Question for the "let's let Lawrence walk" crowd

Little Jr

Reaction score
These guys should also be against any long term deal for Elliott.

But they won't be. Because they are crazy train.
This guy will be. I've said before, let him play out his 5 year deal, tag him for 2 years then let him walk . I'm the meant time make sure we have a replacement in place .

With that said , tagging him for 2 years will depend on how rb contracts turn out over the next couple of years . It could make the tag by then go up quite a bit. If it stays around what it is now, it will be doable.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And wait four more years for a competent DE?

I agree. Dallas can't become the training ground for players. DLaw is a very good player and to keep top quality players the team will have to step up and pay him. I fully expect a deal to get done.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only reservation I have about re-signing him is how much of that fall off was due to the shoulder? He dropped off dramatically so how much of that can be attributed to his injured shoulder that supposedly will require surgery? I have to think that was the problem because he's playing in a tagged year.

That said, this is not a great DL and he's by far the best one when healthy. Charleton is looking like a bust and they need to add to the DL, not just replace pieces.

Sometimes, a team has to pay what they don't want in order just to stay even.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
76913038.jpg
Lol. What an appropriate meme!

Little Jr

Reaction score
Again, you're out of your element. Stop posting.

From 2017 to 2018 D-Law was a top 5 and top 10 defensive end. Go compare D-Law to this list of defensive ends.

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-end/

Stop comparing D-Law to Donald and Mack - he's not getting that money and it's different positions. You don't know what you're talking about but still insist on talking rather than research or asking questions. Why?

Again, give me the list of DE's in back to back seasons have had top 5 and top 10 production that justify their contracts. You have Campbell and Jordan. The rest of these guys had significant drop offs from one year to the next or have never been top 5 players.
When have compared him to Mack and Donald? I've never seen anyone compare him to Donald and when they have compared him to Mack I make it a point to tell them he's not in the same conversation with Mack.

My problem isn't with him dropping from 2017 to 2018. It's his drop off the last 12 games of the season the last 2 years.

The contract I suggested would make him the highest paid DE in the NFL. Stop reading what you want.

I've done the research and no reason for me to ask questions. I'm putting him in the pay level as Jones who hasn't dropped off the last 12 games. Who also had 5 more sacks over the past 2 season's, 12 more TFL, but 14 less tackles .

mattjames2010

Reaction score
When have compared him to Mack and Donald? I've never seen anyone compare him to Donald and when they have compared him to Mack I make it a point to tell them he's not in the same conversation with Mack.

My problem isn't with him dropping from 2017 to 2018. It's his drop off the last 12 games of the season the last 2 years.

The contract I suggested would make him the highest paid DE in the NFL. Stop reading what you want.

I've done the research and no reason for me to ask questions. I'm putting him in the pay level as Jones who hasn't dropped off the last 12 games. Who also had 5 more sacks over the past 2 season's, 12 more TFL, but 14 less tackles .

Are you kidding me? Dude, there was a thread based on a RUMOR that D-Law wanted to be paid like Mack and Donald. And multiple posters, some you interacted with, were specifically pointing out Mack and Donald's contract and comparing him to them LOL

And I have asked you multiple times to show me the "Drop" in quality - D-Law was ranked within the top 10 all season - there was no significant drop, anywhere, in his game. You're taking raw data. Again, D-Law is not Mack, he is not Donald, he is a guy who very similar to someone like Graham (D-Law is a better pass rusher) or Jones. That's the contract he's going to get.

There is really no argument to make, outside of potential injury concerns, to talk him out of getting the contract he deserves.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has he said he won’t play under the tag again?
I saw someone put that up here but have not seen anything from him about it and would be surprised if he did. He played this perfectly, even let it be known that he was OK with being tagged before they did it. However, he and his agent are aware of how much space they have and the Joneses were up front about extending the QB who is already under contract. Really stupid for a lot of reasons.

I think the reason they released Bryant was payback for how he handled the tag. He forced their hand coming off a good season and that didn't sit well with the front office.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Others have made this point and I couldn't disagree more. 1 player wont take away years of proof they sign their own. Smith, Fred, Martin, Dez, Crawford, Lee are just recent examples of cowboys taking care of their own . 1 player wouldn't destroy that. Cowboys are known to be loyal and I can argue at times too loyal.
That’s a fair point Little. But I would add that DLaw is a leader that is highly respected among his teammates. I think that’s worth a lot.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The staff has planned for this, so I would be pretty surprised if they let him walk.
Without Lawrence, who do we have that is a game-changer that is reliable? Are there still fans all in on Irving? How about Gregory?
We sign him to a 4-5 year and solidify one side of the ball.
You want as many solid DE's as you can get, same with CBs.
Some think all you have to do is go FA or draft one. No. That's not a good plan when you already HAVE one unless it's in addition to.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I saw someone put that up here but have not seen anything from him about it and would be surprised if he did. He played this perfectly, even let it be known that he was OK with being tagged before they did it. However, he and his agent are aware of how much space they have and the Joneses were up front about extending the QB who is already under contract. Really stupid for a lot of reasons.

I think the reason they released Bryant was payback for how he handled the tag. He forced their hand coming off a good season and that didn't sit well with the front office.
Here is a hint

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, but in their write-ups, they call Lawrence one of the best edge defenders in the entire NFL. He absolutely should be paid like one of the best DEs (note, not OLBs like Mack) in football. If people don't want the Cowboys to be the one paying that, fine. But there needs to be a better plan than, "Well, Armstrong is gonna explode! Taco will spice it up! Gregory will be dominant!"
The nice thing is we can sign Lawrence and not have to worry about Armstrong or Taco. We can let that play out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here is a hint

I saw that but what's the hint? Is he sending the message that he would be a no show if tagged at 20M? I am certain he felt he was playing for a long term deal last season but haven't heard any rumblings, publicly, about a hold out if tagged.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Is that a serious question? Coop can be better than Tank and Tank can still be worth a 1st rd draft pick.

ACooper was worth a 1st ergo DLaw must be worth at least a 1st as well is the thinking

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I saw that but what's the hint? Is he sending the message that he would be a no show if tagged at 20M? I am certain he felt he was playing for a long term deal last season but haven't heard any rumblings, publicly, about a hold out if tagged.
The hint is that DLaw feels he did his part once and played under the FT and made the Pro Bowl

It is now on the Cowboys to pony up and pay him and not mess with the FT again

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
One thing about the DLaw situation that few here seem to talk about is this: How the team treats him will be watched by all the young talent on this team when it’s time for them to sign a second contract.

What I mean by that is Stephen Jones has been preaching for years how important it is for young players to work hard, play well, and be a leader...then you get rewarded by a big contract. DLaw has done ALL that. He has been the opposite of guys like David Irving who have talent but waste it on the wrong things. You can’t resign everyone of course, but isn’t DLaw a guy this organization can point to and say he’s done things the right way?

I think this team needs to sign him. Some fans act like finding a DE that can rush the passer is as easy as picking the pass rush tree out back. (Right next to the “franchise QB tree”!) We draft and develop this guy, he performs, then we let him go?

:clap::clap:

LittleD

Reaction score
I agree. Dallas can't become the training ground for players. DLaw is a very good player and to keep top quality players the team will have to step up and pay him. I fully expect a deal to get done.

Reasonable, we hope? Break the bank, don't!