QB Salary

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
An unhealthy obsession with your QB's salary does not make you a very well balanced fan. It's not like you have any control over it anyway so why are you being so obsessed with it? Dak Prescott is going to get paid whatever he and Stephen Jones agree to pay him and there is nothing you can do about it. It's no guarantee the Cowboys will be fruitful or suck in the future. Money has never been a direct correlation with future success so why are you connecting the two?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Please see the average salary of the top paid QB's
To me the anomalies are Kirk Cousins, Jimmy G,
To a lesser degree Stafford, Carr, Alex Smith, Flacco. I think Foles is being paid a fair salary based on his skill set and performance. I am 100% ok paying Dak a salary equivalent to Alex Smith. It would not be an insult for him to agree to that contract.

Wilson 35
Big Ben 34
Rodgers 33.5
Ryan 30
Kirk 28
Jimmy 27.5
Stafford 27
Carr 25
Brees 25
Luck 25
Alex S 23.5
Flacco 22
Foles 22

Let me ask you this … if you plan to sell your house, and the housing market goes up significantly, are you going to sell your house for the same as your neighbor sold his for 2 years earlier when housing prices were lower, or are you going to make a buyer pay full market value under the current higher market conditions?

What you are missing is these QBs did not negotiate their contract under today's market conditions. Luck signed his contract 3 years ago. Stafford and Carr 2 years ago. The market isn't the same as it was even a year ago. Market conditions don't just stand still until everybody who signed contracts in the past are ready to sign a new one in the present. There will always be contracts coming up at different points in times, and the market will be higher than when others signed in the past.

And it's not just QB's. Look at D-Law. In 2018 he played under the franchise tag for $17 million. Just a year later the price under the franchise tag would have been over $20 million.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
An unhealthy obsession with your QB's salary does not make you a very well balanced fan. It's not like you have any control over it anyway so why are you being so obsessed with it? Dak Prescott is going to get paid whatever he and Stephen Jones agree to pay him and there is nothing you can do about it. It's no guarantee the Cowboys will be fruitful or suck in the future. Money has never been a direct correlation with future success so why are you connecting the two?

Are you saying some of our fans are unbalanced?

dckid

Reaction score
Let me ask you this … if you plan to sell your house, and the housing market goes up significantly, are you going to sell your house for the same as your neighbor sold his for 2 years earlier when housing prices were lower, or are you going to make a buyer pay full market value under the current higher market conditions?

What you are missing is these QBs did not negotiate their contract under today's market conditions. Luck signed his contract 3 years ago. Stafford and Carr 2 years ago. The market isn't the same as it was even a year ago. Market conditions don't just stand still until everybody who signed contracts in the past are ready to sign a new one in the present. There will always be contracts coming up at different points in times, and the market will be higher than when others signed in the past.

And it's not just QB's. Look at D-Law. In 2018 he played under the franchise tag for $17 million. Just a year later the price under the franchise tag would have been over $20 million.

OmerV, you are right to an extent but you cant really compare Housing market to player salaries. Housing has no salary cap while NFL teams do.
I wan to reiterate that I am always pro player and want them to make as much money as possible. I always side with the player that is just my nature.
I have no issue with us paying Dlaw what we did, I was all for signing him to a Vernon type deal last off season. To me Dlaw is a better player at his position than Dak is at his.
This contract concern is only for Dak, and QB's of his skill set, body of work. If we had Russell and we paid him 35 million I would have no complaints

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
OmerV, you are right to an extent but you cant really compare Housing market to player salaries. Housing has no salary cap while NFL teams do.
I wan to reiterate that I am always pro player and want them to make as much money as possible. I always side with the player that is just my nature.
I have no issue with us paying Dlaw what we did, I was all for signing him to a Vernon type deal last off season. To me Dlaw is a better player at his position than Dak is at his.
This contract concern is only for Dak, and QB's of his skill set, body of work. If we had Russell and we paid him 35 million I would have no complaints

His example is right. It doesn't matter that the NFL has a cap, that cap continues to go up every year anyway. Fans have a harder time wrapping their head around what the market cost for a player is because of the volatility in the market, 2 years ago the highest paid QB was making $25, now it's $35. It's not just QBs, all positions prices are going up. All 32 starting QBs are not negotiating their contracts at the same time. Fans try to compare salaries that were negotiated over different years, but it doesn't work because of the volatility of the market. If Dak signs for $30, he's not resetting the market and he's not getting paid like a "top 10" He would be getting paid as the 4th of 5 QBs signed this season.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Nope. They are getting the same money. Just less of it counts against the cap.
Each team cap is basically 1/32 of what the players get of the pie so if you have money not counting towards the cap isn’t that extra pie?

Flamma

Reaction score
Each team cap is basically 1/32 of what the players get of the pie so if you have money not counting towards the cap isn’t that extra pie?

Oh now I understand you. You mean there will be more money left over. Yes. Well, teams aren't obligated to spend it. It was just a suggestion to better be able to build and maintain a quality team under the cap if you draft well. But if that's not important to the owners then you're right, it will never fly.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Oh now I understand you. You mean there will be more money left over. Yes. Well, teams aren't obligated to spend it. It was just a suggestion to better be able to build and maintain a quality team under the cap if you draft well. But if that's not important to the owners then you're right, it will never fly.

That’s why I think an individual cap or max salary is a possibility.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
His example is right. It doesn't matter that the NFL has a cap, that cap continues to go up every year anyway. Fans have a harder time wrapping their head around what the market cost for a player is because of the volatility in the market, 2 years ago the highest paid QB was making $25, now it's $35. It's not just QBs, all positions prices are going up. All 32 starting QBs are not negotiating their contracts at the same time. Fans try to compare salaries that were negotiated over different years, but it doesn't work because of the volatility of the market. If Dak signs for $30, he's not resetting the market and he's not getting paid like a "top 10" He would be getting paid as the 4th of 5 QBs signed this season.

Good post!

CCBoy

Reaction score
very true. Belicheck as a coach and his coaching philosophy and input would probably account for 60-70% of the super bowls and the patriots success.
can you imagine what would happen to brady if he played under Jason Garrett ?

Broken collar bones?