QB's who never won a SB

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Run the ball with Payton, give up 10-13 points score 14. Yep, any QB would have worked.

Well, I wouldn't say any quarterback. He still has to be confident. But that team could have won the Super Bowl with just a decent quarterback like Trent Dilfer. The Ravens did, and they had a similarly stifling defense to the '85 Bears.

RaZon

Reaction score
Well, I wouldn't say any quarterback. He still has to be confident. But that team could have won the Super Bowl with just a decent quarterback like Trent Dilfer. The Ravens did, and they had a similarly stifling defense to the '85 Bears.

I assumed it was obvious I was talking "starting" QB's. Actually it was.....just don;t fumble or throw INT;s.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't compare one generation of Qbs to another and you know that. The rules of the game change. In the 70's, it was impossible to put up the numbers we see Qbs putting up today. The notion that Bradshaw , Doug Williams, and Tony Romo are on the same level is laughable.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Namath was not close to great. Kenny Stabler was good, not great. Mark Rypien...... some QBs put it all together just long enough to lead a team to a title, then returned to mediocrity for most of their career.

Flacco, Dilfer, Brad Johnson, McMahon all played with historically great defenses.
The 85 Bears defense was so amazing that they are the only defense I can think of that must have had the opposing QB actually worried for his safety. They gave up 0, 0 and 10 points in their 3 playoff games. The 2000 Ravens gave up 3,10,3 and 7 points in their 4 playoff games.
2002 Bucs gave up 6,10 and 21 points.

It aint hard to win when the D allows 6 or less points.

RaZon

Reaction score
Namath was not close to great. Kenny Stabler was good, not great. Mark Rypien...... some QBs put it all together just long enough to lead a team to a title, then returned to mediocrity for most of their career.

Flacco, Dilfer, Brad Johnson, McMahon all played with historically great defenses.
The 85 Bears defense was so amazing that they are the only defense I can think of that must have had the opposing QB actually worried for his safety. They gave up 0, 0 and 10 points in their 3 playoff games. The 2000 Ravens gave up 3,10,3 and 7 points in their 4 playoff games.
2002 Bucs gave up 6,10 and 21 points.

It aint hard to win when the D allows 6 or less points.

Yes yes yes and yes, you nailed it!

Joe Namath doesn't belong in the HOF his numbers are horrendous not HOF worthy at all. And that SB was over a back up QB where his FB Matt Snell was the reason the Jets won.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes yes yes and yes, you nailed it!

Joe Namath doesn't belong in the HOF his numbers are horrendous not HOF worthy at all. And that SB was over a back up QB where his FB Matt Snell was the reason the Jets won.

I agree 100%. Namath also threw two passes that were flat out dropped by defenders in that SB. But I always consider the first 4 super bowls, or should I say, AFL VS NFL games glorified exhibition games anyway. Bragging rights games. The Colts won the NFL championship game that year, not a conference championship. Same goes for Minnesota the year after that. They won the same NFL Championship the Packers won in 1965. Except the Packers didn't play Buffalo for bragging rights.

BTW, Bragging rights Bowl 3 was a cool game to watch.