Question For The Old-Timers

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
You're remembering wrong. The Manster ripped off a chicago bears Kieth Van Horn's own helmet and hit guard Mark Bortz with it and was ejected and as he was walking off the field a ref was trying to get the helmet from White but he kept walking and when he go to the sidelines he tossed the helmet into the stands.
I know Randy and we actually joked about that!!!! He was and still is the Manster!!!

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Here's the huge flaw in your thinking. Players, if they don't want to keep getting flagged which would eventually put a stop to their huge pay checks have to make the change or lose those huge pay checks. Fans don't get those huge pay checks we should be able to say - no I don't like the way the game has evolved. I remember the days when a safety's primary job was as soon as a receiver's hands touched the ball was to lay the hardest hit on him to make him think about going over the middle. Today that's a 15 yarder for hitting a defenseless player. Now I know the league is thinking about ways to limit some of the injuries, but every player who has ever signed his name on a NFL contract knew there was a risk of injury and accepted those risks when they signed those contracts.

Just this week I read that HOFers now want free health insurance for life and an annual salary. I can somewhat see the insurance although at what they make they should be able to pay for their own insurance. As far as the salary, if they want money for when they get older then the league should start taking 10% of each check and putting that into individual annuity accounts so they have a retirement plan.
No ones pointing a gun at your head making you watch.

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Anything we do can be labeled a waste of time. A message board not a waste if you interact with people u enjoy being with.I for one and I am sure a lot others here we come to this board not just for the sport.The site might be about the Dallas Cowboys but it represents more than just sport. It is about the great community which you are member of.
No problem with that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I respect that.....but in my career I've seen players left paralyzed and anything that can help keep those numbers down, I am all for it. BTW, I limp every day because of this game. No regrets.
cheers to ya. I admire that. Guess what Im saying is, the league can do both..be safety minded AND still be that violent sport we grew up with. Changing rules and adding rules each offseason is killing the game...that's not the answer. What about simply making better equipment and have the coaches go old school with teaching basic fundamentals,technique? I appreciate a hard *** form tackle just as much as a TD. INJURIES ARE GETTING WORSE IF YOU NOTICE EACH YEAR. Why is that? Its because players are not allowed to have as many padded practices..and we need to go back to 3 preseason games,MAX. They are trying to remove the violence from a sport that's meant to be inherently violent! Its not helping keep players safer...its actually putting them at risk.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With the ways the game has changed so dramatically, beginning decades ago with the "Bump & Run" rule, then moving on to free agency, Salary Cap and finally, hamstringing defenses, my question is this; How much do you enjoy today's game vs back in "The Day?"

Personally, although the modern players are bigger and faster, there's an attitude of check cashing and individualism that has eroded my enjoyment of the NFL. Even with the increased athleticism, I do not believe the game is as fierce and hard fought as it once was.

In answering this question, I'm not asking you to allow any of the political crap that has infected the league to enter in ... just the game on the field and how it's played ... and if you're a "Youngster", you really don't have anything to base your remarks on. ... So, help me out, Old Dudes ...

Parcells, Wade, Garrett pretty much destroyed my passion for the Cowboys. No hope. But in a nutshell its been jerry. He hired all those clowns.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
cheers to ya. I admire that. Guess what Im saying is, the league can do both..be safety minded AND still be that violent sport we grew up with. Changing rules and adding rules each offseason is killing the game...that's not the answer. What about simply making better equipment and have the coaches go old school with teaching basic fundamentals,technique? I appreciate a hard *** form tackle just as much as a TD. INJURIES ARE GETTING WORSE IF YOU NOTICE EACH YEAR. Why is that? Its because players are not allowed to have as many padded practices..and we need to go back to 3 preseason games,MAX. They are trying to remove the violence from a sport that's meant to be inherently violent! Its not helping keep players safer...its actually putting them at risk.
A good form tackle is almost better than sex!!!!

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Salud, brother!!!

lukin2006

Reaction score
The Sunday night game against the Giants showcased how great the NFL can be... That was a great game, it was over shortly after 11, no video review, no coaches challenge and penalties were few. But I still love the NFL as much today as I did in the early 80's.

dcstar

Reaction score
When the Cowboys were on tv back in the day and on a channel the rabbit ears would pick up...I watched religiously. When they weren't on tv...I would rush to read the sports section as soon as I got up to see who won along with stats etc.

Now...I tape the games, watch them in about 45 minutes to an hour...fast forwarding through all the nonsense "feed me" and the antics the receivers make after catching a routine ball for first down. Bit ridiculous really. These clowns today need to act like they've been there before.

I also follow the Oakland Raiders since they were my team in the old AFL before the Super Bowl etc. Darryl Lamonica vs Roman Gabriel was always a great show.

And honestly...if I miss a game...no biggie.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
LOL.

Just to clarify I haven't experienced highs/lows like that since the 90s. I also no longer hate any team (although I really only hated the Commanders; living in CA it always amused me the number of 49er fans who tried to make me care enough about their team to hate them).
I think the game has been so gentrified that it is impossible to hate other teams.

You can be jealous of success and so on, like people that hate the Patriots.

But the era of true rivalries where players hate each other and inflicted that malice on the field has been replaced by jersey swaps at the end of games.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the game has been so gentrified that it is impossible to hate other teams.

You can be jealous of success and so on, like people that hate the Patriots.

But the era of true rivalries where players hate each other and inflicted that malice on the field has been replaced by jersey swaps at the end of games.
I think that hatred has always been for the fans. Players have always had respect for each other.

Alexander

Reaction score
We’ve gone from Doomsday, the Steel Curtain, Mean Joe, the Snake, and the Manster to ...

Hot Boyz and the Honey Badger.

‘Nuff said.
I understand that "Hot Boyz" is some reference to some rap music song.

I refuse to acknowledge it as a real nickname.

It is nice if the players themselves like it, that is what they do.

But imagine watching a documentary twenty years from now trying to explain the reference.

Alexander

Reaction score
I think that hatred has always been for the fans. Players have always had respect for each other.
I disagree.

Diron Talbert actively stomped on Roger Staubach's finger and broke it. Harvey Martin marched with a wreath and threw it in the locker room.

That was passion.

Now, we get Earl Thomas coming and accosting Garrett wanting him to sign him.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I disagree.

Diron Talbert actively stomped on Roger Staubach's finger and broke it. Harvey Martin marched with a wreath and threw it in the locker room.

That was passion.

Now, we get Earl Thomas coming and accosting Garrett wanting him to sign him.

& i'm willing to bet that if E.T. ever becomes a cowboy, he will have passion for the star ...

I doubt he will become part of the 'hotboyz' nickname though ... or I surely hope not.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a great experience. I never got to know any of the players, but he seems like a truly good guy. I saw Lilly and Andre' come into the pharmacy I worked at in college. I was in awe. I could have died that day and felt like my life was complete!
I played some high school football as a QB and punter. Football is more than a sport - I learned some valuable life lessons.