Questions for the Cowboys 2018 season

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Were gonna find out real quick how good this Cowboy team is! That opening game against the Panthers will tell us a lot because they have very good rush defense! One of the best and I believe Dak is gonna have to win this game through the air. And the defense will have their hands full with the Panthers offense. A healthy Cam with McCaffery, Greg Olson and DJ Moore. The Panthers always play the Saints and Falcons tough but they are the 3rd team in their division and this is a must win game to start the season for tie breaker reasons down the road. I want see if Dak can carry this team and work the middle section of the field to back off this defense.
An acid test to begin the season. Every year starts with hope, excitement, and a bottle of bourbon (for celebration or cussin'.) And that is all we really know until the whistle blows. It's fun to play the GM/Coach game, but it feels like a different flavor of a Cowboys team. Maybe the anchor players of the team are getting some support. Let's hope the coaching and game planning is up to the task.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
14. Which Cowboys are in their last year with the team?

Crawford, TWill, Cole Beasley, Jeff Heath, and Byron Jones.[/QUOTE]

The cowboys have already exercised the 5th year option on Byron so nah this isn't his last year @Flamma

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Were gonna find out real quick how good this Cowboy team is! That opening game against the Panthers will tell us a lot because they have very good rush defense! One of the best and I believe Dak is gonna have to win this game through the air. And the defense will have their hands full with the Panthers offense. A healthy Cam with McCaffery, Greg Olson and DJ Moore. The Panthers always play the Saints and Falcons tough but they are the 3rd team in their division and this is a must win game to start the season for tie breaker reasons down the road. I want see if Dak can carry this team and work the middle section of the field to back off this defense.

I don't think anyone sees this as a must win game from either side. Well, all games are basically must win games, but you know what I mean.
Also I will not judge anything from game one. When a majority of the starters are seeing any true playing time. If anything, the Panthers only advantage, other than home field, their team did not seem it changed as much as our team.

Agree, need to see Dak carry the team and be the leader.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pre TC answers...maybe ask these as well as any others added in a compiled list after TC. May be interesting to see the differences.

1. How has this team improved and why should we believe (or not believe) they will compete for a championship?
They looked to have improved on D though they did not address a few areas, O should be better as the OL goes but still many changes and too many question marks yet. Not even going to think if the can compete for the division title at this point other than a possibility only.

2. Do you believe the Cowboys’ “Receivers by Committee” approach this year will improve the team’s passing game? Why’re why not?
Remains to be seen, but not a big fan of this approach, at any position. But this also depends on Dak.

3. Will the running game return to 2016 form with Zeke in line to play a full season? Why or why not?
yes. do not have to explain why or why not.

4. What will Dak have to do this year to improve to the point that he’s a lock as the future at QB?
improve accuracy, improve footwork, improve release time, WIN the games when he has to.

5. What is the minimum Garrett must accomplish this year to keep his job? (Or is there any scenario where he is fired in season or after season?)
Needs to make the smart in game decisions and adjustments. He needs to win us games, not lose them with his decisions. Playoffs or fired is my opinion

6. Will DeMarcus Lawrence duplicate or exceed his 2017 performance or decline?
duplicate

7. Will the defense as a unit improve, tread water, or decline?
improve, may not a lot stat wise, but by not giving up big plays to lose games.

8. Will Jaylon Smith prove in year three that he is a bonafide NFL LB or prove to be a disappointment?
need to see it on the field first

9. Which side of the ball will have the best year and why?
right now I will say D

10. How has the offense improved or declined this offseason?
declined because they fired Dez, and do not know who will replace him for sure. Decline because who replaces Witten. Improved because they solidified the OL and Zeke is back to game plan for 16 games for sure.

11. Will the defense become more or less aggressive, or about the same this year in attacking offenses?
more aggressive

12. Who will be the new emerging players and who will decline.
need to see TC first, all is speculation at this point

13. Will Rico Gathers make this team’s final 53 man roster in Sept.?
hard to say, need to see him in TC also

Crawford and Twill. Or I hope so.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
1. How has this team improved and why should we believe (or not believe) they will compete for a championship?

can't know until I see them play but what I think will be better is: OL, DL, DB's. I feel overall our D will be a bit better.

2. Do you believe the Cowboys’ “Receivers by Committee” approach this year will improve the team’s passing game? Why’re why not?

Jury is out still on this one ... I reall know little of the talent and performance levels except TWill (rarely impressed) and Beasley (he got shut down pretty well last year).

3. Will the running game return to 2016 form with Zeke in line to play a full season? Why or why not?

I say yes because of the OL strengths and a more focused Zeke (don't think for a moment the whole suspension thing didn't affect him and the whole team greatly).

4. What will Dak have to do this year to improve to the point that he’s a lock as the future at QB?

Not be forcing balls to a distracted and rarely motivated receiver.

5. What is the minimum Garrett must accomplish this year to keep his job? (Or is there any scenario where he is fired in season or after season?)

I don't care because I don't trust Jerrah to get a dynamite replacement. I feel quite a disruption in the leadership force as far as forging a new direction.

6. Will DeMarcus Lawrence duplicate or exceed his 2017 performance or decline?

Depends on if the refs allow him to be regularly held like last year.

7. Will the defense as a unit improve, tread water, or decline?

Answered above.

8. Will Jaylon Smith prove in year three that he is a bonafide NFL LB or prove to be a disappointment?

I think so, motivation has been there and I think physical is getting stronger. Not sure of his mental game yet.

9. Which side of the ball will have the best year and why?

equally strong with some weaknesses.

10. How has the offense improved or declined this offseason?

Improved ... see above.

11. Will the defense become more or less aggressive, or about the same this year in attacking offenses?

I think we have more team speed which allows more aggressiveness which we will incorporate.

12. Who will be the new emerging players and who will decline.

LVE and Connor Williams I hope along with all our DB's on the upswing. I don't see decliners ... maybe some DL'ers.

13. Will Rico Gathers make this team’s final 53 man roster in Sept.?

I don't think so . . . just too many hints in the press about him not making it. Plus his attitude seems a bit offf (arrogant).

TWill and Irving fo sho. I didn't look at whose eligible for FA's.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some Additional q’s:

15. In 2018 will Gene Jones add more artwork inside or outside the “stayjum”?
16. Who will be inducted into the ROH this season?
17. Will the Cowboys play a game in 2018 with a uniform configuration we have never seen?
18. Will Dan Bailey return to form or is he declining?
19. Will the Cowboys make the playoffs as NFC East champs or as a WC?
20. Will the TE position performance remain about the same or drop?

CPanther95

Reaction score
16. Who will be inducted into the ROH this season?

Jimmy Johnson for sure. Now that reports are out that it is being considered, if he isn't put in Jerry will have to face another 25 years of questions about the friction between them.

GMO415

Reaction score
#20. Expect a two TE attack offense similar to NEs when they had Hernandez...IF Rico remains.