QB Time to Release (Dak much improved)

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The time from the snap to when the QB releases the ball is a stat that has been tracked in recent years.

Dak has never been in the top 10 in terms of least amount of time holding the ball (based on full season averages).

Dak was 8th for game 1 of 2019 in shortest "hold time".

In 2018 Dak was 30th for the season.
improvement is good. but we have to see how he does against better opponents.....was it the new scheme? better WR play? better Dak? combination? or was it lower level competition giving wide open looks to the offense.....

but again, its good to see.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure seems like this particular stat could encourage misleading conclusions. Our excellent O-line of 2014 for example, sometimes Romo had 8, 9, 10+ seconds in a clean pocket. Is that really a bad thing?
That’s what I was going to say. I guess if you are getting sacked a lot this stat might mean something but I think I want my quarterback to hold the call however long it takes.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That, and guys running clear by 10 yards. LOL

We'll really have a good grasp on where he is once they play some legit defenses. The Giants will finish bottom five in the league I bet.

No doubt Dallas will face some better defense. I'm not one who expects every outing will be great or without struggle. Rodgers had a hard time vs the Bears defense and his numbers were less than stellar, he hit a couple of big plays in the game that proved to be the difference. I have watched the NFL long enough to know that not every game will be big wins and you will drop some games along the way. I do like what the offense is doing in terms of using motion and play action and feel it will greatly benefit the team and Dak

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
improvement is good. but we have to see how he does against better opponents.....was it the new scheme? better WR play? better Dak? combination? or was it lower level competition giving wide open looks to the offense.....

multiple-choice-all-above-options-test-quiz-uncertainty-gues-words-touch-screen-wall-man-selecting-option-47965130.jpg

phildadon86

Reaction score
That, and guys running clear by 10 yards. LOL

We'll really have a good grasp on where he is once they play some legit defenses. The Giants will finish bottom five in the league I bet.
Never can give the guy credit at all can ya? Lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The pass to Cobb where Cobb stiff armed the defender to get the 1st is a good example.

Dak could have waited for Gallup who was obviously going to be open but the pass rush was coming. Dak threw the pass to Cobb. Last season he likely would have waited and would have been coached to wait for Gallup but it's 50-50 on whether the pass rush gets there before he can make the throw.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The time from the snap to when the QB releases the ball is a stat that has been tracked in recent years.

Dak has never been in the top 10 in terms of least amount of time holding the ball (based on full season averages).

Because he has a real OC now and scheme. And guys were wide open. And there was no pressure. When you are scrambling for your life and there is no separation with your receivers, the time to throw goes up.

quickccc

Reaction score

Maybe

But someone in that coaching staff in the last 3 games of 2018 per NYGiants, Seattle and Rams, I finally saw a different Prescott getting the ball out of his hands more quickly and not holding the ball for sacks
(after all this lengthy time!)

That led me to ' suspect" something behind the scenes among the coaches maybe among management too, ..that said let's listen to a different voice and different approach to see of we can get a different, better response from our QB

..and it damn well seem to work...and well into 2019 season with a totally different OC (Moore). And added new assistants coaches (kitna)

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe

But someone in that coaching staff in the last 3 games of 2018 per NYGiants, Seattle and Rams, I finally saw a different Prescott getting the ball out of his hands more quickly and not holding the ball for sacks
(after all this lengthy time!)

That led me to ' suspect" something behind the scenes among the coaches maybe among management too, ..that said let's listen to a different voice and different approach to see of we can get a different, better response from our QB

..and it damn well seem to work...and well into 2019 season with a totally different OC (Moore). And added new assistants coaches (kitna)

I'm convinced that they let Kellen Moore call and design the plays for the "meaningless" game 16 last season.

I base that both on the look and feel of the plays as well as comments by Broaddus and crew about Moore being more involved in that game.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

Hence the sack total

Dre11

Reaction score
He's trusting his eyes and letting it rip as Kitna instructed him. Kitna in an interview in the off-season said that's what he told him.

Dre11

Reaction score
I'm convinced that they let Kellen Moore call and design the plays for the "meaningless" game 16 last season.

I base that both on the look and feel of the plays as well as comments by Broaddus and crew about Moore being more involved in that game.

Dak said last season Garrett, Moore , and himself came up with that gameplan. It was a game for Dak to show he could put the team on his back when he said it click for him late last season.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

I wonder why?
1567734531-NS_08cowstexans2.jpg

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The pass to Cobb where Cobb stiff armed the defender to get the 1st is a good example.

Dak could have waited for Gallup who was obviously going to be open but the pass rush was coming. Dak threw the pass to Cobb. Last season he likely would have waited and would have been coached to wait for Gallup but it's 50-50 on whether the pass rush gets there before he can make the throw.
any positive yards, is better than negative yards and potential injury to your QB

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think part of that is knowing where you are going with the ball based on the pre snap read. I saw much less hesitation on the part of Dak. He knew where he wanted to go and ripped it.
Yep. And he threw with anticipation.

Something clicked with him, because he made reads and decisions that he's never shown the ability to before. The physical has always been there well enough, but he has made huge leaps in the mental since just last season.

erod

Reaction score
Never can give the guy credit at all can ya? Lol
Been doing so here since Sunday. Lots of it.

But no fan base will overreact to one game like this fan base.

I'm encouraged, but I would like to see something like this against somebody other than a bottom five defense.

And Kellen Moore is an unknown right now. They'll get a book on him soon, and we'll see how he adjusts.

starfan1

Reaction score

YA both ways. This site and many other cowboy sites go insane when he throws on of target pass.The touchdown to Jarwin an example but not limited. The game thread is comical

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I'm encouraged, but I would like to see something like this against somebody other than a bottom five defense.

And Kellen Moore is an unknown right now. They'll get a book on him soon, and we'll see how he adjusts.

I agree, week 1 was just the 1st test of 16. They did very well and was thrilled to see them blowout NY as they did. But it was 1 game, they get a chance to bring the show on the road vs Washington another important game since it is a divisional game. I don't expect a blowout this week and think it will be a tougher game especially when Skins will be fighting to avoid a 0-2 start on the season. As for a book on Moore, I don't think he came close to showing all he has.