Question for LVE fans

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My main concern with him........one year as a starter. My question(s)

* Do you see him as a day-one starter (ILBer)

* Are you concern about his lack of experience ( similar to Jaylon Smith )

* Do you see him as an UPGRADE over Jaylon

Just so you know, I'm completely on the fence with this kid. A lot to love about him but he scares the hell out of me. Imagine if the success of this pick impacts your job.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Day 1 starter at MLB. Jaylon moves to Sam.

Lack of experience doesn’t bother me.

He performed at a high level his first year and the measurables are off the charts. 2 to 3 years from now who knows how good he could be.

At worst you get a linebacker who can cover and we are desperate for that.

His frame can hold more weight too.

I hope we draft him.

Upgrade over NFL Jaylon? Yes. College Jaylon? No.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have very mixed feeling on LVE.
I currently don't think he steps right in and starts, but he's such an enigma, maybe the guy eventually is great.
I DO see the potential for him to eventually be good. His "potential" ceiling is high.

As of now, I'm not a fan of taking him at 19.
Been wrong before though

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Just so you know, I'm completely on the fence with this kid. A lot to love about him but he scares the hell out of me. Imagine if the success of this pick impacts your job.

Do I see him as a day-one starter: yep.

Am I concerned about his lack of experience - not really. He's excellent at finding the ball and pretty disciplined in coverage, so I don't see any huge road blocks he has to overcome. Watch him in his last game vs Oregon, and tell me how much more seasoning he needs to become a good NFL linebacker.

Do I see him as an upgrade over Jaylon: depends where Jaylon's at. An upgrade over 2016 Jaylon, heck yes, although 2016 Jaylon was a pretty pedestrian linebacker overall. But a fully healthy Jaylon could be scary good. We don't know what kind of guy we're getting yet.

The weird thing to me is that LVE being a one year starter was never an issue before the Combine. People watched his tape and were like yep, late first round prospect. But after nuking the Combine, now he's a "workout warrior" from a small school, so IMO people are now looking for reasons to discredit him.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm a very mixed feeling on LVE.
I currently don't think he steps right in and starts, but he's such an enigma, maybe the guy eventually is great.
I DO see the potential for him to eventually be good. His "potential" ceiling is high.

As of now, I'm not a fan of taking him at 19.
Been wrong before though

Here's a nugget ........if taken at 19, he will be the FIRST MLBer drafted by Jerry in the first round.

Reaction score

I live in Boise, watch alot of BSU games, and went to his pro day this week... Generally, I am not a fan of a LB at 19, but given our need, I think he would be a high upside, high floor pick. He has exceptional athleticism for a man his size (6'4" 256). You just don't see guys his size run, change direction, and backpedal so effortlessly. Plus, he has good instincts at MLB and was good diagnosing plays. His weakness right now is taking on blocks, which is certainly a big concern at NFL level. That is part his height, part technique (using his shoulder, not his extended arms), and part playing strength. But even at 256, he has the frame to get stronger and add bulk without losing speed. To me, the upside of this guy is Brian Uhrlacher. And the downside is Karlos Dansby.

As for your questions: He is a day 1 starter at MLB (Jaylon to SLB). He is a 3 down LB, and upgrade over Jaylon, because of his elite coverage skills (pushing Jaylon to the bench on 3rd downs). No concern about his lack of experience. His production as a first-year starter was off the charts (141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, 4 FF, 4 sacks, 2 INT, 5 PD; by comparison, Rashan Evans had 74 tackles, 13 for loss, 1 FF, 6 sacks, 1 INT, 3 PD). And he's very smart, so his lack of experience should be overcome relatively quickly.

Final point: he was not heavily recruited out of high school (he played in an 8-man program at a small Idaho school) and walked on to BSU = he is self-motivated, self-made, and hungry. RKG

Johnny23

Reaction score

What lack of experience did Jaylon have? He was a 3 year starter for the Golden Domers. Him and Vander Esch are night and day coming out of college.

An upgrade to Jaylon at Mike because Jaylon is a WILL or SAM.

Yes I see him as a day one starter. He has the drive and work ethic and skills to get it done.

He needs to refine some things but I could definately see him starting for us if drafted.

DiResta

Reaction score
would be better to trade back a bit but
everybody knows the physical stuff i see him as immediate competition for Jaylons snaps and hopefully Lees successor
no matter who you like theres no guarantee for him or Evans or even a guy like Edmunds
i like him better with Rods linemen
he is as big as Randy Gregory and playing the middle i think it will work

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see LVE as a day one starter. His measureables are amazingly good for guy with that kind of size. If he’s a quick learner, he can be good quickly, but even so most rookie LBs have a learning curve early.

My concern is he may be a slight stretch at 19 but it certainly wouldn’t break my heart if they took him at 19. This kid is the kind of player we need added to our defense- immediate help, athletic, speedy and on a cheap deal for 3-4 years. Better pick than a WR here IMO.

kumizi

Reaction score
There are probably a bunch of unemployed and retired guys that are an upgrade over Jaylon. So even if you're not super high on LVE, yes he'd a day 1 starter.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I live in Boise, watch alot of BSU games, and went to his pro day this week... Generally, I am not a fan of a LB at 19, but given our need, I think he would be a high upside, high floor pick. He has exceptional athleticism for a man his size (6'4" 256). You just don't see guys his size run, change direction, and backpedal so effortlessly. Plus, he has good instincts at MLB and was good diagnosing plays. His weakness right now is taking on blocks, which is certainly a big concern at NFL level. That is part his height, part technique (using his shoulder, not his extended arms), and part playing strength. But even at 256, he has the frame to get stronger and add bulk without losing speed. To me, the upside of this guy is Brian Uhrlacher. And the downside is Karlos Dansby.

As for your questions: He is a day 1 starter at MLB (Jaylon to SLB). He is a 3 down LB, and upgrade over Jaylon, because of his elite coverage skills (pushing Jaylon to the bench on 3rd downs). No concern about his lack of experience. His production as a first-year starter was off the charts (141 tackles, 8.5 for loss, 4 FF, 4 sacks, 2 INT, 5 PD; by comparison, Rashan Evans had 74 tackles, 13 for loss, 1 FF, 6 sacks, 1 INT, 3 PD). And he's very smart, so his lack of experience should be overcome relatively quickly.

Final point: he was not heavily recruited out of high school (he played in an 8-man program at a small Idaho school) and walked on to BSU = he is self-motivated, self-made, and hungry. RKG

Damn good post!

tm1119

Reaction score
I think LB's with his measurables and coverage ability are pretty rare. And the fact that he was a walk-on high school basketball player that added 40+ lbs and turned himself into a 1st round pick tells me this kid is only going to continue to work and get better. Sky is the limit.
He definitely needs to work on his ability to fight through trash on running plays, but the thing that makes me not too worried is that it's not his instincts or play diagnosing that is the problem. He has the frame to get stronger and some technique work to use his long arms better would do wonders for him getting better in that area.
If Vea, Payne, Fitzpatrick, and James are all off the board LVE isn't a bad fall back 5th option at a position of need.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
LVE is okay in coverage, but from the comments o
In here it'd appear we are talking about Myles Jack or someone similiar.

LVE is nowhere near Myles Jack in coverage, but he's pretty good.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

I feel that LVE and Jaylon would be in a rotational at the MLB position if drafted. Vander Esch would become the nickel cover linebacker with Lee, where I could see Jaylon dropping down as the nickel rusher. Vander Esch's biggest strength right away will be in coverage. He needs more experience, needs to add more strength to his frame, where I see him day 1 equal if not better then Jaylon Smith.