Question for the "let's let Lawrence walk" crowd

Sydla

Reaction score
We let Lawrence walk.

What do we do at DE? Some seemed to suggest it was OK because we had Irving in the wings. Well, so much for that. You can't head into the season with your DE depth chart being Charlton, Armstrong, Gregory and sometimes Crawford (who is a better interior player than outside player). That would be a bottom half of the league DE group, at best.

Consider this. WITH LAWRENCE, the Cowboys were middle of the pack in sacks and pressures. They were actually in the bottom third of teams in terms of Football Outsiders sack rate. Where do you think those numbers go with no Lawrence? Or do you just say, "hey, we weren't all that great at getting after the QB with Lawrence, so who cares if we still stink at it in 2019?"

What should Dallas do if Lawrence is not part of this team in 2019?

And note, I am not opposed to letting Lawrence walk............. as long as the franchise has a plan in place to compensate for his loss. They can't pull a WR offseason 2018 ploy where they will get "production by committee."

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
I'm not part of that crowd, but it would be interesting to see if other teams like the Seahawks like their UFA ends hit the market.

I doubt Clark, Clowney and others see the market without a huge FT next to their name. It just doesn't make sense to simply let a good to great 20 something year old DE hit the market

Graham will probably hit the market, but he's 31 and well the Eagles already used the tag on Foles.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Use the 1st round pick we get in trade and the 100m+ in cash to replace him

We can sign BGraham or DFowler, Draft a DT from Clemson and sign EThomas all for one DLaw

TCrawford is a great run stoppping SDE and RGregory has the WDE ..... rotate in BGraham, Taco and DArmstrong and we are covered

Sydla

Reaction score

We can sign BGraham or DFowler, Draft a DT from Clemson and sign EThomas all for one DLaw

TCrawford is a great run stoppping SDE and RGregory has the WDE ..... rotate in BGraham, Taco and DArmstrong and we are covered

There's an assumption there that you would get a #1 pick for him. That might be unlikely. Trades like that are rare.

But your plan makes more sense than just letting him walk and thinking Charlton, Armstrong and Gregory will pick up the slack.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There's an assumption there that you would get a #1 pick for him. That might be unlikely. Trades like that are rare.

But your plan makes more sense than just letting him walk and thinking Charlton, Armstrong and Gregory will pick up the slack.
If he isn't worth a 1st then he isn't worth 100m

KMack got 2 1sts

Which is it?

jrumann59

Reaction score

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't you called for TCraw to be gone?

LittleD

Reaction score
We let Lawrence walk.

What do we do at DE? Some seemed to suggest it was OK because we had Irving in the wings. Well, so much for that. You can't head into the season with your DE depth chart being Charlton, Armstrong, Gregory and sometimes Crawford (who is a better interior player than outside player). That would be a bottom half of the league DE group, at best.

Consider this. WITH LAWRENCE, the Cowboys were middle of the pack in sacks and pressures. They were actually in the bottom third of teams in terms of Football Outsiders sack rate. Where do you think those numbers go with no Lawrence? Or do you just say, "hey, we weren't all that great at getting after the QB with Lawrence, so who cares if we still stink at it in 2019?"

What should Dallas do if Lawrence is not part of this team in 2019?

And note, I am not opposed to letting Lawrence walk............. as long as the franchise has a plan in place to compensate for his loss. They can't pull a WR offseason 2018 ploy where they will get "production by committee."

They will do like they always do. They will find a mid-level DE who wants decent but, not bank breaking money. Then they will look to the draft to add a rookie to learn the position. The Cowboys will also get a draft pick for DLaw in next year's draft. I'm not sold on Charlton at all but, I think Armstrong might have some mojo if they give him a shot.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

KMack got 2 1sts

Which is it?

This is a dumb argument. Just because another team doesn't give up a first doesn't mean he's not worth the contract we give him. Stop posting stupid stuff.

If this is how we start judging contracts, we should put every player on the trade block before we give out a contract to know where stands.

Stick to the cap talk. This ain't it, chief.

Sydla

Reaction score

KMack got 2 1sts

Which is it?

Mack is arguably the best defensive player in the NFL. Lawrence isn't as good nor as versatile. Hence why Mack is making nearly $90MM guaranteed and Lawrence won't get nearly that much from any team.

Lawrence may be "worth" a 1st rounder, but you need a team to actually make an offer. I don't think teams are going to be tripping over themselves to offer a 1st rounder for a tagged DE. But sure, if you tagged him and someone offered a 1st round pick for him, I absolutely would entertain that trade. I just don't think it's that likely.

Sydla

Reaction score
They will do like they always do. They will find a mid-level DE who wants decent but, not bank breaking money. Then they will look to the draft to add a rookie to learn the position. The Cowboys will also get a draft pick for DLaw in next year's draft. I'm not sold on Charlton at all but, I think Armstrong might have some mojo if they give him a shot.

That's not a very good DE rotation - Gregory, Armstrong, Charlton, mid-level FA, mid round draft pick.

It strikes me as odd that when we finally put a legitimate defense on the field, people panic over a contract and want to take a step back on defense. It's bizarre to me.

PS - Note, I am not suggesting pay Lawrence the sun and the moon. If he wants Mack or even Miller money, hell no. But his contract should be one of the best amongst pure DEs.

mattjames2010

Reaction score

All of these things are not set in stone - you don't just get to pluck FA's, there is bidding and these players may choose to go elsewhere. You're asking a lot to replace the production we get from D-Law - one of those FAs isn't very good, the other will be bidded on by multiple teams, and the guys we got - Crawford, Gregory, Taco, and Armstrong are either not reliable to stay on the field or do not have the pass rushing skills to reproduce what we got by D-Law on the majority of his snaps.

Dumb. Just dumb.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Mack is arguably the best defensive player in You the NFL. Lawrence isn't as good nor as versatile. Hence why Mack is making nearly $90MM guaranteed and Lawrence won't get nearly that much from any team.

Lawrence may be "worth" a 1st rounder, but you need a team to actually make an offer. I don't think teams are going to be tripping over themselves to offer a 1st rounder for a tagged DE. But sure, if you tagged him and someone offered a 1st round pick for him, I absolutely would entertain that trade. I just don't think it's that likely.
You keep saying "tagged" like it is a deterrent to a trade

Teams work out an extension before the trade..... EVERY TIME

It is a non-issue

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No dumb was taking you off of ignore to respond......later

You can't argue, as always. Stop posting stupid crap - hedging your bets on big name FAs to replace a big name FA is just outright dumb.

Then trying to state since Mack got a first and D-Law wouldn't, he's not worth the contract - it's just silly. D-Law isn't getting a Donald/Mack contract, so it's pointless to discuss or even compare here. A team not willing to give up a first round pick and then taking on a big contract does not mean he's not worth a big contract from us.

This place is really silly sometimes.