutely, with the nonsense they post the only logical explanation is what you said. The entire Dak can't throw 250 yards a game, can't throw every pass, only dink and dunk, no pocket awareness, holds the ball too long and can't throw 4000 yards and 30 TDs have all went out the window. Now it's because of garbage time........I thought Dak couldn't do all that even in garbage time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Absolutely, with the nonsense they post the only logical explanation is what you said. The entire Dak can't throw 250 yards a game, can't throw every pass, only dink and dunk, no pocket awareness, holds the ball too long and can't throw 4000 yards and 30 TDs have all went out the window. Now it's because of garbage time........I thought Dak couldn't do all that even in garbage time.
:hammer: