Question for LVE fans

reddyuta

Reaction score
I am OK with LVE but i am also nervous,the bobby Carpenter similarities shook me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Questions for you Catch. I have followed your draft analysis over the last three years. You were one of the first to say we should draft Carson Wentz when he was only considered a second round pick.

Do the Cowboys need to use a premium pick on the defensive line?

The Cowboys need speed on offense. Would Hines, Pettis, and/or Callaway (Florida receiver) be enough?

Our front 7 on defense needs to improve any way we can improve so someone on the DL would be a great choice.

I just would prioritize the Linebackers in this class over the big body nose tackles like Payne and Vea in the 1st.

If they draft a 1 tech though I’ll be fine with it.

As far as speed on offense... Unless it’s a first rounder I really don’t see our coaches letting any of these other guys get significant snaps.

I think where we really need to become more dynamic would be the TE position.

A burner out wide and a TE that could make plays down field with our run game would do a lot in bringing back the explosive plays.

But do we prioritize a Offensive Guard or speed? I would probably prioritize the guard because the OLis our bread and butter but I would hope we don’t consider addressing it until the 2nd or in a trade down in the 1st.

This Daniels from Iowa has been getting a lot of mentions lately and he looks like a underrated Center/Guard prospect.

Also, I think Dallas will draft Calloway from Florida.

30 visit and I heard Michael Irvin is working with him on his off the field stuff.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Part of the problem is with LVE is all anyone is talking about is his athleticism and not how good he is as a football player.

None was talking about him in the top 20 until the combine so we shouldn't be now.

19 would be a huge reach IMO.

He was productive. It’s not just the athleticism.

This is a rise like DeMarcus Ware had.

LVE was considered a good football player but he tested as one of the better LBs ever at 6’4 255.

This is a potential Urlacher. That comparison is real.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He was productive. It’s not just the athleticism.

This is a rise like DeMarcus Ware had.

LVE was considered a good football player but he tested as one of the better LBs ever at 6’4 255.

This is a potential Urlacher. That comparison is real.

Should we sign Lawrence to a four year deal with a team option for the 5th year?

BobSacamano

Reaction score
I have not been blown away by Roquan Smith so if LVE is the next best or best player on the board at LB I might take a chance on him...would you me more inclined to take another player in an area of need if you could get Josey Jewell, Darius Leonard, Malik Jefferson n the 4th? Is there that much of a drop off from LVE to Jewell, Leonard, or Jefferson? I know we would have to shift Smith around...but these are all possibilities.
No way we draft Raquon with Rod's preference for 4 down lineman who can rush upfield. We're going after LBers who can get through trash and Raquon isn't that guy.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
My main concern with him........one year as a starter. My question(s)

* Do you see him as a day-one starter (ILBer)

* Are you concern about his lack of experience ( similar to Jaylon Smith )

* Do you see him as an UPGRADE over Jaylon

Just so you know, I'm completely on the fence with this kid. A lot to love about him but he scares the hell out of me. Imagine if the success of this pick impacts your job.

Are you insinuating Jaylon Smith lacked experience coming out? Because that's preposterous.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I understand the intrigue of the upside. My fear is his floor can't be put on an NFL field right now. That's not a first round pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I understand the intrigue of the upside. My fear is his floor can't be put on an NFL field right now. That's not a first round pick.

I don’t see his floor as that at all.

His absolute floor would be a coverage guy.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Our front 7 on defense needs to improve any way we can improve so someone on the DL would be a great choice.

I just would prioritize the Linebackers in this class over the big body nose tackles like Payne and Vea in the 1st.

If they draft a 1 tech though I’ll be fine with it.

As far as speed on offense... Unless it’s a first rounder I really don’t see our coaches letting any of these other guys get significant snaps.

I think where we really need to become more dynamic would be the TE position.

A burner out wide and a TE that could make plays down field with our run game would do a lot in bringing back the explosive plays.

But do we prioritize a Offensive Guard or speed? I would probably prioritize the guard because the OLis our bread and butter but I would hope we don’t consider addressing it until the 2nd or in a trade down in the 1st.

This Daniels from Iowa has been getting a lot of mentions lately and he looks like a underrated Center/Guard prospect.

Also, I think Dallas will draft Calloway from Florida.

30 visit and I heard Michael Irvin is working with him on his off the field stuff.
I like your thinking. I just hope the Jones family sees it your way. I think with right draft the Cowboys can be a double digit win team again.

Has any tight end been invited to the 30 the visits?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I like your thinking. I just hope the Jones family sees it your way. I think with right draft the Cowboys can be a double digit win team again.

Has any tight end been invited to the 30 the visits?

I don’t think they invited a TE.. I could be wrong...

I doubt we look at one until the 4th. Surely a top 5 TE will still be hanging around.. Like Ian Thomasm or Andrews from OU if we’re lucky.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My main concern with him........one year as a starter. My question(s)

* Do you see him as a day-one starter (ILBer)

* Are you concern about his lack of experience ( similar to Jaylon Smith )

* Do you see him as an UPGRADE over Jaylon

Just so you know, I'm completely on the fence with this kid. A lot to love about him but he scares the hell out of me. Imagine if the success of this pick impacts your job.
If anybody wondered why his experience was limited, he missed all but 2 games as a sophomore due to injury but the two were at the end of the season.

What are the risks:
He seems above average in coverage. I don't think that is a risk area.

He is bigger than the average 4-3 LB. He had some issues taking on blocks but his size makes it highly likely he'll develop in that area; therefore I would say moderately low risk.

Mental-Makeup.
He is intelligent which just leaves competitive nature.

Lack of competitive nature is what doomed Barbie Carpenter. Parcells didn't bother to investige that issue with Carpenter and assumed that because his Dad was an ex-player and a coach that Carpenter would have a great mental makeup. Oddly Jacob Rogers failed for the same reason as Carpenter and his Dad was also a coach.

Summary: Unless Vander Esch just lacks desire, his floor is a better player than Anthony Hitchens and his upside is Brian Urlacher.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have not been blown away by Roquan Smith so if LVE is the next best or best player on the board at LB I might take a chance on him...would you me more inclined to take another player in an area of need if you could get Josey Jewell, Darius Leonard, Malik Jefferson n the 4th? Is there that much of a drop off from LVE to Jewell, Leonard, or Jefferson? I know we would have to shift Smith around...but these are all possibilities.
Drastic drop-off from Vander Esch to Jewell physically. Think Randy Moss vs Cole Beasley.

Drastically drop-off mentally from.Vander Esch to Jefferson. Think Darren Woodson vs AOA.

Darius Leonard is probably WLB only due to size.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Never mention coming out....Jaylon is currently our starting MLBer. Would LVE be an upgrade.....

"Are you concern about his lack of experience ( similar to Jaylon Smith )"

So what on earth does the above even mean? You're not comparing them coming out but you talk about Jaylons lack of experience... Jaylon is far more experienced on both levels. This literally make no sense.

Personally, I think Vander Esch is wildly overrated and more likely a second-round prospect.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Summary: Unless Vander Esch just lacks desire, his floor is a better player than Anthony Hitchens and his upside is Brian Urlacher.

What?! Urlacher? A guy who was a fantastic safety and returned kicks/punts in college and then developed into one of the most versatile linebackers EVER, is his upside? Hitchens, a guy who played all three positions at an above average level is his FLOOR?! Are we talking about the same guy?

I know we all have let cats, but wow, that's egregious at best.