QB Solution - Stafford

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can’t do that anymore. A first round pick has to play because of the salary cap. Name me one first round pick recently that sat the bench his second year?
There was a salary cap when Rodgers came into the league too, and as a late 1st rounders Love’s contract is not that big (4 years, $12.4 million total).

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Stafford has a great arm, no doubt better than Dak. But there are other factors that go into the QB position, and I would give Dak the edge in other areas.

Agree, that is why on my response, I gave the overall factor to Dak but Matt was still the better passer.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I mean.......are the Cowboys ran that much better? I will say we draft better than them for sure. But we just wasted 10 years with Garrett. They've never stayed with a bad coach that long.

LOL, we should have followed there lead on coaches. They have won nothing and switch out coaches and we won nothing and stayed with the same coach for over 10 years. Rather take my chances with the former. But you will probably here we have won the division so many times though.

DFWJC

Reaction score
All else equal......insert Stafford or Prescott into the exact same roster.....I think Stafford is the better player.

But Dak is still young and improving and Matt is getting older and finally starting to have older guy injuries (back,etc)

Lets see Dak in MM’s offense this year and take it from there.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Other teams don't want? What kind of stupid statement is this? He's played his entire career for one team..which teams don't want him? You have no idea bc your statement is baseless

You're the one speculating that Detroit wants to part with Stafford. You admitted you were just speculating. If Detroit want's him, he's not going anywhere.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There was a salary cap when Rodgers came into the league too, and as a late 1st rounders Love’s contract is not that big (4 years, $12.4 million total).
You did not answer the question. We agree to disagree. No issue.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Stafford doesnt excite me, but i’d take him over Rayne in a second

His peak>> Rayne’s

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Staffords time in Detroit is probably coming to an end. There were some rumblings his time there was over earlier this off-season. I think due to cap implications the team decided to hang onto him for another season.

Obviously I'm speculating, but I think 2020 is Staffords last year in Detroit. Matt is a Texas kid and I think the perfect solution for both sides is for Stafford to take over the qb job here in Dallas. This offensive line, these weapons, MM has to know him really well, I think the fit is really really good. This team is in win now mode and you are getting a super talented qb who has experience. What do you guys think?

So your solutions is to bring in a soon to be 34 year old QB that missed the final 8 games to an injury to his spine. The same QB that is 0-3 in the playoffs over 11 season career.

khiladi

Reaction score
Wait Stafford is washed and doesn’t have an arm? Where does have an all-pro line? Apparently Rivers is washed up too, to some on here, though yes reunited with Franck Reich and behind the Colts line.

This is silly. If we could get Stafford, just do it. This man consistently threw for over 4000 yards with Linehan and apparently, Linehan was at fault for Dak not being able to throw. I think he did 5000 under Linehan.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/30/matthew-stafford-no-3-in-yards-under-pressure/

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Wait Stafford is washed and doesn’t have an arm? Where does have an all-pro line? Apparently Rivers is washed up too, to some on here, though yes reunited with Franck Reich and behind the Colts line.

This is silly. If we could get Stafford, just do it. This man consistently threw for over 4000 yards with Linehan and apparently, Linehan was at fault for Dak not being able to throw. I think he did 5000 under Linehan.

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2018/01/30/matthew-stafford-no-3-in-yards-under-pressure/
Threw for 5,000 yards and made the playoffs with no rusher over 400 yds for the season and the 23rd ranked defense

Dak could never

khiladi

Reaction score
19 TDs and 5 INTs last year, 2499 yards in 8 games, while being sacked 18 times and had his best career in terms of yards per attempt. Guy threw for 45 TDs and 16 INTs under Linehan in one season and broke 5000 yards once. How is this even a debate?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You did not answer the question. We agree to disagree. No issue.
I didn’t think I needed to since the logic behind your comment that prompted the question was faulty, but off the top of my head, Paxton Lynch comes to mind, and he the Broncos didn’t have anything close to an Aaron Rodgers level player to keep the ship afloat while he developed.

I think what you are missing is most 1st round QBs are drafted by teams that don’t already have a top QB, so the team doesn’t have an alternative. They are desperate for someone to step in.

That’s not GBs situation. They have the luxury of a great QB they could choose to keep while the late first rounder develops. Just like it worked when GB did this with Favre and Rodgers.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score