Question about football players and COVID protection

Discussion in 'Covid Zone' started by waldoputty, Jun 27, 2020.

1. waldoputty

waldoputty Well-Known Member

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    i got involved in a project that is trying to provide protection against COVID in large events like football games and concerts.

i have a question about what the NFL is doing about protecting football players.

they are looking into incorporate N95 mask layers and surgical mask layers into the helmet face shields.

so i would think that would substantially affect the player's breathing because it would increase air resistance substantially.

so then the question is how much do players huff and puff during the game.

i remember defense players get worn down and breathe heavily in long series when they cannot stop the offense. i just look at a game, but did not see too much of it.

i am sure some of you play football. so i am trying to get a feeling from those preferably with first hand experience.
    1. how much huffing and puffing would there be in a game?
    2. and would having to breathe through heavy mask material like n95 be unpopular with players?

thanks!

daboyzruleperiod likes this.
  2. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    Not going to happen. You wouldn't be able to keep that helmet on. After a long run you'd have to rip that thing off of your head.

1. Any heavy breathing and the mask has to come off.
    2. How unpopular would it be if a group was asked to walk through a desert without water?

3. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    nfl is having a company called oakley use mask material where the face mask is. it does not rub against the face. but it will make it more difficult to breathe when breathing hard.
    that is why i am asking how often do players get winded.

4. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    I've played a ton of football and I never got winded like you're saying. But I was in great condition. I had to be playing either basketball, soccer, or hockey to get winded. I think if it's not right up against your face it shouldn't be much of a problem. However I wouldn't want to play if anything restricted my breathing, period. I personally wouldn't do it even if I thought I could handle it. It's just not smart. You can collapse a lung in a worse case scenario.

5. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    which position?
    i would imagine wr and db run a lot and can get winded.
    not sure if ol get winded but dl may.

the way they are doing the mask thing, it would not be against the face, but be mounted around the grill area.
    the restriction from the mask thing may be less than a typical n95 mask because the surface area is much larger and thus less resistance to air movement.

we are not doing the mask thing and would not have the mask issues with breathing.
    so of course we like hearing about opinions like yours.

6. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    You're right. I played 95% of the time as a WR. Some DB but I was absolute garbage at it despite my speed. The two positions are totally different. But to be honest, if it's not right up against the face I'm not sure it would restrict anything. As long as there is room to breathe, not sure if it would be restrictive. I'd have to actually use it to see. But I'm not so sure how that would help . You're still going to get the air current from under the mask.

How often players get winded won't be the issue if something is restrictive. A player will probably remove that restriction if need be.

7. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    if you ever tried breathing with a n95, you should feel that the filter material introduces an resistance to sucking the air in and out. it is not resistance to your mouth moving, it is the fact that it takes much more pressure to suck the air in than without the filter.

in order for this to mask type idea to work, they would have to seal the area underneath - otherwise as you stated, air would simply be sucked in from the gaps below.

so it will take more effort to suck in the air, though there would be nothing touch your face that resists your physical motion. the best example is breathing through a straw. if the filter is very restrictive, then the straw is smaller diameter. it does not physically impede your breathing motion, but it provides resistance for the air getting to your mouth and nose.

8. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

30,873 Messages
    53,769 Likes Received
    They cannot wear masks or any coverings over their mouth and nose and play football. They cannot breath in their own CO2 for that long without passing out. A shield of some sort that gives some distance between their face and the shield might work but that's only for that part of their body.

But that only addresses the on the field part of it, the easiest part, the hardest part is getting there. Practicing distancing on the field is impossible but almost as hard in the locker room and at practice.

The other issue is there is no clear cut answer to re-infection. In S. Korea, they had people getting re-infected inside of 30 days, what's the real antibody story? Just another unknown about this at this time.

kskboys likes this.
  9. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

27,201 Messages
    29,841 Likes Received
    Yup. Not going to happen.

10. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    my company is not doing this, but this is an illustration of the artist concept of using mask materials over the mouth nose area

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nfl-new-covid-19-helmet/

[​IMG]

11. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    Yeah I have a full mask with faceplate and filters given to me by my job several years ago. You can't play sports with that. The best they can do would be similar to a visor, but between the face mask as well.

12. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    I saw that before. Someone else posted it. That would have to come off completely, and quite often.

13. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    not sure what you mean by between the face mask. this artistic render shows that the mask material is covering but not touch the mouth area.

14. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    yes, that is what i am trying to get an idea of - from people who play football

15. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    I have the 3M 6800 mask. You're not playing sports with that thing.

What I meant was, similar to visors without any enclosure from beneath.

Furboy likes this.
  16. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    oh, i see.
    obviously i hope that is the case since we could have a competitive advantage.
    we need one since we are tiny startup vs oakley

the thing about the 3m 6800 is that it presses against your mouth.
    the way oakley is doing it does not.
    it is just the matter of breathing heavily 'through a straw" instead of openly.

17. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

10,345 Messages
    8,954 Likes Received
    Mine does not press up against my mouth at all. It does enclose the mouth and nose area, but there are a few inches separating my mouth from anything else. But either way, I don't see it being too different.

Ever see people wearing face shields instead of masks? Think along those lines. I don't see any player wanting to play with a breathing restriction of any kind. Why bother playing?

18. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    everything you say is making me very happy :lmao:

19. CouchCoach

CouchCoach Moderator

30,873 Messages
    53,769 Likes Received
    How many times do y'all see players touch their faces during games?

20. waldoputty

23,271 Messages
    21,139 Likes Received
    but that would be a problem when they have the face shield also.
    and a good number of players have those